The Good Guys

D.A.F.C

Back home after NY, thanks god.

I feel I have to defend my hatred of most Tom Hanks films, and the only reasonable way I could think of to do so was to actually list them.  So:
He Knows You're Alone - Not seen/no opinion.
Splash - Crap.
Bachelor Party - Crap.
The Man with One Red Shoe - No idea.
Volunteers - Not seen/no opinion.
The Money Pit - Alright. Has aged poorly though, as i saw it again a few years back and switched over sharpish.
Nothing in Common - Not seen/no opinion.
Every Time We Say Goodbye - Not seen/no opinion.
Dragnet - Funny when you're 10.
Big - Decent.  ETA:  Perhaps controversially, I prefer Vice Versa.
Punchline - Mediocre.
The 'Burbs - I liked this when I was wee. No idea if I would now.
Turner & Hooch - Shite.
Joe Versus the Volcano - Not seen, but I've heard this is good, so willing to give benefit of doubt.
The Bonfire of the Vanities - Utter shit.
Radio Flyer - Not seen/no opinion.
A League of Their Own - Drivel.
Sleepless in Seattle - Utter shit.
Philadelphia - Decent.
Forrest Gump - Utter shit.
Apollo 13 - Mediocre.
Toy Story - Decent.
That Thing You Do! - Not seen, but I've heard it's good.
Saving Private Ryan - Decent, but not up there with the best war movies.
You've Got Mail - Utter shit.
Toy Story 2 - Decent.
The Green Mile - Sentimental claptrap, but engaging.
Cast Away - Utter shit.
Road to Perdition - Alright. Bit boring.
Catch Me If You Can - Decent.
The Ladykillers - Pointless remake and really quite annoying.
The Terminal - Utter utter shit.
Elvis Has Left the Building - Never heard of it.
The Polar Express - Not seen, looks crap.
The Da Vinci Code - Mind-numbingly shit.
Cars - Not seen/no opinion.
Charlie Wilson's War - Thought this was alright.
The Simpsons Movie - Didn't know he was in it, but from what I remember it wan't terrible. That spider-pig bit with Homer was awful chat.
The Great Buck Howard - Never heard of it.
Angels & Demons - Refuse to waste more of my life seeing another Dan Brown film made by Ron Howard, so no idea. I imagine it's appalling though.
Toy Story 3 - Decent.
Hawaiian Vacation - Never heard of it.
Larry Crowne - Not seen, looks shit.
Small Fry - Not seen/no opinion.
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close - Not seen, but was tempted to as I like Max von Sydow and John Goodman. The reviews were shit though, so I didn't bother.
Cloud Atlas - Alright. Well crap compared to the book though. That's not Hanks' fault I admit, more that book was too much to make into a movie imo.
Partysaurus Rex - Not seen/no opinion.
Captain Phillips - Not seen, but looks decent.
Saving Mr. Banks - Not seen/no opinion.
Bridge of Spies - I liked this. Cold War spy movies is one of my favourite film genres, but obviously most are now 40-odd years old. Pleasing that this and Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy have provided a few good ones in recent times.
Ithaca - Not seen, looks utterly appalling though.
A Hologram for the King - Not seen/no opinion.
Sully - Not seen, looks good though. I doubt I'll watch it though as biopics generally turn me off.
Inferno - Not seen, looks utter utter shit.
The Circle - Not seen, looks shit. Emma Watson looks quite sexy though. 
The Post - Not seen, but I would like to see this one, I do like films where journalists are uncovering secret shit.

I've tried to be as fair as i can there, but even if I was to assume 50% of the ones I've not seen were decent, he'd still have produced a lot more rubbish than quality. Several are just schmaltzy crap, and I think it's fair to say that it's those films that have made me dislike him.
If I'm wrong about any of the above I'm happy to be taken to task!

The next Barry Norman has been found! Hallelujah?

Saving Private Ryan and the Band of Brothers series are the best war films I’ve ever seen.

The first time I saw Saving Private Ryan was very memorable. Blew every other war film away.

I used to hate Tom Hanks when he did shite like The Burbs but Forrest Gump (good film) onwards he’s been the main man in a stream of hit films. The guy is quality.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

To be fair, there is a lot of shite in there too.

However, Forrest Gump, Catch Me If You Can, Saving Private Ryan and Road to Perdition are all great films.

That one with the volleyball (Castaway?) is a grower as is The Terminal.

