Tannadice Terrors v Livi Lions 23/12/17

That was the first game Ive seen under Shabba’s reign. The difference in structure and organisation was night and day and right from the start you could see the style we were trying  to implement on the game. Basic things like throw ins and corners were vastly improved and we passed the ball so much better. The one positive from McKinnon’s time was his recruitment last summer, I think he left us with a team more than capable of winning the league and now we’ve landed on our feet with a manager who can get the best and more from them.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another good result and performance. That second goal was glorious and am looking forward to seeing it again on highlights. McMullen and McDonald both seemed to take confidence from their goals and gave their best performances for a while. Hopefully Fyvies injury isn't too bad as he will be a big miss. 

Some really good posts here from both sets of fans, that sum up the game really well imo.

Thought Livi pressed high and hard from the outset but inevitably (particularly due to lack of matches in the past month) they faded after about 20 minutes and United got to enjoy more than a fraction of a second on the ball before being closed down, and made the most of the space and time available, and began to get a grip on the game.

United deservedly went 2 up, and the build up and execution of the second goal was stunning.

Couldn't believe how well we came out in the second half, and could have been another few up within the first few minutes of the restart. 

Livi keeper(big fucker isn't he?) has taken some stick on this thread, but made a few great stops to keep them in the game. 

Some great flowing moves from United in the second half and again guilty of trying to walk it into the net, and the third goal was a good example of the benefit of shooting early. Great reaction from Mcmullan for this.

Fyvie's leg looked pretty bad as he was being helped off, really hope it is not too bad, as our depth is lacking a bit just now (as can be seen by our options on the bench today)

A few Lions earlier in the thread talking about Livi's physical style in midfield, though United got stuck the f**k right in and more than held their own in terms of the physical battle, and more than outplayed Livi on the tactical and skills side.

Thought Livi had some really good passages of play in patches,and can see why they have won a number of games in this division, but were just a bit short in therms of the final ball today.

Overall delighted with the performance and result, and my brother who lives in Essex was here for the game today, (his first game since St Mirren same time last year), and couldn't believe the difference in out play from that game to this.

1 hour ago, ArabFC said:

Good stuff. Hopefully you strengthen enough to pump Dundee in the play-offs.

Good answer sir but don't be too sure about that this is a tough old league with some good teams in it. You can go on a run then bang. Anyway may the best team win that's what I say.

3 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Good answer sir but don't be too sure about that this is a tough old league with some good teams in it. You can go on a run then bang. Anyway may the best team win that's what I say.

Thanks, I hope you do well in the playoffs.

Good win and some good football today. Thought McDonald was really impressive when he dropped deeper. Some great vision and passing.

What a difference in Jamie Robson. The boy has been very impressive since Csaba came in. Along with Quinn and Durnan, our defence has improved drastically. Also Edgenguele has been dumped.

Fyvie bossed the game till his injury and hopefully he'll not be out too long. Flood will plug the gap well till hes back along with Stanton who was in and out today.

Thought our front 4 players were good but Fraser faded when shunted back. 

The young lad up front was awful but i dont think thats his natural position. We won so cant complain about too much.

All in all, well worth the 3 points. The game against the Maureens will be a belter.

I felt for Matty Smith today. He was up against some big, physical players and they didn't give him a sniff. Looked rather out of his depth, sadly.

Quite comfortable in the end, Livingston battled away but we were just better, at least after we scored the first. It proved that we are much better with Fyvie than without him. If his injury is as bad as it looked it makes life a lot more difficult.

Aw well,good day out in the "City of Discovery", arrived off the train bang on noon and a few pints later was feeling the buzz!!

Unfortunately the game,our first at Tannadice for 12 years,was a blip on a class day away,United were in front in every department and a massive improvement on the team we beat down here earlier in the season.

Thought we played well from 70 mins on but couldnt apply a finishing touch(again).

Feel United will go on to clinch the title but Saints will make them sweat for it.

I felt for Matty Smith today. He was up against some big, physical players and they didn't give him a sniff. Looked rather out of his depth, sadly

If we played it into him, he lost it but if we put it in behind them, he was out-musculed. With the fact hes not the tallest, im not sure what he is supposed to be

I was impressed by the application, skill and vision of Livi's number 10, Boyd, but see he's on loan from Hamilton. 

Other than that, the opposition seemed a bunch of bruisers.

Scott McDonald is a fine player, Fraser Fyvie's injury (which initially I thought he was feigning to avoid a booking) looks quite serious.

And Andrew Dallas? He's so bad that he'll go right to the top. 

17 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Regarding Matty Smith, he has filled out, and even seems taller. But his stature isn't what will make or break him, surely?

It's his ability, which I'm not convinced about just yet.

Aye, he has filled out but he's still a young laddie and his only obvious flaw today - which was glaring - was that he was out-muscled far too easily. He either lacks strength or dig. I'm assuming it's strength, which will come. If it's dig then that can be fixed too, although won't just come naturally. The technical parts of his game, and his positioning, we're fine, in my opinion.

This game was always going to be more about getting our fitness back up for the next 3 games, hopefully we've done that and will be a bit more at it against Dumbarton on Tues, we looked well off the pace in our first match for 3 weeks against Falkirk, can't afford to be as lethargic against Dumbarton. Between Utd and St Mirren for the league and we're still in the chase for 3rd and 4th place with QoS, Dunfermline, Morton and perhaps ICT too, but we need to win our games in hand.

For those of you interested in how my pre and post match pints went then I can tell you I've just got home, so basically I'm a party machine. Hopefully Fyvie Fraser's injury isn't as bad as it seems. Fyvie Fraser is a really important player for us.

Fyvie Fraser*

*Inside joke for all the ArabZone subscribers out there. 

Archived