Prescription Charges

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Dindeleux said:

Yes.

I don’t pay for prescriptions and I feel I should.

My girlfriend goes to the doctor/chemist all the fucking time for the slightest ailment. Most recent being a bad cough/chest infection which I’m sure her smoking 20 fags a day had nothing to do with.

Her smoking habits are very probably why you get your prescriptions for free. You should be thanking her.

Just now, Dr Watson said:

Her smoking habits are very probably why you get your prescriptions for free. You should be thanking her.

Where's the popcorn.

35 minutes ago, sjc said:

Why? I was diagnosed with my condition in late August and operated on less than 2 weeks later here in Japan. I was told that I'd have to wait 4 months for a scan just to confirm my diagnosis, never mind be operated on, back in the UK!

The NHS is great thing but it's underfunded for a variety of reasons from bureaucratic waste to the ever moving coal face of technology and drug development.

Unfortunately it’s also being crippled by the amount of obesity related illnesses in this country .

I have a close friend who’s a GP and he estimates that approximately 75-80% of patients he sees have illnesses or conditions  caused as a result of obesity 

1 minute ago, Unleash The Nade said:

Unfortunately it’s also being crippled by the amount of obesity related illnesses in this country .

I have a close friend who’s a GP and he estimates that approximately 75-80% of patients he sees have illnesses or conditions  caused as a result of obesity 

A fat tax will cover that.

1 minute ago, NotThePars said:

The solution to obesity and smoking is of course to punish the disproportionately poor people it affects and hope they die quickly enough to stop being a burden on the state.

If they’re that poor ,maybe that’s a good enough reason to give up the fags then 

1 minute ago, Unleash The Nade said:

If they’re that poor ,maybe that’s a good enough reason to give up the fags then 

By the same logic if you’re stupid you shouldn’t post on here.

We’ll miss you.*

*Not really.

My daughters treatment alone cost the equivalent of just over £130,000. I'd say the NHS needs to reassess what can be provided and what people should be expected to pay/contribute for. Health care and its associated costs have moved on considerably since the NHS inception in 1947.

Solution: get the government to seize any of her assets up to the value of £130k.

Well, this sort of thing is currently deemed fair game when it comes to covering care home costs anyway. [emoji20]

38 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

There are a 100 ways to invest in the NHS before asking people to fork out at the point of use.

Private health insurance premiums, nationalising drugs companies etc

Great idea da. That million quid a year will make all the difference.

So if you're unfortunate enough to be born with say a heart defect you can never get affordable insurance? As for nationalising drug companies! :lol:

37 minutes ago, Craig the Hunter said:

If you're willing and able to pay for treatment, scans etc the facilities are there. Private healthcare is available in Scotland for folk who can afford it and want to avoid the waiting lists

I suppose people could sell their house from under their families to prevent fast spreading diseases becoming terminal.......It's not a "one size fits all" situation sadly.

20 minutes ago, Unleash The Nade said:

This in spite of everyone from GPs, News programmes and successive Governments highlighting the dangers!

36 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Totally agree, let’s just abolish Parliament and the NHS.

Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying! :rolleyes:

2 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

Solution: get the government to seize any of her assets up to the value of £130k.

Well, this sort of thing is currently deemed fair game when it comes to covering care home costs anyway. emoji20.png

She was 6 months old at diagnosis. She had no assets. 

You're wrongly jumping to the conclusion that because I question whether the NHS can afford to remain free at source for all that I agree with the Tories sneaking in its privateisation through the back door. I don't.

Just now, welshbairn said:

So effectively the same here, assuming having health insurance is compulsory.

It's not and levels of cover vary from Prefecture to Prefecture. My daughter received free treatment because she is under 6 years old however if she was register at my in laws 40 miles out into the countryside kids treatment is covered for free until 16. They do this (along with subsidised housing) to try and encourage people to take agricultural jobs out in the country.

She was 6 months old at diagnosis. She had no assets. 
You're wrongly jumping to the conclusion that because I question whether the NHS can afford to remain free at source for all that I agree with the Tories sneaking in its privateisation through the back door. I don't.

My intended sarcasm clearly hasn't registered.

11 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

My intended sarcasm clearly hasn't registered.

I suspected sarcasm but like in any political thread I felt it worth pointing out to try prevent being labelled either communist or uber capitalist!

22 minutes ago, bennett said:

It would probably cost more to set up and run any means testing scheme, leave it as it is.

I tend to agree with this. However other options are available to be looked into.

1 hour ago, Unleash The Nade said:

They'll certainly not get any advice on over eating in some of the hospitals, it's like sitting outside a restaurant on buffet night if you're sitting waiting for someone in and around hospitals.

Archived