The kids films he’s done are all very watchable.

Bonfire of the Vanities struck me as possibly the worst film I’d ever seen and You’ve Got Mail is right down there too.

16 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

If you rate 6 time Oscar Winner and IMDb's #12 best film of all time Forrest Gump as "utter shit" then I don't think you're going to be reasoned with emoji38.png

Of course I'm not to be reasoned with. I'm the first to admit many of my pet hates are largely irrational (particularly given that half my reason for slagging Hanks was his politics, which it turned out I was dead wrong about :lol:).

However... I take umbrage with you mentioning the Oscars and IMDB. IMDB is populated with utter fanboy morons.
Have you ever read the message boards or discussions on there?
I remember when that steaming pile of self-indulgent dreck Babel came out.  Someone on a forum I frequented had posted a link to an amusing thread on there in which someone had had the temerity to point out that the film was facile and witless. The place was in meltdown; tears and snotters literally everywhere. The main response, and one that I have since seen umpteen times on IMDB was that anyone who didn't like the film "just didn't get it". It was impossible that anything else could be the case... such as the film being trite, and appealing mainly to simpletons labouring under the erroneous impression that they are in fact perceptive amateur film critics.

You could look up the shittest kids' film going on IMDB and it will often have a mid-range score because lackwit Idaho housewives will voted it up on the basis of their home-schooled idiot kids liking it, and it promoting family values. I'd sooner throw darts at a board saying Good/Bad/Good/Bad that use IMDB as a basis for judging a film's merits.

As for the Oscars, 6 Oscars is good.
It beats The Aviator by 1 and ties with La La Land. It's less than the 7 received by Dances with Wolves, the 8 that Slumdog Millionaire got, or the 9 that The English Patient received. Titanic got 11, as did The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (I think they gave an Oscar for every minute the tearful saying goodbye sequence went on for on that one).

What I am saying, in case I am being too elliptical in my grumpiness, is that sometimes Oscars are deserved, and sometimes they are handed out by backslapping twats in Hollywood for films that are, to be honest, not that great. I would argue that Forrest Gump falls into the latter category. 
BTW - it ranks alongside Dances with Wolves as films that have made me question whether life was worth living, while being forced by family to sit through them in the old ABC on Sauchiehall Street. I made it out the other side, but only just.

22 hours ago, milton75 said:

Of course I'm not to be reasoned with. I'm the first to admit many of my pet hates are largely irrational (particularly given that half my reason for slagging Hanks was his politics, which it turned out I was dead wrong about 

:lol:).

However... I take umbrage with you mentioning the Oscars and IMDB. IMDB is populated with utter fanboy morons.
Have you ever read the message boards or discussions on there?
I remember when that steaming pile of self-indulgent dreck Babel came out.  Someone on a forum I frequented had posted a link to an amusing thread on there in which someone had had the temerity to point out that the film was facile and witless. The place was in meltdown; tears and snotters literally everywhere. The main response, and one that I have since seen umpteen times on IMDB was that anyone who didn't like the film "just didn't get it". It was impossible that anything else could be the case... such as the film being trite, and appealing mainly to simpletons labouring under the erroneous impression that they are in fact perceptive amateur film critics.

You could look up the shittest kids' film going on IMDB and it will often have a mid-range score because lackwit Idaho housewives will voted it up on the basis of their home-schooled idiot kids liking it, and it promoting family values. I'd sooner throw darts at a board saying Good/Bad/Good/Bad that use IMDB as a basis for judging a film's merits.

As for the Oscars, 6 Oscars is good.
It beats The Aviator by 1 and ties with La La Land. It's less than the 7 received by Dances with Wolves, the 8 that Slumdog Millionaire got, or the 9 that The English Patient received. Titanic got 11, as did The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (I think they gave an Oscar for every minute the tearful saying goodbye sequence went on for on that one).

What I am saying, in case I am being too elliptical in my grumpiness, is that sometimes Oscars are deserved, and sometimes they are handed out by backslapping twats in Hollywood for films that are, to be honest, not that great. I would argue that Forrest Gump falls into the latter category. 
BTW - it ranks alongside Dances with Wolves as films that have made me question whether life was worth living, while being forced by family to sit through them in the old ABC on Sauchiehall Street. I made it out the other side, but only just.

I agree with your Oscars rant.

The English Patient is 162 minutes of bum-numbing, luvvy pish.

Archived