Glorious Greenock Morton v A Shite Scheme in Glasgow

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used to love going to Cappielow in the 90's when the cowshed was opened properly. It was a proper ground with a proper atmosphere.

I can honestly say the visits over the last few years have been terrible. Even last year when we won 4-1 there was no atmosphere. I like standing at the game, but the WDE really is fucking pathetic for the 21st century. 

Happily we won't be visiting it for a few years after Tuesday. 

5 minutes ago, Silvio said:

I used to love going to Cappielow in the 90's when the cowshed was opened properly. It was a proper ground with a proper atmosphere.

I can honestly say the visits over the last few years have been terrible. Even last year when we won 4-1 there was no atmosphere. I like standing at the game, but the WDE really is fucking pathetic for the 21st century. 

Been wondering when we pick up the title this season if we could consider giving Morton their big day out in the Renfrewshire cup back again.

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

This is not about taking the piss the real fact is you have the worst away end in the championship and even lower clubs from lower leagues getting wet is bad getting muck on your cloths because levels have no concrete is nothing short of no respect for visiting fans so Morton do not deserve the money it is extremely ad value for money on a cold wet windy day. 

There are many factors that contribute to enjoyment of days out overall for away games such as proximity to pubs and train stations, but when it comes to the stadium itself my primary concern is having an away end which provides a good view of the game.

With this in mind, Love Street was one of my favourites. Really steep and regardless of where you were in the away end you had a clear view of what was going on in every area of the park, including the opposite box. The WDE is similar, it's not quite as steep but it still provides a tremendous view of the whole pitch which means being behind the goal isn't a problem.

Contrast this with St Mirren Park, where you're stuck behind the goal in a stand where the elevation is so poor that you're effectively oblivious to what's going on at the other end of the pitch. Earlier in the season when we drew 2-2 St Mirren had one penalty awarded and another big appeal for one at the other end from the away fans, with questions on both over whether the incidents took place inside or outside the box. No Morton fan could possibly make a judgement on that at the game, because the view is so terrible that you can't even make out the lines of the box from behind the other goal.

By all means criticise the Wee Dublin End for the lack of a roof and outdated catering and toilet facilities, no one can argue with that, but at least you can actually watch the game properly from it. If an incident like your penalty at SMP happens at the Sinclair St end on Tuesday you'll get a clear view of it, just as you would as an away fan at, for example, East End Park. Being behind the goal doesn't guarantee the view will be shite everywhere, but it does at St Mirren. It's a fucking appalling place to watch football which makes having nicer facilities a bit of a moot point: St Mirren Park has by a distance the worst view of any ground in this division for away fans.

15 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

There are many factors that contribute to enjoyment of days out overall for away games such as proximity to pubs and train stations, but when it comes to the stadium itself my primary concern is having an away end which provides a good view of the game.

With this in mind, Love Street was one of my favourites. Really steep and regardless of where you were in the away end you had a clear view of what was going on in every area of the park, including the opposite box. The WDE is similar, it's not quite as steep but it still provides a tremendous view of the whole pitch which means being behind the goal isn't a problem.

Contrast this with St Mirren Park, where you're stuck behind the goal in a stand where the elevation is so poor that you're effectively oblivious to what's going on at the other end of the pitch. Earlier in the season when we drew 2-2 St Mirren had one penalty awarded and another big appeal for one at the other end from the away fans, with questions on both over whether the incidents took place inside or outside the box. No Morton fan could possibly make a judgement on that at the game, because the view is so terrible that you can't even make out the lines of the box from behind the other goal.

By all means criticise the Wee Dublin End for the lack of a roof and outdated catering and toilet facilities, no one can argue with that, but at least you can actually watch the game properly from it. If an incident like your penalty at SMP happens at the Sinclair St end on Tuesday you'll get a clear view of it, just as you would as an away fan at, for example, East End Park. Being behind the goal doesn't guarantee the view will be shite everywhere, but it does at St Mirren. It's a fucking appalling place to watch football which makes having nicer facilities a bit of a moot point: St Mirren Park has by a distance the worst view of any ground in this division for away fans.

