Bouncing back QP v The Dirty Rovers

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The defending for that 2nd goal was an absolute joke. Utterly bottled it in a game where a win would of put us back in the mix. Typical that 2 ex players scored aswell. David Galt, outstanding again, 100% man of the match. 

Walking out next to two obviously neutral fans. They were trying to figure out why after being so on top at half-time QP would choose to sit so deep and defend most of the second when Rovers looked so inept. If two complete strangers can spot where it goes wrong why can't the head coach not figure it out.

I'm tired of hearing about the promotion blah, blah. He's got a good squad and he's not getting the best from them. Why would you want a gifted player with a great shot like Galt sitting 30 metres from your own goal? Why take Mortimer off when he was dragging their defence all over the place? Why have Donnelly dawdling around the park when you have Duff and Docherty on the bench who will scrap and face their opponents goal?

No doubt we'll get the usual post-match "individual errors" pish. Guys at this level will always make mistakes so why play risky tactics that are dependant on everyone being perfect.

I'm gutted for the players who put in a good shift and got a poor return for their efforts. Unfortunately this won't be the last time they feel cheated. Snakes and Ladders set for Xmas?

All that said BYOS, it was absolutely awful defending that gave them the goals. We looked fine up until we got the "3rd goal " chopped off. Then Rovers were the better team and dominated possession. Could easily have been 2-2 at half time.. one hitting the post and another off the line. I thought we were going to get away with it as the defence were on their game, until the absolute madness at the end. Feels like a defeat after Forfar winning 

Glad I decided to go along to this, purely for the #scenes at the end.

For 87 minutes Rovers looked like a rabble. Jack Iredale scored the sort of goal we seem to be conceding every week, floating in to power in a nice easy header from a corner. Not happy enough with shipping an easy early goal, 'vers then went one better. Michael White's long clearance was flicked on perfectly, and David Galt roasted Daniel Lightbody who decided it would be a good idea to just plant him on his backside. 

Adam Cummins took a solid, hard brexit, centre-half of a penalty, and inside ten minutes most around me in the away end were trying to work out just what aspect of football they enjoyed.

Queens very nearly had a hat-trick of goals from dead balls inside the first 20 minutes, as Cummins wandered past a chaotic looking Rovers defence and nodded the ball in, only to be denied by an offside flag.

A few minutes later the action finally reached the other end. Connor Shields - who along with Trouten looked like the only red shirted player who wasn't totally new to football cracked the post, before the ball cleared off the line from the resultant corner.

In the second-half Queens were absolutely cruising it, without ever forcing Dan Potts into any form of serious action. Mortimer (#9?) looked very handy, and was at the heart of everything decent, so I assumed he picked up a knock when Gus hooked him. If it was tactical or to rest him then he's had a 'mare.

I was just thinking how typical it was that Alan 'Goals' Trouten hadn't found the net when, low and behold, he nodded in a free-kick. A classic Trouten goal where he found space and took the chance. Just as I was getting ready to tweet about it the ball was in the net again. I've no idea what happened, but I looked up and big Joao Victoria was stabbing it in. The big man has scored near enough every single time I've seen him play, and made an impact (as per) when he came on. If he wants me to just follow him around during his career as a good luck charm my rates are very reasonable.

Anyway it made for a very enjoyable ending to a pretty odd game. Things started weirdly too when the steward at the gate did a full airport security pat-down on me before I was allowed in. Wasn't expecting that at Queen's Park against Albion Rovers!

All the best to both you lot for the rest of the season. Always enjoy a trip to Hampden, and the Rovers fans were a good laugh today.

