The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

In the last couple of weeks I've started doing some very small trading on the stockmarket via Trading 212 app.  I only invested £100 in some quite "safe" stocks.  

Assume some people on here will invest - post your plans etc in here.

Northern Rock investors need not respond.

All my investments are in crypto currency or firms related to them

I have bitcoin, ripple xrp, ethereum and Iota. I’ve also got shares in Coinsilium, a company that invests in blockchain technology pretty much. Only been at it for a month but if I sold up now I’d have made £1k so it’s been a good return (so far).

Ultimately, only invest money you’re prepared to lose

I've never really understood it all enough to be confident to throw money at it. I wouldn't have a clue who to back.

I was also reading about Bitcoin being a massive con which will burst at any moment, stuff like that gives me the fear - much like the banking crash, there will be no way for your average Joe to know what's coming and get out. That lead me to read about Tulip mania and it makes me think I'm better staying away from this shite.

10 minutes ago, Alex_14 said:

All my investments are in crypto currency or firms related to them

I have bitcoin, ripple xrp, ethereum and Iota. I’ve also got shares in Coinsilium, a company that invests in blockchain technology pretty much. Only been at it for a month but if I sold up now I’d have made £1k so it’s been a good return (so far).

Ultimately, only invest money you’re prepared to lose

Is that a sensible strategy long term?

Is that a sensible strategy long term?

Nobody knows in the crypto world, some say bitcoin for example is a bubble and some say it’s not. Crypto is the future though, read what Anton Antonopolous (100% spelled wrong) has to say as he’s as neutral a person as you’ll find on the topic. It’s here to stay. Will the bitcoin price keep going as ludicrously high? Probably not. Is bitcoin even the future of crypto? My opinion is no, it’s got a lot of flaws. But there’s many other cryptocurrencies that will come to the fore, and it’s just about keeping an eye on those alternative coins.

I’ve no idea how much you know on the topic but it’s utterly fascinating imo. Ripple XRP is a good one, they’re pretty much looking to replace SWIFT payments and have guys on their board that are ex SWIFT.

3 minutes ago, Alex_14 said:

Nobody knows in the crypto world, some say bitcoin for example is a bubble and some say it’s not. Crypto is the future though, read what Anton Antonopolous (100% spelled wrong) has to say as he’s as neutral a person as you’ll find on the topic. It’s here to stay. Will the bitcoin price keep going as ludicrously high? Probably not. Is bitcoin even the future of crypto? My opinion is no, it’s got a lot of flaws. But there’s many other cryptocurrencies that will come to the fore, and it’s just about keeping an eye on those alternative coins.

I’ve no idea how much you know on the topic but it’s utterly fascinating imo. Ripple XRP is a good one, they’re pretty much looking to replace SWIFT payments and have guys on their board that are ex SWIFT.

I have never traded, it was more about seemingly having all your eggs in one basket.

I have never traded, it was more about seemingly having all your eggs in one basket.

I believe in cryptocurrencies as a whole, there’s no chance they’ll just die out IMO. Some types of crypto will, definitely but not all of them altogether. I’ve spread my investments out accordingly.

I do see your point but I’m riding the wave atm

I have a small SIPP account that was previously a works pension. After leaving the employer and seeing the expected returns on retirement I decided I would try and improve it myself. Not the most active in the world but it's currently worth exactly what it was when I took it over, having been worth around half at one point, and about 25% more not long ago. Try to balance long term value with speculative punting(Tesco, Barclays, RDSB and Sound Energy are my 4 biggest holdings right now. Tesco is well up, Barclays a little down, RDSB breaking even on value but has paid well in dividends over the last 4 years and Sound currently a little down but I am content to wait and see what happens with their exploration in Morocco).

Also done a bit of speculative investing in Cryptocurrencies. £650 invested between Bitcoin, Iota and XLM and between them the value is currently around £4k so doing OK there. Bitcoin is definitely risky as f*ck, to me it has already been usurped in technological terms and is too slow and cumbersome to compete with huge swathes of the crypto market, but it holds value for several reasons and as long as it remains the main exchange mechanism into that market it will continue to do so. The other two are pretty much punts on the tech/concept behind them catching on and being worth a lot of money.

I also put £20 a week in my William Hills account and place stupid 7 folds every Saturday, picked by a group of friends in a WhatsApp group. I am currently £210 up this season having had 2 come in. Some might not consider this an investment, but it's as sound an investment as many other things these days.

Index investing. Follow the market, sit back, let compounding make you rich. 

I'm into this too. My pension pot is all in low cost passive funds, then next tax year I'll be doing the same with my ISA allowance.

If you have significant funds in a defined contribution pension, it's really worth educating yourself about how your money is invested.

I've had a savings account for years that has a decent amount now and also recently been using moneybox app for putting a little extra away every week that I'd probably just spunk up the wall otherwise. 

Should probably read more into investment though as I'd like to invest in something but pretty clueless about it all. 

18 minutes ago, resk said:

I'm into this too. My pension pot is all in low cost passive funds, then next tax year I'll be doing the same with my ISA allowance.

If you have significant funds in a defined contribution pension, it's really worth educating yourself about how your money is invested.

When I started my ISA it was automatically invested in 3 funds which all charged about 1.5%. Moved them to passive ones charging between 0.1% and 0.2% which are likely to yield just as much.