Today's Scores

andy25

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 hours ago, bc57 said:

Whitburn4  Benburb 1

Awful defensive display by Benburb.  Gave away 2 howlers in the 1st half .

Impressed by Whitburn number 9.  

Gary Brass appears to be the Whitburn striker's name.  Stood out for me on the day.

Some result for Carnoustie.

How? Carnoustie are in the East Super League whilst Petershill are in a division below in the West.

Stop putting down your near neighbours for no reason!
I was going to bite last night but thought I would sleep on it first. Fact is what could have been a cracking cup tie was a pretty dire match with both clubs struggling to field a team. They apparently had 12 fit players, though the fact they had a full bench who all spent most of the game warming up would suggest otherwise. We had 15 stripped, 2 of them keepers. Of the 3 outfield subs 2 of them had no chance of coming on and didn't leave the dug out at any point, even to keep warm.

As for it being a shock, yes we are going well in the league, but fact is Carnoustie are a top flight team and we aren't, and they also had home advantage.

2 hours ago, peasy23 said:

I was going to bite last night but thought I would sleep on it first. Fact is what could have been a cracking cup tie was a pretty dire match with both clubs struggling to field a team. They apparently had 12 fit players, though the fact they had a full bench who all spent most of the game warming up would suggest otherwise. We had 15 stripped, 2 of them keepers. Of the 3 outfield subs 2 of them had no chance of coming on and didn't leave the dug out at any point, even to keep warm.

As for it being a shock, yes we are going well in the league, but fact is Carnoustie are a top flight team and we aren't, and they also had home advantage.

I was going to respond earlier, but not sure if your reply was directed at me or Lno1?

i didn’t know what the make up of either team was when I posted my reply to Lno1. However, point I was making (as you mention in your last para), is that Carnoustie is a top flight team, and Petershill are a division below,  So, why Lno1 would say ‘some result for Carnoustie’ didn’t ring right to me.

Given league positions Carnoustie should have won, and no shock by doing so. If Petershill had won, it would have been a great result, but would have been a shock result for me.

I was going to respond earlier, but not sure if your reply was directed at me or Lno1?
i didn’t know what the make up of either team was when I posted my reply to Lno1. However, point I was making (as you mention in your last para), is that Carnoustie is a top flight team, and Petershill are a division below,  So, why Lno1 would say ‘some result for Carnoustie’ didn’t ring right to me.
Given league positions Carnoustie should have won, and no shock by doing so. If Petershill had won, it would have been a great result, but would have been a shock result for me.
I wouldn't have saw petershill winning as being a shock to be honest , they may well be in a weaker league than carnoustie but the west Is still stronger than the east and petershill are still a big name in junior football , I would say that they're probably a bigger name than carnoustie and I would have rated yesterday game as 50/50 beforehand .

7 minutes ago, theshed said:
23 minutes ago, Toffee fan said:

I wouldn't have saw petershill winning as being a shock to be honest , they may well be in a weaker league than carnoustie but the west Is still stronger than the east and petershill are still a big name in junior football , I would say that they're probably a bigger name than carnoustie and I would have rated yesterday game as 50/50 beforehand .

Don’t agree. Just because Petershill are a big name, doesn’t mean anything. This year they got put out away to an East Region Super League team. 

Last year, in the same cup, they got put out at home to another East Region Super league team - Bonnyrigg.

For me that is right given the current leagues these teams are / were in at the time. Shocks can happen in cup matches, but that can happen in East v West or West v East fixtures.

No doubt, when looking at the last seven seasons,  top West sides have ruled in the Scottish Cup. If you go further back, to last seven seasons, East region teams won 7 of the previous 9 cup finals. So, West region teams currently have the upper hand, and I’m not arguing. But don’t tell me that over the season, the top  East League is on par with the 2nd top West League. 

Of the last 7 junior cup finals, all won by West teams, 3 of these were against East Region sisdes, so the gulf isn’t that big.

5 minutes ago, Shanner said:

7/7 west wins and 11  v 3 regional finalists seems like a fair gulf to me.

Not the point I was making Shanner if you read my post through. I acknowledge that West teams have won all of the last 7 junior cups.

My main point was that the Shed was saying that East is that much Weaker than the West, and that Petershill beating Carnoustie wouldn’t be a shock. Of course it would. Do you think that the top East Region sides would all struggle against the top West Region sides throughout a season? Would Cumnock and Clydebank currently expect to beat Linlithgow and Lochee cause East league teams are so weak? If so I would say that was arrogance. 

1 hour ago, theshed said:

petershill are still a big name in junior football , I would say that they're probably a bigger name than carnoustie and I would have rated yesterday game as 50/50 beforehand .

Petershill - 9 letters,  Carnoustie Panmure - 17 letters???

Not the point I was making Shanner if you read my post through. I acknowledge that West teams have won all of the last 7 junior cups.
My main point was that the Shed was saying that East is that much Weaker than the West, and that Petershill beating Carnoustie wouldn’t be a shock. Of course it would. Do you think that the top East Region sides would all struggle against the top West Region sides throughout a season? Would Cumnock and Clydebank currently expect to beat Linlithgow and Lochee cause East league teams are so weak? If so I would say that was arrogance. 

Clydebank couldn't beat kennoway star hearts, so not that much of a gulf considering they beat pollok in a cup final the next week !

Archived