Tannadice Terrors v Livi Lions 23/12/17

19 hours ago, Pull My Strings said:

Aye, he has filled out but he's still a young laddie and his only obvious flaw today - which was glaring - was that he was out-muscled far too easily. He either lacks strength or dig. I'm assuming it's strength, which will come. If it's dig then that can be fixed too, although won't just come naturally. The technical parts of his game, and his positioning, we're fine, in my opinion.

TBF, this and all the other previous points about Smith (which I agree with) show our lack of depth on the benches the moment, as really he did not do that much at all given he had the whole second half to take his chance to show what he could do, but he was the best we had too bring on, given Flood's lack of fitness. He was decent against Linfield, however seemed completely out of his depth yesterday.

With only 2 real first teamers* out at the moment, (in terms of Keatings and Murdoch), it demonstrates more than ever that we need at least 3 quality signings in January, whilst continuing to develop the younger fringe players at a suitable pace, rather than potentially pitching them in on what could be a crucial run in in the spring.

In Csaba we trust......;)

*Assume Toshney and Edge do not count as First Teamers.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, MacArab said:

TBF, this and all the other previous points about Smith (which I agree with) show our lack of depth on the benches the moment, as really he did not do that much at all given he had the whole second half to take his chance to show what he could do, but he was the best we had too bring on, given Flood's lack of fitness. He was decent against Linfield, however seemed completely out of his depth yesterday.

With only 2 real first teamers* out at the moment, (in terms of Keatings and Murdoch), it demonstrates more than ever that we need at least 3 quality signings in January, whilst continuing to develop the younger fringe players at a suitable pace, rather than potentially pitching them in on what could be a crucial run in in the spring.

In Csaba we trust......;)

*Assume Toshney and Edge do not count as First Teamers.

You're forgetting Briels and should probably be adding Flood to that list as he clearly wasn't fit enough to play. I agree with the gist though. We were down to the bare bones yesterday.

Edit: as poor as he's been on occasion I'd also welcome Toshney back into the squad which would at least give us some experienced cover on the bench. A lot of guys have rediscovered their form under Csaba so there's still the chance for Toshney to come good. Maybe.

6 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

You're forgetting Briels and should probably be adding Flood to that list as he clearly wasn't fit enough to play. I agree with the gist though. We were down to the bare bones yesterday.

We have a first team squad of 21, including:

Ballantine who is out on loan,

Allardice who, IMO, is not first team quality yet if he ever will be,

Keatings and Briels who have not yet proven themselves, again IMO, and

Edge and Toshney who both should go.

That’s pretty thin.

10 minutes ago, Pull My Strings said:

Edit: as poor as he's been on occasion I'd also welcome Toshney back into the squad which would at least give us some experienced cover on the bench. A lot of guys have rediscovered their form under Csaba so there's still the chance for Toshney to come good. Maybe.

Thought I heard Briels was out the game completely...... Maybe I'm wrong.

Really good point about Toshney tbf. He has not yet had a chance to prove himself under Csaba, and it could be that he was trying too hard for his pal, resulting in the utter clusterfuck he created regularly when he got a chance to play.

Raith fans were raving about him (in the Championship) the year we signed him, and I am a firm believer that a good player does not become a bad player overnight. Perhaps Csaba will bring the best out of him, so actually would be happy to see him given another chance.

35 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

We have a first team squad of 21, including:

Ballantine who is out on loan,

Allardice who, IMO, is not first team quality yet if he ever will be,

Keatings and Briels who have not yet proven themselves, again IMO, and

Edge and Toshney who both should go.

That’s pretty thin.

Aye, I was agreeing that we could do with a bit more depth.

Archived