Chillis

Menzel

One of the downsides to living where I do is that the national cuisine/tasebuds of the nation are not particularly appreciative of chillis or hot food. My flatmate grows several plants on our balcony, and now that they're fully dried I'm looking forward to spice throughout the festive season. There's also a wee chilli shop in town that does some amazing sauces and its own chilli sausage which is immense. 

Does P&B grow their own chillis? What's everyone's favourite thing to do with them/favourite spicy foods?

1 hour ago, Menzel said:

One of the downsides to living where I do is that the national cuisine/tasebuds of the nation are not particularly appreciative of chillis or hot food. My flatmate grows several plants on our balcony, and now that they're fully dried I'm looking forward to spice throughout the festive season. There's also a wee chilli shop in town that does some amazing sauces and its own chilli sausage which is immense. 

Does P&B grow their own chillis? What's everyone's favourite thing to do with them/favourite spicy foods?

Does the cannabis not deaden your taste buds?

1 hour ago, Menzel said:

Yes, got 12 plants in the garden for personal use only.  Family have a full field that we sell at the local market. They are rice farmers mainly, however they grow lots of other vegetation, fish farms & ducks (for the eggs). 

Thai foods main ingredient is chilli peppers, love it.  

I often 're-use' a Scotch Bonnet pepper by piercing it a couple of times and placing it whole into a broth to spice up soup, this acts like bouquet garni and doesn't impart all of it's heat at once.

I then remove it from the soup, chop it up and use it in a curry or chilli.

51 minutes ago, Zen Archer said:

I often 're-use' a Scotch Bonnet pepper by piercing it a couple of times and placing it whole into a broth to spice up soup, this acts like bouquet garni and doesn't impart all of it's heat at once.

^^^

2017-12-24-14-16-47-968720264.jpeg

1 hour ago, SlipperyP said:

Yes, got 12 plants in the garden for personal use only.  Family have a full field that we sell at the local market. They are rice farmers mainly, however they grow lots of other vegetation, fish farms & ducks (for the eggs). 

Thai foods main ingredient is chilli peppers, love it.  

Wagwan?

3 hours ago, Menzel said:

We grow chilli plants in the summer and harvest them, any that aren't used get dehydrated and stored. We use a fair bit of chill (and garlic) in our cooking.

I take it your mum is cool with being called a 'flatmate' aye ?

2 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

How does one get use to eating spice food / chillies? Sadly me and my arse can not handle it however I'd like to

Adopt the "great on the way in, not so good on the way out " philosophy and live with it. 

How does one get use to eating spice food / chillies? Sadly me and my arse can not handle it however I'd like to

It not for everyone, I know many Thais don't/can't eat spicy food.
It a bit like booze, you just perceiver, finally you will be an alkey.
I was introduced when I was young to spicy food and now eat ridiculous spicy food, that even shock the locals. You get a buzz for sure.
I've introduced this to my son, he's 5 and doing real good with the spicy stuff. Not the booze....

6 minutes ago, G_Man1985 said:

I've got a higher tolerance as I've got older, wasn't a fan of curries until my mid twenties but add heat to most things.

5 minutes ago, Rugster said:

Adopt the "great on the way in, not so good on the way out " philosophy and live with it. 

This works, just assume that if you have nippy scran on the way in, its gonna be emotional on the way out.

2 hours ago, Zen Archer said:

For one horrible moment I thought you meant "re-use" the way Londoners "re-use" water.

1 minute ago, G_Man1985 said:

I've tried to get into it. Sorry feel like a whimp. :-(.
Even with booze my body dosnt handle it well.
Booze I'm away to stop apart from when on holiday as it just isn't worth it.
Food however I want more variation

Start mild and build up if its something you're keen to do. 

Maybe it's just not for you. I'm going to blow your mind here.
I can't eat chocolate it gives mW the bolk. I've tried many many times it looks fucking fantastic, it doesn't make me sick in the long term, just can't handle the taste.

5 hours ago, G_Man1985 said:

The booze is not the issue.  The active ingredient in chillies is capsaicin which does not dissolve in water.  By comparison, the active ingredient in mustard, wasabi and horseradish does - which is why it stings your mouth but seldom your guts.

Capsaicin does dissolve in fat - so if you have milk, butter, cheese, yogurt or ice cream  - that is much more effective. 

A pickled Serrano Chili or a pickled Banana Wax Chili with a nice big piece of Cheddar is wonderful.

I’ve grown apache chillis for a few years. They’re a nice small plant ideal for the kitchen windowsill but they produce a bumper amount of chillis per plant. Usually pot the seeds around April/May, and after about 8 weeks or so they’re ready. Quite a small chilli but they pack a helluva punch.

I used to be an absolute obsessive chillihead. Every meal had hot sauce added to it, had a collection of about thirty bottles and lived for chilli products.

One advantage of having a higher tolerance is that you can enjoy foods rich in nagas or haberneros which both taste bloody amazing but will blow your head off. My tolerance has decreased majorly in past couple of years but I still have a decent enough tolerance comparative to most. The below sauce for me is still king and isn't so fucking hot you can't have it on your morning eggs.

324739ea085563afc50785e3e6f78501.jpg

Archived