When we are in the WDE anyone in the back few rows, nearest the main stand, can't see anything that happens in the corner of the Cowshed/WDE. It may be because we bring a bigger crowd than most, and we all stand as opposed to sit on the wet benches of course.

55 minutes ago, Silvio said:

There is no atmosphere in the WDE how can you possibly create an atmosphere in an open terrace/ bench stand. The only way that you could get back to the old days would be to split the coo shed and properly segregate it.  

27 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

The catering trailer in the Dublin end serves the best food for me than most away grounds including the premiership the staff work very hard when we visit no complaints from me there. Main stand is passible when it's raining but we can't all in in there. If the away end was roofed and you put up the flat packed stand you would have a a ground  with a good atmosphere with larger crowds surly you would like that , however that takes money which means your squad would suffer for a wee while but hey hoo most clubs have went down that road to modernise . 

As for Saints stadium get your point on view at least it's a modern stadium big enough for our needs and thankfully the club has moved forward by opening a terrific facility in a fans bar granted membership only but it's a terrific facility well worth home fans joining. We can all take the micky out each other having a strong Morton and St mirren is good for each other on match day's. 

There is no atmosphere in the WDE how can you possibly create an atmosphere in an open terrace/ bench stand. The only way that you could get back to the old days would be to split the coo shed and properly segregate it.  

I hate standing on open terrace too but the atmosphere provided by yourselves at the 1-4 game is the noisiest I've heard in many a year at Cappielow so that argument doesn't wash I'm afraid.

27 minutes ago, Silvio said:

When we are in the WDE anyone in the back few rows, nearest the main stand, can't see anything that happens in the corner of the Cowshed/WDE. It may be because we bring a bigger crowd than most, and we all stand as opposed to sit on the wet benches of course.

Obviously a safety ticket inspection was not inspected on a rainy day these benches can be slippy so you have to be careful not too slip you have to stand on them due to puddles forming. It's not about point scoring here it's an unacceptable fact that needs addressing.

Obviously a safety ticket inspection was not inspected on a rainy day these benches can be slippy so you have to be careful not too slip you have to stand on them due to puddles forming. It's not about point scoring here it's an unacceptable fact that needs addressing.

Unfortunately we don't have the financial means to do so.

1 minute ago, LargsTON said:

Unfortunately we don't have the financial means to do so.

Understand that if only the top league extended it by adding four more teams then the Mortons would have a better chance of generating more money but the SFA are so biased towards elite clubs they can't see the bigger pricture.

1 hour ago, Colkitto said:

Image may contain: 2 people, people playing sports, people standing and outdoor

I quite like this sort of banter. It just highlights that this win was so important to them.

The fact that it's only the second win this millennia shouldn't deflect from that, nor that since 2000 their current win record against us ranks at just over 10%.

I just think we should let them celebrate small victories. After all, isn't that what being a good neighbour is all about? You know, letting the little things slide because it makes someone else happy? And we all know that living in or around Greenock must be somewhat devoid of happiness.

I extend the hand of friendship for our Greenock cousins in what are quite clearly troubling times for them.

4 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I quite like this sort of banter. It just highlights that this win was so important to them.

The fact that it's only the second win this millennia shouldn't deflect from that, nor that since 2000 their current win record against us ranks at just over 10%.

I just think we should let them celebrate small victories. After all, isn't that what being a good neighbour is all about? You know, letting the little things slide because it makes someone else happy? And we all know that living in or around Greenock must be somewhat devoid of happiness.

I extend the hand of friendship for our Greenock cousins in what are quite clearly troubling times for them.

I've already pointed out that goal by Ricki Lamie was scored in the 90+3 minute to secure a 1-1 draw for a 10-man Morton.

25 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Since 03/01/2000 Morton have met the skunks on 16 occasions (ALL MATCHES)! Morton's record reads Won 3, Drawn 7, Lost 6, For 22, Against 25.

That gives Morton a win ratio of 18.75%.

Archived