Falkirk 0 v The Dobbie Machine.

• Replies 317
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Because Lyle on the left wing would be absolutely terrible?

No Dykes on the left wing is absolutely terrible. Lyle anywhere would be better.
If Dykes is anything he’s a foil for Dobbie but I think it’s clear Kane and Lyle are better in that position. I’d rather have Lyle playing out of position than Dykes just now.

No Dykes on the left wing is absolutely terrible. Lyle anywhere would be better.
If Dykes is anything he’s a foil for Dobbie but I think it’s clear Kane and Lyle are better in that position. I’d rather have Lyle playing out of position than Dykes just now.

Dykes out wide is far from ideal but he’s the best option we have just now. None of your alternatives are any better and involve breaking up the Dobbie/Kane partnership which isn’t worth doing just because you don’t like Dykes.

He was causing St Mirren all kinds of problems in the first half on Saturday, and although he faded a bit in the second half he still put in a decent performance, making your criticism ahead of this game all the more bizarre.

We have far greater concerns ahead of this one. Namely the inexperienced defence we’ll be forced into playing, and deciding who to play alongside Rankin in midfield. After Saturday I’d be inclined to try McFadden in there, but I suspect Tapping will get the nod as he played well last time at TFS.

I’d be very happy with a draw in this one.

Dykes out wide is far from ideal but he’s the best option we have just now. None of your alternatives are any better and involve breaking up the Dobbie/Kane partnership which isn’t worth doing just because you don’t like Dykes.

He was causing St Mirren all kinds of problems in the first half on Saturday, and although he faded a bit in the second half he still put in a decent performance, making your criticism ahead of this game all the more bizarre.

We have far greater concerns ahead of this one. Namely the inexperienced defence we’ll be forced into playing, and deciding who to play alongside Rankin in midfield. After Saturday I’d be inclined to try McFadden in there, but I suspect Tapping will get the nod as he played well last time at TFS.

I guess I watched a different game from you on Saturday. I felt virtually every time Dykes got involved(often in good positions) the attack broke down due to his poor control, poor decision making or trying to over complicate things. I’ve been an advocate of patience with the lad but I’m running out.
Tapping was truly dreadful against St Mirren.

56 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

I guess I watched a different game from you on Saturday. I felt virtually every time Dykes got involved(often in good positions) the attack broke down due to his poor control, poor decision making or trying to over complicate things. I’ve been an advocate of patience with the lad but I’m running out.

As I said before St Mirren obviously thought enough of his performance to double mark him for the second half.

He was heavily involved in the opening goal too. Dykes was one of our better players Saturday.

As I said before St Mirren obviously thought enough of his performance to double mark him for the second half.
He was heavily involved in the opening goal too. Dykes was one of our better players Saturday.

Heavily involved in the first goal!? You have surely been at the Christmas sherry again SD? Fair enough he won one of his few headers of the day but it dropped to an opponent and there were 5 players involved after his header including an opponent so it’s not even close to an assist.
Appreciate in your position you need to be balanced but I thought Lyle offered more in the last 15 minutes than Dykes did all match and Stirling must also have been disappointed to come off- presume the gaffer wanted to keep Dykes height on the pitch but he’s so inconsistent with his heading it’s really frustrating to watch.
Unless there’s an issue with Dels fitness I can’t see why he’s not on from the start with Dykes the option from the bench. One or other of Lyle, Kane or Dobbie could surely drop off a bit.

1 hour ago, palmy_cammy said:

You could bring back Jim Thomson and Brian Reid to play centre halves for you on Saturday and we still wouldnt score !!!

The flanks are still the best bet to get in behind us, tho Dobbie seems to walk through our centre quite easily too

I only see Dykes v us and generally he seems to be a handful, decent pace for a bloke of his height and generally hasnt done too badly against us

21 minutes ago, steakpiegravy said:

Heavily involved in the first goal!? You have surely been at the Christmas sherry again SD? Fair enough he won one of his few headers of the day but it dropped to an opponent and there were 5 players involved after his header including an opponent so it’s not even close to an assist.
Appreciate in your position you need to be balanced but I thought Lyle offered more in the last 15 minutes than Dykes did all match and Stirling must also have been disappointed to come off- presume the gaffer wanted to keep Dykes height on the pitch but he’s so inconsistent with his heading it’s really frustrating to watch.
Unless there’s an issue with Dels fitness I can’t see why he’s not on from the start with Dykes the option from the bench. One or other of Lyle, Kane or Dobbie could surely drop off a bit.

Were James Fowler and Jack Ross at the christmas sherry too or did they double mark him just for laughs?

Not sure what your obsession with Lyle is either. As pammy cammy already pointed out they arent competing currently for the same spot. Lyle isnt going to play off the left side. If Lyle is to start it would be at Kane's expense (or I suppose he and Kane could play together if you want Dobbie on the left). I dont see that as a better option at the moment personally. In his current position its Murray or McFadden who could play where Dykes is.

I appreciate your point about Lyle not taking over Dykes spot but from where I was standing more or less every attack that went through dykes broke down when it got to him. I really don’t think dykes is right for that position either so if it’s a choice of playing dykes out of position or Lyle out of position I’d got for Lyle who at least poses a tangible threat. You’d think if Dykes was one of our better players he’d have merited at least a mention in the match report....anyhow I’m off for a sherry before Jack and James finish it all[emoji16]

14 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

St Mirren stuck someone infront of him and behind him from long goal kicks and throw Ins. It's hardly Pep Guardiola type tactics to realise a 6 foot 4" odd guy is going to be dangerous in the air. He was his usual disappointing self on Saturday and it's absolutely baffling to suggest that St Mirren saw him as a threat in open play. My favourite Lyndon moment was in the first half he had complete control of the ball in a dangerous position heading towards the byline. Instead of attempting a  cross he tried to barge Lewis Morgan over, he failed and fell over allowing the ball to harmlessly roll out for a goal kick. He draws fouls and uses his height and strength well at times but apart from that he is extremely limited. 

57 minutes ago, Broony88 said:

St Mirren stuck someone infront of him and behind him from long goal kicks and throw Ins. It's hardly Pep Guardiola type tactics to realise a 6 foot 4" odd guy is going to be dangerous in the air. He was his usual disappointing self on Saturday and it's absolutely baffling to suggest that St Mirren saw him as a threat in open play. My favourite Lyndon moment was in the first half he had complete control of the ball in a dangerous position heading towards the byline. Instead of attempting a  cross he tried to barge Lewis Morgan over, he failed and fell over allowing the ball to harmlessly roll out for a goal kick. He draws fouls and uses his height and strength well at times but apart from that he is extremely limited. 

Spot on.

Archived