The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

I'm also in my works share plan where i get 8% of my salary deducted and transferred to shares. They throw in a bonus share for every three that i earn but i need to wait til March '19 to cash in.

We got offered this a month ago. Buy three get one free. But my lot were deducting income tax and NI off the value of the free ones, which is a pain in the hoop. Then you don't get the free ones until two years after you sign up.

Plus it meant I would be even further invested in the company I work for, as well my main source of income being reliant on them. It's not that I'm sufficiently incompetent to bring down the whole company or anything, but.... y'know..... I suppose it's worth it if you have the edge in your knowledge, ie. a reasonable level of confidence that the share price will go up or at least hold.

I'm into tracker funds - buy the whole market and keep costs low. Using my pension and ISA allowance for tax efficiency. Reading Smarter Investing by Tim Hale, Investing Demystified by Lars Kroijer, plus the Monevator website I mentioned earlier here, was a good introduction to this approach.

1 hour ago, resk said:

I suppose it's worth it if you have the edge in your knowledge, ie. a reasonable level of confidence that the share price will go up or at least hold.

Share price doesnt really have to rise in theory. We get the same capital deducted every month so if the share price drops we get more shares for our capital, i.e. £x.xx can get me 30 shares one month, and if the price drops over the next month i can get 35 for the same money say.

A gradual rise with a few dips over 4/5 years is usually the most rewarding in these types of plans.

13 hours ago, Myko said:

Share price doesnt really have to rise in theory. We get the same capital deducted every month so if the share price drops we get more shares for our capital, i.e. £x.xx can get me 30 shares one month, and if the price drops over the next month i can get 35 for the same money say.

A gradual rise with a few dips over 4/5 years is usually the most rewarding in these types of plans.

It's like all shares, the price at any one time is irrelevant - only when you come to sell does it matter.  In theory a lower price when you're contributing to the scheme is better, as you can get more shares if the price is low - and then hope the price recovers once your plan matures and you then have more shares to sell then you would have if the price had been higher.  

I’m considering taking a risk on Carillion following the news this morning. They’ll either go under, get their bailout and still go under, or get their bailout and get their act together. 

If its the latter, there could be a pretty penny to be made. But I’m a bit of a wuss and am almost talking myself out of it! 

Anyone able to advise if I’m onto something or onto plums?

Edited by Lou Brusch

Is anyone else on etoro? It’s one of these high risk spread betting on derivatives things. The difference is that it is done as a social platform so you can basically follow the successful traders (rather than ploughing in in glorious ignorance). You basically copy the trades of the top dogs. I have not gone mad and have put in money I could afford to lose but after 6 months I must be circa 30% up. It’s quite good fun too. Worth a look.

On 1/5/2018 at 15:39, Myko said:

I'm also in my works share plan where i get 8% of my salary deducted and transferred to shares. They throw in a bonus share for every three that i earn but i need to wait til March '19 to cash in.

While this is a good idea thanks to the discount you are getting on the shares, keep in mind that it is risky to hold onto them long term. If the company goes under, not only do you lose your job but you also lose your nest egg. Seen it happen to a lot of folk at the time of the credit crunch. Employees of Northern Rock in particular lost small fortunes because they simply kept hold of the shares they were buying.

i tend to get shares as part of my annual bonus. Sell them as soon as I am allowed to. Has cost me a small fortune this year(Share price up 40% from the time I sold...) but I’d rather a theoretical loss than carry the risk of losing that and my job if the worst case scenario came about.

After a recommendation from my bro, I read ‘How to own the world’ by a Scottish guy Andrew Craig.  

Total game changer and I would highly recommend a wee read at this if you are interested in making some investments regardless of your income.

I’ve started reading this book. The first chapter is a ‘scare the shit out you to try and grab your attention’ chapter. The second one starts breaking you in to think about investment. Very readable but with a sort of matey salesman tone.

On 1/8/2018 at 03:49, Ross. said:

i tend to get shares as part of my annual bonus. Sell them as soon as I am allowed to. Has cost me a small fortune this year(Share price up 40% from the time I sold...)...

My ex-wife and I did the same - we decided we would always sell stock options/stock grants immediately they became available so we didn't have the should we/shouldn't we discussion and then regret selling/not selling at the right time.   

On ‎22‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 18:21, kennysmassiveego said:

I have a mate who bought 5 bitcoins when they came onto the market but has forgotten his password and has tried for a few yoears to cash these in .  

Any advice ? 

