Top 30 Scottish football grounds 2018

PB 4.2

Not that it matters as I’ve missed this deadline but I have insomnia so

1. Gayfield. Don’t care what anyone else says, best lower league ground by a mile and I wouldn’t swap it for anyone else’s ground in a million years. Someone mentioned the atmosphere. I’ve been at plenty of games with a very good atmosphere at Gayfield, obviously these games wouldn’t have been against his team Airdrie. The majority of Home grounds in this country lack an atmosphere for a run of the mill league fixture.

2. East End Park. It’s just a very tidy football ground although the seats being red for whatever reason gets on my nerves.

3. Glebe Park. 1st of 3 Angus grounds in my top 10.

4. Tynecastle. Best big stadium in the country.

5. Cappielow. Never been but desperate to, character and love the big unsheltered Kop like away end.

6. Annan. Social club and day out takes it to another level.

7. Station Park. Just decent. Shame it only gets a half decent crowd when we visit.

8. Borough Briggs. Many good memories. Another one with a lot of character. Sitting on the grass behind the goal on a sunny day is great.

9. Motherwell. Another one I’ve not been too, but it’s just different, always liked it for whatever reason. Hopefully get a cup draw there at some stage.

10. Tannadice. Maybe biased but remember seeing it when I was younger and being fascinated by it. Very weird stadium but a bit of character about it. Also looks so out of place.

The absolute worst by a country mile are your East Fife’s/Dumbarton’s/Airdrie’s and Clyde’s.

elsewhere.

Swap the Glebe with Gayfield and you've pretty much read my mind, even the bit about the red seats at EEP. That said, if they'd gone for black and white then it would probably look pretty tacky (see St Mirren Park).

Lucky me to have been to three of these grounds in just over the last fortnight (EEP, Tannadice, Glebe)

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/6/2018 at 21:00, PB 4.2 said:

Going to close this a full day early because entries have dried up.   Thanks to the thousands who've voted.  

I'd made an unwritten rule that entries from @Dindeleux and @Melanius Mullarkey wouldn't count on the basis that they are awful forum members.   Thankfully, we've been blessed with a no-show from this duo of subversive merchants.   

So we have a clean poll.   Number 30 to be revealed sometime in January.  

Wish I'd read this before spending 10 minutes doing my top ten. Still, kept me away from actual work for a bit. 

5. Cappielow. Never been but desperate to, character and love the big unsheltered Kop like away end.

9. Motherwell. Another one I’ve not been too, but it’s just different, always liked it for whatever reason. Hopefully get a cup draw there at some stage.

This is up there with Darren Mackie reading champion. Best grounds, I’ve never been but must be good?!
That apart, good list [emoji106]

This is up there with Darren Mackie reading champion. Best grounds, I’ve never been but must be good?!
That apart, good list [emoji106]

It never said best grounds you’ve been too tbf?

I was obsessed with football stadiums in Scotland after I first started going to away days when I was just starting secondary school. There was a website called football ground guide which had all the grounds in both Scotland and England that I used to always look at, probably still exists, and from the moment I saw both Morton’s and Motherwells grounds I just thought they were great. Something different about the both of them for me that just stands out.

Remember you see these stadiums on the TV and in highlights too.

Will hopefully get one day but they’re two teams we just don’t seem to play very often, we took Motherwell to a midweek replay in the Scottish many years back but I think I was only 9, drew the first leg 1-1 I’m sure and I was at the home leg, as for Morton I couldn’t tell you the last time we played, I think we might’ve passed by each other in the league a few times.

Cappielow isn't bad to look at. A good old fashioned stadium. But the seating area isn't fit for purpose anymore. I'm not even 6 foot and I was cramped in.

I don't really like Fir Park either. I've sat in every stand except the one behind the goal where the home fans sit. It's always felt dark and dull every time I've visited (every game was daytime and bright). Duno what it is about it. Again, to look at it's nice but I didn't really enjoy the feel of the place.

It never said best grounds you’ve been too tbf?

I was obsessed with football stadiums in Scotland after I first started going to away days when I was just starting secondary school. There was a website called football ground guide which had all the grounds in both Scotland and England that I used to always look at, probably still exists, and from the moment I saw both Morton’s and Motherwells grounds I just thought they were great. Something different about the both of them for me that just stands out.

Remember you see these stadiums on the TV and in highlights too.

Will hopefully get one day but they’re two teams we just don’t seem to play very often, we took Motherwell to a midweek replay in the Scottish many years back but I think I was only 9, drew the first leg 1-1 I’m sure and I was at the home leg, as for Morton I couldn’t tell you the last time we played, I think we might’ve passed by each other in the league a few times.

Very true I suppose and it’s your list so fair enough. I’d struggle to say this ground is better than that ground if I hadn’t actually been. And at least you put a list together, I couldn’t be fucked.

Very true I suppose and it’s your list so fair enough. I’d struggle to say this ground is better than that ground if I hadn’t actually been. And at least you put a list together, I couldn’t be fucked.

