Woodenspoonwatch

I'm sure there was a previous thread on this from but I can't find it.

No-one likes to finish bottom of the entire Scottish league system but in recent years this dubious honour has been claimed by Hawick, Eyemouth and most recently Burntisland.

Just now Tweedmouth are occupying the table-propping spot and it looks like a 4-way fight between them (0pts), Burntisland (6pts), Eyemouth (9pts - played 1 game more) and Ormiston (9pts - played 2 games more) to avoid last. It may well come down to head-to-head "6 pointer" meetings:

Saturday 6th January
Tweedmouth v Eyemouth

Saturday 20th January
Ormiston v Tweedmouth

Saturday 10th February
Burntisland v Eyemouth

Saturday 10th March
Ormiston v Eyemouth
Tweedmouth v Burntisland

Saturday 31st March
Tweedmouth v Ormiston

Saturday 7th April
Burntisland v Tweedmouth

Predictions?

• 3 months later...
Tweedmouth could’ve had a few more points on the board in recent weeks if it wasn’t for the poor standard of ref’s. Surely this is something that needs looking at. 

I’ve talked quite a bit in here over the years regarding standard of refs making the point that they are of the same standard ( relatively speaking) as the players.

Tweedmouth are the bottom side in the whole pyramid- as such they will be officiated by the refs who are at the bottom level of those used within the pro game

21 hours ago, surely not! said:

......within the pro game

surely not!  For me, the above statement is the biggest factor in everything concerning referee's.  These guys are paid to 'perform', they are professionals and the expectancy should be that they are at least proficient in role.  Very few players at this level are paid - in fact, most pay for the privilege of playing for their teams.  If a referee is being paid the same rate as a referee at a higher level then both should be as good as each other.

surely not!  For me, the above statement is the biggest factor in everything concerning referee's.  These guys are paid to 'perform', they are professionals and the expectancy should be that they are at least proficient in role.  Very few players at this level are paid - in fact, most pay for the privilege of playing for their teams.  If a referee is being paid the same rate as a referee at a higher level then both should be as good as each other.

They're paid a pittance that hardly covers expenses nowadays. The clubs take gate money and sponsorship, are you seriously expecting referees to do what they do for free? I wouldn't.

3 hours ago, Cyclizine said:

are you seriously expecting referees to do what they do for free?

Eh, where did I suggest that?

If you're taking a fee - and it's not a pittance, I'd suggest you should be at least competent in your field.  Some of the refs we see don't even know the rules!

In the juniors the referees fees are detailed in the constitutions and competition rules. I would imagine it would be similar in the EoSL.

Knowing the rules and interpreting and implementing them in the correct fashion are two very different things unfortunately. Far too many refs can’t wait to get their cards out and go out their way to antagonise the players and officials and thus their handling of matches regularly reduces them to a farce

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, A Believer said:

Do you actually know that or did you hear that? Tough gig if it's factual.

I was asked to go down and help out,  was signed with someone so they didnt bother asking earlier in season.

I heard tweedmouth had no defenders,midfielders or forwards and had to stick 10 goalkeepers outfield.

Only kidding before someone takes the hump

Why not pop by and see for yourselves tomorrow at Old Shielfield. Local derby with Eyemouth; 2:30 kick off.

2 hours ago, superbigal said:

I heard tweedmouth had no defenders,midfielders or forwards and had to stick 10 goalkeepers outfield.

Only kidding before someone takes the hump

Tbf, last season I saw them hold Leith 2-2 (should've won 3-2 off a late break!), playing 45 mins with 9 men in the biggest backs-to-the-wall job since the Siege of Mafeking, and it was basically 5-2-1 cum 7-1-0...

Do you actually know that or did you hear that? Tough gig if it's factual.

Tweedmouth have a very good young keeper on loan from Berwick. Tynie1874 has a history of opening his mouth & letting his belly rumble at times [emoji23]

Worth saying their last 3 games over the next week are H v the 3 clubs above them (Eyemouth, Ormiston, Burntisland), so still opportunities to add to their current 1pt and seek that first win.

17 hours ago, Macca1875 said:

Tweedmouth have a very good young keeper on loan from Berwick. Tynie1874 has a history of opening his mouth & letting his belly rumble at times emoji23.png

Kieran cromarty asked me down, but whatever you say. Dean Boyne plays for them, they stand nae chance of winning games.

Archived