Bad habits

NJ2

6 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Eh?

You're basically giving yourself an out, it really isn't the right way to approach it.

Willpower in the long term is a load of bollocks.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, ayrmad said:

You're basically giving yourself an out, it really isn't the right way to approach it.

Willpower in the long term is a load of bollocks.

I'm not really giving myself an out, I know I need to learn to control the urge when I'm drinking and I know that's when I'll find it most difficult not to smoke. Surely acknowledging that is a good thing? 

I'm not really sure how you're suggesting I approach this.

11 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

Have you tried...

51WkuOI+dML._AC_UL320_SR194,320_.jpg

?

Mentioned a few times on here but it's like withcraft. Well worth a look. No cravings, no willpower, it's like someone has reprogrammed your brain. A few hours well spent to read or listen to it (or best of all attend a seminar). 

I look into the science behind it and it seems there isn''t really any science behind it all, it's essentially a placebo. I probably will give it a read but am I buggery paying for a seminar.

Just now, The Moonster said:

I'm not really giving myself an out, I know I need to learn to control the urge when I'm drinking and I know that's when I'll find it most difficult not to smoke. Surely acknowledging that is a good thing? 

I look into the science behind it and it seems there isn''t really any science behind it all, it's essentially a placebo. I probably will give it a read but am I buggery paying for a seminar.

It's so hard to describe how it works. Probably class it as behaviour therapy. Just gets you to look at something in a different way.

My missus was doing a bit of work for them at the time the smoking ban came in and got me into a seminar on the cheap (about £50 instead of £350). I assured her it was a load of bollocks and wouldn't work on me and that I had no intentions to quit and after about an hour I knew I'd never touch a ciggy again.

3 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

It's so hard to describe how it works. Probably class it as behaviour therapy. Just gets you to look at something in a different way.

My missus was doing a bit of work for them at the time the smoking ban came in and got me into a seminar on the cheap (about £50 instead of £350). I assured her it was a load of bollocks and wouldn't work on me and that I had no intentions to quit and after about an hour I knew I'd never touch a ciggy again.

829880.jpg.a712fa5cd8f52bd647ce7577ed0e8b12.jpg

12 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Aim to be like normal non-smokers, their desire to smoke doesn't increase when they're drunk.

When I went to GA for a serious gambling problem I soon realised that some of the advice dished out by experienced members was not fit for purpose, avoid routes that have gambling establishments on them, don't carry cash, get off the bus a stop early/late to avoid bookies etc, all good advice for about a fortnight but absolute twaddle if you're pursuing a normal life for the rest of your years, normal people don't do these things.

I was a taxi driver, most of the busy ranks in Ayr had bookies nearby, I always carried cash, what were my options, give up something I loved doing, don't think so.

My aim was to get to a stage where Ladbrokes could open in my back garden and it wouldn't affect me any more than a normal non gambler, if you're always thinking about things like where bookies are etc then gambling still has you regardless of how many years you've went without a punt.

4 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

829880.jpg.a712fa5cd8f52bd647ce7577ed0e8b12.jpg

There's plenty of folk on here who have quit with Allan Carr's method. Best thing is you don't need to be of a mind to even want to quit. I went along on or around the day or the smoking ban and it felt like I'd had a spell put on me. Would still go to newsagents to buy lighters or chewing gum and then wonder what I was doing there. There may or may not have been hypnosis and an anal probe involved but regardless it did the trick. 

I've cracked the habit of biting my nails, haven't done it for years. Still quite bad for biting the skin around my fingers though, though it's mainly just my thumbs. It's at it worst when I'm either hungry, stressed, tired or bored. 

9 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

There's plenty of folk on here who have quit with Allan Carr's method. Best thing is you don't need to be of a mind to even want to quit. I went along on or around the day or the smoking ban and it felt like I'd had a spell put on me. Would still go to newsagents to buy lighters or chewing gum and then wonder what I was doing there. There may or may not have been hypnosis and an anal probe involved but regardless it did the trick. 

Guaranteed that these things only work on the weak minded.

6 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

That book contains a lot of the strategies/mindsets I employed with my gambling.

10 minutes ago, ayrmad said:

Aim to be like normal non-smokers, their desire to smoke doesn't increase when they're drunk.

Right. But my desire does and I recognise this. This is all in the hope that one day my urge to smoke won't increase when I drink. So I am aiming for that, but you say I'm approaching it in the wrong way.

I'm still not sure what your actual advice is here.

Bad habits of mine..
Squeezing spots - mine, other folks' - any will do
Ripping out long nose hairs or eyebrows. 
Buying too many shoes/clothes
My nails are in good nick. 

Few things are as satisfying as ripping out nasal hair, which I find easier with well bitten nails.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Right. But my desire does and I recognise this. This is all in the hope that one day my urge to smoke won't increase when I drink. So I am aiming for that, but you say I'm approaching it in the wrong way.

He once tried to tell a nurse exactly how she did her job, so I wouldn't worry about taking any of his advice that is even remotely medical-related. 

8 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I found not smoking while drinking a buzz in itself when I was trying to stop. Enduring a hangover without a smoke was much worse.

46 minutes ago, sjc said:
It's more hygienic to lick the toilet seat than biting your nails apparently.

I've not been ill since primary school and have always bitten my nails. Perhaps exposure is 'good'.  Don't think I'm ever particularly aware when I do it though, but it clearly happens, most likely if I'm reading something on a screen.  I've lived with my bidey-in for over 8 years now and she recently pointed out that she's never seen me bite my nails

However... I'll also admit to picking my toenails which I am fully aware of. Don't think I've used a nail clipper in my adult life.  :shutup

1 hour ago, NJ2 said:

After biting my nails for as long as I can remember I managed to stop - mainly because I was in a manual labour job and my hands were often dirty. However, after being office based for a few years, I now bite my nails again. Does anyone else here do it? Have they managed to stop? How?!

I have the same problem and I want to make an effort to  stop now. I plan to try a product called Mavala Stop that someone recommended to me, I think its meant for kids but if it works then I don't care. Apparently it gives you a bitter taste every time you go to bite your nails so eventually you stop doing it.

6 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

Guaranteed that these things only work on the weak minded.

That's what I'd thought - it would never work on me, I enjoy smoking etc. It's so far removed from any anti-smoking ads you'll see. It just goes through your reasons for starting, what brands you like and piece by piece obliterates all your reasons for smoking. Probably works best on a bright, inquisitive mind. It's not a question of willpower or being weak/strong willed. 

Archived