Prescription Charges

2 minutes ago, bobbykdy said:

Sad to say but true, heart transplants etc were not even a consideration when the NHS was set up. It is now doing far more than was ever dreamed of but with a budget that hasn't moved with the times.

There is also an awful lot of wastage within the NHS.

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, Granny Danger said:

People who argue that because things have changed them we should move away from a NHS free at the point of use are c***s.

Why? I was diagnosed with my condition in late August and operated on less than 2 weeks later here in Japan. I was told that I'd have to wait 4 months for a scan just to confirm my diagnosis, never mind be operated on, back in the UK!

The NHS is great thing but it's underfunded for a variety of reasons from bureaucratic waste to the ever moving coal face of technology and drug development.

1 minute ago, sjc said:

Why? I was diagnosed with my condition in late August and operated on less than 2 weeks later here in Japan. I was told that I'd have to wait 4 months for a scan just to confirm my diagnosis, never mind be operated on, back in the UK!

The NHS is great thing but it's underfunded for a variety of reasons from bureaucratic waste to the ever moving coal face of technology and drug development.

Did you pay for your treatment?

Just now, sjc said:

Yes, in part. Insurance covered the remainder.

I'm sure folk can do that here as well.

As to the other part, I'm open-minded but there would need to be a massive shift in will and opinion.

1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

I'm sure folk can do that here as well.

As to the other part, I'm open-minded but there would need to be a massive shift in will and opinion.

I understand what you're saying regarding insurance. Here in Japan my insurance is based upon income and not individual health whereas in America (I believe) it's the other way around. Which put kids born with illnesses at a huge disadvantage.

4 minutes ago, Tynieness said:

Don't see the need for this thread especially in light of the £350 million per week extra funding that Boris promised us.  

Oh wait...

Cutting the number of MPs would be a good start to freeing up some money. It's not the days of getting the horse and cart to Westminster anymore FFS!

2 minutes ago, sjc said:

I understand what you're saying regarding insurance. Here in Japan my insurance is based upon income and not individual health whereas in America (I believe) it's the other way around. Which put kids born with illnesses at a huge disadvantage.

I just don't think we've the mindset for any of it yet, the minute a politician raises that sort of issue they're looked upon as some sort of nutter, I can't see the mindset changing any time soon, if anything, it's going the other way.

There are a 100 ways to invest in the NHS before asking people to fork out at the point of use.

Private health insurance premiums, nationalising drugs companies etc

4 minutes ago, sjc said:

Cutting the number of MPs would be a good start to freeing up some money. It's not the days of getting the horse and cart to Westminster anymore FFS!

Great idea da. That million quid a year will make all the difference.

6 minutes ago, sjc said:

Totally agree, let’s just abolish Parliament and the NHS.

1 minute ago, invergowrie arab said:

There are a 100 ways to invest in the NHS before asking people to fork out at the point of use.

Private health insurance premiums, nationalising drugs companies etc

Great idea da. That million quid a year will make all the difference.

From little acorns.

Is it time that free prescription charges in Scotland were means tested  and also certain mild drugs like paracetamol weren’t prescribed at all unless for serious conditions ?
I saw on the news yesterday that’s NHS England were reviewing their current system as things such as Factor 50 sunscreen , gluten free biscuits and  Colgate total control toothpaste were being prescribed in some instances , as well as medication like ibuprofen, which costs 7 times more to prescribe than it does to buy in a shop.

Yes.

I don’t pay for prescriptions and I feel I should.

My girlfriend goes to the doctor/chemist all the fucking time for the slightest ailment. Most recent being a bad cough/chest infection which I’m sure her smoking 20 fags a day had nothing to do with.

Archived