The Investment Thread

Dindeleux

2 hours ago, resk said:

They will, and your returns will be significantly reduced by these fees. The Monevator blog is a good starting point - the broker comparison page on that should help.

You could go straight to Vanguard for one of their funds or use iWeb or something similar that has a wider selection of funds.

I used to use Hargreaves Lansdown - brilliant service, great online site but hefty fees in relation to other SIPP/ISA providers.

Recently moved our SIPPs to AJ Bell You Invest but still use HL for my ISA.

I think it’s possible to access the HL system through the app for info and mock portfolios even if you don’t have an account.  

1 minute ago, kennysmassiveego said:

I have a mate who bought 5 bitcoins when they came onto the market but has forgotten his password and has tried for a few yoears to cash these in .  

Any advice ? 

He/she should go to a hypnotist and get them to help him/her recall the password.

If this works I expect compensated in the far safer commodity of Killie Pies.

Got a S&S ISA a few years ago as cash ISA rates were (are still) shite and it's done pretty well, much better than it would if I'd kept it in cash. It's always the plan to keep it even if it hits a big dip as I'm only investing what I can afford to lose.

Only really rebalance it every 6 months or so. As long as you've got enough diversification and know how much you've got in cash /bonds / equities /  property  relative to your attitude to risk then you shouldn't goo *too* wrong.

Been trying to invest in some of the crypto stuff (not massive amounts) but anywhere I've tried to sign up for to invest  the delay in getting all the AML & ID&V checks are horrendous.

• 2 weeks later...
22 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Invest in a start up virtual reality company...... we will all be shagging Kelly Brook from the comfort of our living room perv box in 5 yrs.

You're a really strange and weird individual to bring that thought process onto this thread.

PS I want my turn with Kelly before you.

26 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

Invest in a start up virtual reality company...... we will all be shagging Kelly Brook from the comfort of our living room perv box in 5 yrs.

I'm in.

After a recommendation from my bro, I read ‘How to own the world’ by a Scottish guy Andrew Craig.  

Total game changer and I would highly recommend a wee read at this if you are interested in making some investments regardless of your income.

I’ve invested in the book. A fool and his money are soon parted.

It’s January and the blues are kicking in. I need an escape.

I have a flat in Edinburgh which is almost paid off, I’m going to do a loft conversion on my house and I would like to buy a holiday home up in Assynt, somewhere near Lochinver at some stage, which I can rent out. Holiday let mortgages seems to be a niche market which means there must be a few risks associated of which I am blissfully ignorant.

I have one of those stocks and shares ISAs for the kids which I stick £150 a month in. The oldest kid is the real winner as she also got that £500 the government were handing over and I’ve been sticking £20 a month in it since she was born in 2010.

Those apart, I’ve no investments other than the working class dream of winning the lottery or getting a big coupon up on Bet365.

Maybe after reading this book, which has 250+ 5 star reviews on Amazon (boy has a lot of friends) I’ll get my shit together.

Edit: I read some of the three star reviews and cancelled the order. I’ve bought it on kindle for 99p rather than £11.99. I’ll try reading it on the train. £11 saves! The 3 star reviews mentioned two other books as being better.

19 minutes ago, gannonball said:

Last year Instead of spunking money on bets I started investing using the trading Direct app. Currently trading at a 50% loss, therefore up about 50% from my betting. 

WINNING.

Speaking from experience, if you don’t know what you’re doing buying shares is a mugs game.

If you want to put a bit aside buy tracker funds or good performaning managed funds under an ISA cover.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

Speaking from experience, if you don’t know what you’re doing buying shares is a mugs game.

If you want to put a bit aside buy tracker funds or good performaning managed funds under an ISA cover.

Im up 50%* from my previous year GD its pretty evident I know what I am doing thanks. 

*Kind of. 

In all seriousness I do also have an investment ISA with my bank but havent really used it years. Might set up a DD to cuck money in that.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

I'd agree, for the vast majority of folk there's no point in buying individual stocks. Unless you're investing reasonably big sums of money the fees alone quite often mean you're needing the shares to perform well to break even.

I have one private stock via an investent ISA - company's IPO was last autumn and i lumped in around this time last year. Has risen from 185p to 260p since. The investment game wont make me a millionaire but its very relaxing knowing theres a pot there something to fall back on.

I'm also in my works share plan where i get 8% of my salary deducted and transferred to shares. They throw in a bonus share for every three that i earn but i need to wait til March '19 to cash in.