Glad I decided to go along to this, purely for the #scenes at the end.
For 87 minutes Rovers looked like a rabble. Jack Iredale scored the sort of goal we seem to be conceding every week, floating in to power in a nice easy header from a corner. Not happy enough with shipping an easy early goal, 'vers then went one better. Michael White's long clearance was flicked on perfectly, and David Galt roasted Daniel Lightbody who decided it would be a good idea to just plant him on his backside. 
Adam Cummins took a solid, hard brexit, centre-half of a penalty, and inside ten minutes most around me in the away end were trying to work out just what aspect of football they enjoyed.
Queens very nearly had a hat-trick of goals from dead balls inside the first 20 minutes, as Cummins wandered past a chaotic looking Rovers defence and nodded the ball in, only to be denied by an offside flag.
A few minutes later the action finally reached the other end. Connor Shields - who along with Trouten looked like the only red shirted player who wasn't totally new to football cracked the post, before the ball cleared off the line from the resultant corner.
In the second-half Queens were absolutely cruising it, without ever forcing Dan Potts into any form of serious action. Mortimer (#9?) looked very handy, and was at the heart of everything decent, so I assumed he picked up a knock when Gus hooked him. If it was tactical or to rest him then he's had a 'mare.
I was just thinking how typical it was that Alan 'Goals' Trouten hadn't found the net when, low and behold, he nodded in a free-kick. A classic Trouten goal where he found space and took the chance. Just as I was getting ready to tweet about it the ball was in the net again. I've no idea what happened, but I looked up and big Joao Victoria was stabbing it in. The big man has scored near enough every single time I've seen him play, and made an impact (as per) when he came on. If he wants me to just follow him around during his career as a good luck charm my rates are very reasonable.
Anyway it made for a very enjoyable ending to a pretty odd game. Things started weirdly too when the steward at the gate did a full airport security pat-down on me before I was allowed in. Wasn't expecting that at Queen's Park against Albion Rovers!
All the best to both you lot for the rest of the season. Always enjoy a trip to Hampden, and the Rovers fans were a good laugh today.
Jack Iredale loan contract finished. Now goes back to morton

Jack Iredale loan contract finished. Now goes back to morton

Only my second game this season, but from what I’ve seen Iredale looks class , think he’ll be a big loss.

My son and I still can’t believe how poorly QP ended the game. On a plus t..thought Mortimer and Galt put in impressive shifts. Donnelly still not winning me over .

45 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

started weirdly too when the steward at the gate did a full airport security pat-down on me before I was allowed in. Wasn't expecting that at Queen's Park against Albion Rovers!

Don't get me started on that pish. Been like that at the last 3 home games. You can bet that nobody going in the main entrance at Hampden is getting searched, only us plebs. Stewards ripping the piss 

2 minutes ago, Mick1867 said:

Don't get me started on that pish. Been like that at the last 3 home games. You can bet that nobody going in the main entrance at Hampden is getting searched, only us plebs. Stewards ripping the piss 

I mean I understand the need for security in this day and age, but it's the first time I think it's ever happened to me at a lower league game. I can't imagine a lower Scottish League One clash is particularly high up on ISIS's hitlist.

Usual suspects in, I see. We win = the players. We don’t win = Gus. One of said posters had to change their username because he embarrassed himself so much on the issue of MacPherson that it got quite awkward when we were promoted.

1 hour ago, forgot my socks said:

Iredales last game. Loan period finished and now back to morton

Sad way for it to end if that's his last game for us. Immense for 89 minutes and fully deserving of his MOM award (although Cummins and Summers were also contenders), but now his last touch of the ball will be what he's most remembered for. Judging by the way he slumped onto the turf after the goal and at the final whistle, I think he fully appreciated just how big a blot on his copybook that was.

On a related issue, who will Gus replace him with? Does he have a loan signing lined up, will he rely on Gibbie, Kevin Green or even Lewis Magee, or is it Bryan Wharton's time? Was talking with the big man today who confirmed that his loan period with Pollok had been extended until the end of the sesaon, but that crucially it was on an "immediate recall option" basis. He's absolutely desperate to return to us, and said that he's due to see Gus at training next week to review things.

Gibson being so prone to injury is always a concern, and Magee's still very young, whilst the jury is still very much out on KG, so perhaps Bryan's still got the chance of a recall?

6 minutes ago, an86 said:

Usual suspects in, I see. We win = the players. We don’t win = Gus.

From this comment can I assume that you feel Gus was blameless for what (to my mind) was a substitute nightmare and a tactical farce by defending so deep for the majority of the second half when it was obvious we could rip a hole in their defence courtesy of David Galt et al?

I am afraid it was plain for all to se that MacPherson has little tactical ability. Not for the first time we have sat back to defend a lead but to do this as our main tactic from half time onwards was quite clearly stupid. It really looked that if we had scored a third the scorer would have been substituted. To use these tactics with these lads is nonsense and with Burns at right back is criminal. OK, stupid mistake for their equaliser but we should not have been in that position and had we not been intent on retreating it would never have happened.

You can't tell me it was the players' decision to play so deep from half time. It is clearly in MacPherson's head that this is what we should do. Sorry Gus, but you are just wrong. You need to read a few more pages of the tactics book to learn something else.

MacPherson lost us two points today, no mistake.

Archived