Players of the season

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given his form in recent months I'd say that Tom Walsh is putting forward a very strong case to be our Player of the Season. If he can keep his level of consistency up he can do things that few other members of the squad can.

Failing that Craig Barr, Sam Wardrop and Chris McLaughlin have all been pretty good consistently. I'd expect Froxy to put forward a strong case for the award too once he regains fitness.

In terms of opposition players, Stephen Dobbie and Sam Stanton have both reminded us what we're missing by not still having them. Kallum Higginbotham absolutely shredded us in August, but doesn't seem to have done an awful lot since, with the opposite being true of Coll Donaldson. He had another nightmare at the Rock in September, but was the best player on the park by some distance on Saturday.

Cammy Smith at St Mirren is also a guy I've always liked, and it's no surprise that they looked a far poorer team without him when we won earlier in the month.

Nicky Clark always scores against us, but I thought that Callum Smith looked seriously good in the 0-4 game at home. Couldn't believe he was 17 either.

22 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Morgan, Reilly, Smith have been brilliant but guys like Baird and Eckersley have been doing just as good a job at the back when they haven't been injured or suspended.

Honestly can't pick one between them.

You're right the front 3 will always get the plaudits but Eckersley has been fantastic when he's playing

48 minutes ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

Given his form in recent months I'd say that Tom Walsh is putting forward a very strong case to be our Player of the Season. If he can keep his level of consistency up he can do things that few other members of the squad can.

Failing that Craig Barr, Sam Wardrop and Chris McLaughlin have all been pretty good consistently. I'd expect Froxy to put forward a strong case for the award too once he regains fitness.

Tom Walsh for me too, he's been superb, especially in a more central role. What I like about Walsh is the fact that he never tries to leather the ball, even when shooting from distance he looks to time the ball well rather than hit it as hard as he can, he's a very clever player. 

I would say though that if you're putting forward Wardrop, Barr and McLaughlin then Dowie deserves a mention too. Sure, he had a shaky start but he's been just as good as the Barr for the majority IMO. I'm still not convinced of Wardrop (he lost Tremarco on Saturday and it's not the first time I've seen him lose his man at a set piece) or McLaughlin defensively but both are young and learning, so we can't really argue with our defence this season.

There’s others in here who have been to a lot more games than me so can give a better account but I would say that our best players this season have been Iain Vigurs, Coll Donaldson and Connor Bell.

Vigurs has become a leader of the team and uses the ball so well. Since our form improved he’s integral to everything and allows us to counter attack with pace. The way he can maintain possession has also helped us at the back in taking pressure of the defence. He’s a joy to watch and has really stepped up.

Donaldson starting in defence has been one of the catalysts to us regaining some form. I actually looked at our goals conceded per game and in the games before he started we conceded an average of 2.8 goals per game, since he began starting its 0.4, four goals conceded in ten games, two of which were on his starting debut. He is quick, he is strong, he can use the ball well and has a great understanding with Mckay, Raven and Tremarco. No-one expected it but he has been our signing of the season.

Bell came in after a short trial amid the flurry of signings after we appointed Robbo but he’s gradually won himself a position as our top striker. He reminds me of Billy Mckay, with his work rate and willingness too chase balls into the channels. He’s become an important part of our system and a threat on goal as well - the second goal against Dundee Utd at Tannadice where he started a move ten yards from our own goal line and then ran the entire length of the pitch to finish at United’s back post is a good indicator of his strengths.

Tom Walsh for me too, he's been superb, especially in a more central role. What I like about Walsh is the fact that he never tries to leather the ball, even when shooting from distance he looks to time the ball well rather than hit it as hard as he can, he's a very clever player. 
I would say though that if you're putting forward Wardrop, Barr and McLaughlin then Dowie deserves a mention too. Sure, he had a shaky start but he's been just as good as the Barr for the majority IMO. I'm still not convinced of Wardrop (he lost Tremarco on Saturday and it's not the first time I've seen him lose his man at a set piece) or McLaughlin defensively but both are young and learning, so we can't really argue with our defence this season.