Where does he keep them? If he has lost his private key he's probably screwed as this is the only way to recover them. There must be loads of people in this boat who bought ages ago and forgot about them when they were almost worthless. Sore one.

I got into bitcoin and other cryptos last summer on the off chance of making some profit, but certainly wasn't expecting the gains we've seen since. As others have said the transaction times and fees on bitcoin make it almost unusable other than as a store of value, like a digital gold. I wanted to give a couple of colleagues some bitcoin as a Christmas present, but sending £25 worth would have cost £18 in fees at the time so I didn't bother.

On 02/01/2018 at 10:38, Dunlop Don said:

After a recommendation from my bro, I read ‘How to own the world’ by a Scottish guy Andrew Craig.

Total game changer and I would highly recommend a wee read at this if you are interested in making some investments regardless of your income.

Great recommendation. Currently only 99p on Kindle. Great investment.

This is the authors video series and his website. https://plainenglishfinance.co.uk/

Edited by Guest

On 06/01/2018 at 14:56, Lou Brusch said:

I’m considering taking a risk on Carillion following the news this morning. They’ll either go under, get their bailout and still go under, or get their bailout and get their act together. 

If its the latter, there could be a pretty penny to be made. But I’m a bit of a wuss and am almost talking myself out of it! 

Anyone able to advise if I’m onto something or onto plums?

Hope you bottled it.

6 hours ago, welshbairn said:

Hope you bottled it.

I wish. Didn’t invest a life changing amount but would still rather have the notes in my account!

If I’m honest I’m actually glad they aren’t getting bailed out, given the dirty laundry now being aired 

Edited by Lou Brusch

53 minutes ago, Lou Brusch said:

I wish. Didn’t invest a life changing amount but would still rather have the notes in my account!

If I’m honest I’m actually glad they aren’t getting bailed out, given the dirty laundry now being aired 

^^^^ Wished he’d invested in laundries.

51 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

I think we all need a reminder of this thread.

http://www.pieandbovril.com/forum/index.php?/topic/65352-panic-merchants/

Missed this first time around I think.  Looking forward to reading it.

I'd heard tales of the Northern Rock thread but never read it until now. How did it all pan out in the end with government 'compensation' to shareholders etc? I'd always assumed it went to zero or did they get a few pennies to the pound? The  chap who gambled invested £75k was likely bullshitting from the start though.

3 hours ago, Zetterlund said:

I'd heard tales of the Northern Rock thread but never read it until now. How did it all pan out in the end with government 'compensation' to shareholders etc? I'd always assumed it went to zero or did they get a few pennies to the pound? The  chap who gambled invested £75k was likely bullshitting from the start though.

Not a penny. They're still bleating about it though. I've some sympathy for workers who were partly paid in shares if the Government has now made a profit from the bailout, not for those who jumped in to make "free money" though.

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2017/sep/14/northern-rock-investors-theresa-may-compensation

Edited by welshbairn

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/01/2018 at 17:50, Yflab said:

Great recommendation. Currently only 99p on Kindle. Great investment.

This is the authors video series and his website. https://plainenglishfinance.co.uk/

I’m currently halfway through this book. I’ve only been reading it here and there on train journeys. It seems like a good enough general overview of investment and how economic/business/Financial issues happening in the news affect the ordinary man in the street. The explanation of how Quantative Easing creates Inflation was news to me. 

I just need to get the wife to read it too because although she’s a smart woman she is more scoobied than me when it come to any sort of investment/economics issues.

1 hour ago, Fuctifano said:

Fair old dip going on at the moment.

My stock has taken a severe hit this morning, Standard Life for instance has dropped over 30p since last week, problem is knocks like this if sustained hit's us workers just as much as the fat cats with pension funds all over the country being affected.

I foolishly invested a few thousand years ago on the Toronto stock Exchange on a small Canadian oil company which had at the time a few blocks between Trinidad and Venezuela, which is an oil rich basin, I bought in at over Three Canadian dollars per share, now they are worth around four cents per share.

Stock is  a really big gamble unless you know your subject,  guy I worked with  targeted the chemical industry and studied it for months before he went in with a few hundred, last I heard he ws doing Ok with his stock but he was by no means wealthy enough to do it full time.  

Many years ago certain hospitality companies offered shareholders discounts on purchases made on their premises, so we bought into Reo Stakis, remember him? I can't remember what we paid nor the discounts offered but I think it was around 10% on purchases. Then Ladbrokes bought them out and the discounts went west and then another company took it over now it's back to Ladbrokes and with our small holding we only receive miserable dividends, I dont know why we hold on to them. 

Edited by SandyCromarty