Bad habits

NJ2

After biting my nails for as long as I can remember I managed to stop - mainly because I was in a manual labour job and my hands were often dirty. However, after being office based for a few years, I now bite my nails again. Does anyone else here do it? Have they managed to stop? How?!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a chronic nail biter and also bite the skin of my fingers. Have done since childhood. I work a mixture of a manual labour and office based job. I don't do it when working on site as I'm too busy to get my hands free to bite them, but in the office and at home I bite them regularly, until the bleed and sting. Particularly so if I'm reading or watching a movie.

Yup that all sounds familiar. I was away for 10 days, came back with a full set of nails for the first time in years, one day back at work and in the office and I’ve chewed 7/10 of them. Only way I find I stop is if I chew something else instead, like sweets or chewing gum.

Recently stopped biting my nails, it was fairly easy as I want better looking nails.

Just got smoking, weight loss, inactivity and procrastination to sort out in the short term.

Breaking any habit/addiction is all about having a greater desire to stop than continue, ultimately it's all in the head for most, time to work on your mind.

My missus and daughter are both nail biters (maybe there's a common theme?) but braces have stoped the kid nail biting. I could post you a gumshield [mention=73487]NJ2[/mention] ? 

Braces helped me when I had them but then started again when they came off. I have a gum shield, a fetching pink one just to annoy my mates I throw hands with. I wouldn’t want to wear a gum shield at work, I’d get coffee all over the place.

I just bite my nails to trim them as I'm not an insecure nervous mess. 

I’m not a...well, it’s not why I bite my nails anyway!
I have worse habits but I don’t wish to disclose them here. I’m sure others have worse habits but I want to stop biting my nails, chewing gum is the from runner so far.

5 minutes ago, NJ2 said:

Braces helped me when I had them but then started again when they came off. I have a gum shield, a fetching pink one just to annoy my mates I throw hands with. I wouldn’t want to wear a gum shield at work, I’d get coffee all over the place.

A man after my own heart. Adds insult to injury if you wear something a bit effeminate or otlandish when skelping people. 

Why not get a nice manicure? Would make you too pleased with your hands to want to chew them. Not that it works for my missus. Always finding mugs with bits of nail/skin/nail varnish in them or in cubby holes in her car. 

A man after my own heart. Adds insult to injury if you wear something a bit effeminate or otlandish when skelping people. 
Why not get a nice manicure? Would make you too pleased with your hands to want to chew them. Not that it works for my missus. Always finding mugs with bits of nail/skin/nail varnish in them or in cubby holes in her car. 

A favourite was/is proving to elusive to be hit (in the head anyway) then letting out a big grin knowing all he can see is the big pink gumshield.
I tried the “stop biting your nails” paint type glue stuff you had to brush on. Once you get accustomed to the taste (not all that awful) you just end up chewing that off to bite the nails. If anything it just made more of a game of it.

1 minute ago, Shandon Par said:

Bad habits of mine..

Squeezing spots - mine, other folks' - any will do
Ripping out long nose hairs or eyebrows. 
Buying too many shoes/clothes

My nails are in good nick. 

Not sure why that's a bad habit? I do it when I'm driving, which might make it a bit more of a bad habit. 

I'm currently trying to stop smoking cigarettes, been around 2 weeks since I had my last one (works night out) and I've found it okay. I find that towards the end of each working day my temper is pretty short but aside from that I've not really had too many problems. The real trouble will be when I'm on the bevy and I'm off to see Idlewild tonight so it may be difficult.

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I'm currently trying to stop smoking cigarettes, been around 2 weeks since I had my last one (works night out) and I've found it okay. I find that towards the end of each working day my temper is pretty short but aside from that I've not really had too many problems. The real trouble will be when I'm on the bevy and I'm off to see Idlewild tonight so it may be difficult.

I don't think that's the correct way to look at things.

5 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Have you tried...

51WkuOI+dML._AC_UL320_SR194,320_.jpg

?

Mentioned a few times on here but it's like withcraft. Well worth a look. No cravings, no willpower, it's like someone has reprogrammed your brain. A few hours well spent to read or listen to it (or best of all attend a seminar). 

Archived