Need

Kilmarnock
Inverness
Ross County
Morton
Motherwell
QoTS
Falkirk
Partick
St Mirren
Livingston

To complete the collection. 25 so should get to it one day. Played QoTS a few times in the league but played football at that time and only other team there we seem to play is ICT. Hopefully beat Ayr for a third time on the 20th and get a draw to one of these places.

Need

Kilmarnock
Inverness
Ross County
Morton
Motherwell
QoTS
Falkirk
Partick
St Mirren
Livingston

To complete the collection. 25 so should get to it one day. Played QoTS a few times in the league but played football at that time and only other team there we seem to play is ICT. Hopefully beat Ayr for a third time on the 20th and get a draw to one of these places.

Impressive haul so far! Something I think I’ll try and do once I’m old/retired.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Need

Kilmarnock
Inverness
Ross County
Morton
Motherwell
QoTS
Falkirk
Partick
St Mirren
Livingston

To complete the collection properly, you need to see Arbroath play at every ground. Someone (Pete Galt?) made the papers a few years ago when he visited Annan to collect the set.

Personally, the only ground I've never visited is Peterhead, but I've also never seen Arbroath away at Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Dundee United or Aberdeen, though I have attended other matches at these grounds.

On 1/6/2018 at 05:42, 19QOS19 said:

Are folk voting for Cappielow as a pisstake? The most uncomfortable stand I've ever had the displeasure of sitting in.

Folk who don't support diddy nothing clubs have the option of standing in the magnificent Wee Dublin End instead (and even some minnows now get a section of the Cowshed opened for them, depending on when the club can be arsed doing so).  

I'd prefer a recreation of this as the away section, as you're not really fit to grace the most historic ground in Scottish football.

Related image

Folk who don't support diddy nothing clubs have the option of standing in the magnificent Wee Dublin End instead (and even some minnows now get a section of the Cowshed opened for them, depending on when the club can be arsed doing so).  
I'd prefer a recreation of this as the away section, as you're not really fit to grace the most historic ground in Scottish football.
 images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSHKKyx6lC_cEzC3Q9nuEuq34dY1vy_qunHi5fatvXVOAFW1rmF

I've been behind the goals once. The Scottish Cup game the season we reached the final (maybe one day you'll experience that). It wasn't too bad but it was pishing down and I ended up trying to find a seat in the second half. I too would like to see a recreation of your picture but around the outside of the stand before they demolish it.

To complete the collection properly, you need to see Arbroath play at every ground. Someone (Pete Galt?) made the papers a few years ago when he visited Annan to collect the set.
Personally, the only ground I've never visited is Peterhead, but I've also never seen Arbroath away at Kilmarnock, St Mirren, Dundee United or Aberdeen, though I have attended other matches at these grounds.

Have this note on my phone, 1 tick I’ve been too 2 ticks I’ve seen Arbroath.

Aberdeen [emoji736]
Celtic [emoji736][emoji736]
Dundee [emoji736]
Dundee United [emoji736]
Hamilton Academical [emoji736][emoji736]
Heart of Midlothian [emoji736][emoji736]
Inverness Caledonian Thistle
Kilmarnock
Motherwell
Partick Thistle
Ross County
St. Johnstone [emoji736][emoji736]
Alloa Athletic [emoji736][emoji736]
Dumbarton [emoji736][emoji736]
Falkirk
Greenock Morton
Hibernian [emoji736][emoji736]
Livingston
Queen of the South
Raith Rovers [emoji736][emoji736]
Rangers [emoji736][emoji736]
St. Mirren
Airdrieonians [emoji736][emoji736]
Albion Rovers [emoji736][emoji736]
Ayr United [emoji736][emoji736]
Brechin City [emoji736][emoji736]
Cowdenbeath [emoji736][emoji736]
Dunfermline Athletic [emoji736][emoji736]
Forfar Athletic [emoji736][emoji736]
Peterhead [emoji736][emoji736]
Stenhousemuir [emoji736][emoji736]
Stranraer [emoji736][emoji736]
Annan Athletic[emoji736][emoji736]
Arbroath [emoji736][emoji736]
Berwick Rangers [emoji736][emoji736]
Clyde [emoji736][emoji736]
East Fife [emoji736][emoji736]
East Stirlingshire [emoji736][emoji736]
Elgin City [emoji736][emoji736]
Montrose [emoji736][emoji736]
Queen's Park [emoji736][emoji736]
Stirling Albion [emoji736][emoji736]

So on top of the ones I’ve not been to I’d need to see us play at just Dens, Tannadice and Pittodrie. Surely get Dens and Tannadice easy enough with the new League Cup format.

On 10/01/2018 at 09:10, Hedgecutter said:

We were also the only team never to play Gretna due to us going down from the 1st Division when they came up.

Ahem.

The Lichties never played Gretna in a competitive match. One preseaon friendly in the year before they joined the league doesn't really count.

Archived