Royal Rumble 2018

JamieStevenson

Can't decide if I'm looking forward to this or not. It's going to be a very long and exhausting night, although I imagine they'll lower the timer for the Women's Rumble.

Tag title match could be fun. It appears they're setting up the Universal Championship Match to be carnage as well.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, forameus said:

It was shaping up to be an absolute classic too with who they had involved.  Lesnar, Strowman, Goldberg, Undertaker...the possibilities for stories were there.

I watched it a week or so ago, and most of it has already slipped my mind.  Strowman got jobbed out relatively early, and then it was just killing time until the big boys came in around the 25 mark.  Lesnar came in, obliterated pretty much everyone, including Enzo Amore with a ridiculous clothesline.  Goldberg came in and eliminated Lesnar.  Undertaker eliminated Goldberg.  Reigns came out at 30 for another troll job, and eliminated Undertaker.  Then Wyatt and Orton teamed up to eventually give the latter the win when it was down to them and Reigns.

It wasn't bad, and it did set up a few stories going into WM as it's supposed to do, but it wasn't really a shining example.

Shit, I'd forgotten all about Orton and Wyatt tagging. That was actually decent.

And then their terrible program against each other happened.

And then Wyatt was going to be Sister Abigail...

On the Sunday of the event after looking at the betting odds. Which is why the cut off time was introduced.

Worse than the lowest scum of the earth IMO. Tbf Orton was rapidly shortened at least a week before the event cause I was looking at in work. Idk how you accommodate for that other than getting the Rumble winner in substantially earlier but it’s not rly that big of a deal.

I watched a WhatCulture (f**k that Cultaholic shite) video on the Women's Rumble, and I'm really interested in what they're going to do now.  There's a lot of really good routes they could go down.  They suggested the idea of Santina making an appearance, and then the entire ring just kicking the shit out of him, and I kind of hope they do that now.  Hopefully they don't f**k it up.

Does she necessarily need the charisma though?  She'll bring eyes (read: money) to the product, and she's far from the old way of bringing in a pretty, athletic face and hope she can adapt.  She'll obviously need work to get her ready for wrestling and not actively trying to break her opponent, but she's a big fan, so expect she'll have the right attitude.  

I'd put her with Heyman.  Build him up as having the two most dominant forces on each side of the fence.  Lesnar probably can talk, but how many words has he said (outside of taped interviews) since he returned?  I don't think Rousey necessarily needs to say anything.  Come down, break shit, leave.

Also, and I say this every year, but I absolutely hate when folk can be eliminated by guys who either aren't even in the Rumble or who have been eliminated previously. Fair enough if someone who isn't in it or has been eliminated causes a distraction leading to an elimination, but not them doing the actual eliminating. 

I am looking forward to the woman’s one since they don’t have enough people to fill the rumble so you are guaranteed a few “mark out moments”. Where as the men’s will probably have only 2 surprise entrants if we’re lucky.

Although the men’s is slightly more open than the woman’s.

I think the 25th anniversary show will spoil some of the surprises that there would have been, particularly with the women's rumble as i would imagine numerous former stars appearing at that will also be booked for the rumble.

There is a rumour floating about that there will be a fatal five way @ Fastlane for the WWE title which indicates two things - again I stress this is not confirmed just a rumour - 1) AJ will still have the title after the Rumble and 2) Nakamura is not set to win the Rumble

Which leaves one fucking conclusion - Vince wants Roman Reigns to win so he can challenge Lesnar @ Wrestlemania

Oh bugger

I don't think them scheduling a 5-way for Fastlane really changes anything.  They can easily write themselves out of that with a Smackdown winner.  Could be that the 5 doesn't include the rumble winner, or that he has to , or that the dirtsheets are talking pish and that isn't the plan.  I'd have expected the show that didnt win the Rumble to end up with a number one contendership match rather than a title match, otherwise there's not much at stake going into WM.  Who knows though.

But, if it is, it's probably more likely to have a RAW winner.  If so, then it's probably Reigns unless this steroids stuff gathers steam.  A Smackdown winner would make Reigns/Lesnar better because people wouldn't be annoyed at another Reigns Rumble win, but like Randy says, I'm not really sure Vince gives a shit about that.  

I'm on the fence about Reigns actually going ahead and winning it.  It just depends how they write him in the lead-up, and postRumble.  If they keep him straddling the line between face and heel and looking like Lesnar's equal, fair enough.  But I expect they'll write it as Reigns being the ultimate underdog, which rings hollow when the plan is clearly to have him finally kick out of the F5 and win against the odds.  

It'll absolutely never happen, but I'd like them to completely flip the script.  Have Strowman properly go on the rampage and do the impossible and win the title.  Ultimately have Lesnar vs Reigns at WM anyway, but not for the title, leaving an unexpected winner for the Rumble to go up against Strowman..  Going forward Lesnar can chase the title (if he's still around), as can Reigns, either chasing it from a monster Strowman or whatever underdog they put him up against at WM.  

I just don't really see what having Lesnar/Reigns for the title achieves.  What does Lesnar do next?  Does he leave the company?  Does he just disappear for a few months and then come back in a few months for something new?  He's gotten so fucking stale recently, and it seems to all be about building him up to be beaten.  Fucking meh.

On 18/01/2018 at 11:40, forameus said:

Does she necessarily need the charisma though?  She'll bring eyes (read: money) to the product, and she's far from the old way of bringing in a pretty, athletic face and hope she can adapt.  She'll obviously need work to get her ready for wrestling and not actively trying to break her opponent, but she's a big fan, so expect she'll have the right attitude.  

I'd put her with Heyman.  Build him up as having the two most dominant forces on each side of the fence.  Lesnar probably can talk, but how many words has he said (outside of taped interviews) since he returned?  I don't think Rousey necessarily needs to say anything.  Come down, break shit, leave.

He was very vocal in letting everyone know how little a shit he gave about Heath Slater's kids. 

Would love to see Daniel Bryan come In at number 30 and win It.

Jeff Hardy or Seth Rollins to win and challenge AJ would also be really cool, both them would have great matches with AJ. something different instead of this Reigns and Lesnar shit.

Archived