Dowie has no doubt improved massively but it wasn't just a shaky few games he had, he was absolutely honking until the start of November. He's only really started performing in our last 7 games. Mclaughlin and Wardrop have been consistently good since the start, with signs of improvement throughout. Barr started well, hit a bit of a lull when he got shifted into midfield and then starting performing again.

Hutton falls into the Dowie category as well. As good as he's been recently it took him a while to get to that level and we had numerous shiters until Brechin away.

23 minutes ago, mcintyre_gmfc said:

For us I'd probably say Ricki Lamie, he's been our most consistent player.

i'll agree with you there he's been rock solid at the back!! either him or Oliver :thumsup2  Harkins was iffy at the start but is strolling every game he plays now :rolleyes:

1 minute ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Dowie has no doubt improved massively but it wasn't just a shaky few games he had, he was absolutely honking until the start of November. He's only really started performing in our last 7 games. Mclaughlin and Wardrop have been consistently good since the start, with signs of improvement throughout. Barr started well, hit a bit of a lull when he got shifted into midfield and then starting performing again.

Hutton falls into the Dowie category as well. As good as he's been recently it took him a while to get to that level and we had numerous shiters until Brechin away.

I disagree on Dowie, he's been fine since the middle of September (honking back-pass against Inverness aside). Dowie is this years scapegoat for me, every mistake he makes gets amplified whilst others can make mistakes with nothing said about it. Agree on Hutton.

I disagree on Dowie, he's been fine since the middle of September (honking back-pass against Inverness aside). Dowie is this years scapegoat for me, every mistake he makes gets amplified whilst others can make mistakes with nothing said about it. Agree on Hutton.

Got to disagree. Up until Brechin away he was the last name on the teamsheet for me. Not only was he playing badly he spent 90 minutes berating everyone around him. Scott Gallagher (as shite as he was) looked terrified to make a mistake, every time he did Dowie was right in his dish sceaming at him. He appears to have adopted a more encouraging approach in recent times and I think that the players around him are benefitting from it.

Absolutely not a scapegoat for me either. Hutton and Gallagher were given as much criticism, if not more, than he was. There is also a bit more expectation on Dowie to not make stupid mistakes due to his experience

11 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

Got to disagree. Up until Brechin away he was the last name on the teamsheet for me. Not only was he playing badly he spent 90 minutes berating everyone around him. Scott Gallagher (as shite as he was) looked terrified to make a mistake, every time he did Dowie was right in his dish sceaming at him. He appears to have adopted a more encouraging approach in recent times and I think that the players around him are benefitting from it.

Absolutely not a scapegoat for me either. Hutton and Gallagher were given as much criticism, if not more, than he was. There is also a bit more expectation on Dowie to not make stupid mistakes due to his experience

Craig Barr made mistakes through the same period and didn't receive criticism, he's just as experienced as Dowie. Gallagher perhaps on the receiving end of more abuse than Dowie, I'll agree there. 

One win in the last ten games makes it hard to get excited about any of our players just now. However, we had some fantastic performances early in the season. I was never a massive fan of Higginbotham last season but he was superb early this season chipping in with goals, some classy assists and playing on just the right side of edge/aggression. 

2 hours ago, Sonsteam of 08 said:

In terms of opposition players, Stephen Dobbie and Sam Stanton have both reminded us what we're missing by not still having them.

Dobbie had a decent game at Dumbarton midweek recently but it wasn't anything massively special from him and he was very quiet in the 1-0 home win over you so surprised at his mention here. He's our best player by an absolute mile, quite probably the best player in the division, but he's been truly outstanding in only 2 or 3 games this season.

I'd probably put Kyle Jacobs as our Player of the Season so far He's Mr Consistency in terms of what he does, most of which is when we don't have the ball. Dobbie is our best player per above but hasn't done it often enough to date. The three centre backs (Fordyce, Kerr and Brownlie) would be right up there too.

18 minutes ago, Hawk said:

Dobbie sticks out for us obviously  then Jacobs and Fordyce for me.

Pars fans are going to love this thread when the read about Fordyce and Gav!

Don't think anyone had anything but good wishes for Fordyce. He needed to be a staring player yet found himself just behind Morris and Ashcroft. With our reduced budget this year it was deal that suited everyone. 

Archived