Queens v St Mirren

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, where to start.

Started like a dream. Dykes and Dobbie combining to move Dobs to 100 goals within 20 seconds and then Dobbie's perfect pass sending Kane clear to make it two.

We dominated early and both McShane and McGinn should have been booked for persistent fouls long before McGinn eventually was. Still though St Mirren going forward were quick and always dangerous. I thought we had managed to see out the immediate reaction until an utter holocaust of a goal changed momentum. Kerr gave the ball away, Martin has no need to come for it as Brownlie has it all day and even then its no problem if they just communicate and one deals with it. Instead Brownlie headed it over Martin and left Gav a tap in. 

Then we were on the back foot and St Mirren tails were up. More so once Jacobs went off on a stretcher leaving us without our midfield shield. Even so at 2-1 Dobbie missed a great chance, Tapping half volleyed over when more composure should certainly see him hit target and Kerr had a close range shot charged down. I thought Kerr wad fouled in the build up to the equaliser but thereafter Brownlie appeared to get it all wrong and left them in on the keeper.

Second half was never going to live up to the first but it was relatively even without much goalmouth action. The winner was cheap with Kerr (I think) losing McKenzie and Martin either unable or unwilling to come out and take it. Think he might have been blocked by someone in front of him. Not sure if the fact Marshall was struggling was a factor in the winner. Probably not.

Thought McGinn was lucky not to be red carded for persistent fouling but St Mirren never really looked like losing an equaliser. A day that started with a 2-0 lead and closing in on the top with Dobbie grabbing his 100th goal ended with us back in 5th and down two important players, neither looking particularly minor at the moment. Nightmare. Not much consolation now in it being a right good game.

Excellent crowd from St Mirren. Generally well behaved (handful of exceptions) and noisy supporting their team.

I agree that people are often to quick to criticise when goals are scored, always looking to find an error rather than praise the attackers.  
However, today was rather more extreme.  The goals we lost were due to bad lapses, with the first, an example of sheer comedy.  Contrast that with Dobbie's, which really did result purely from his genius.
You must surely recognise that from our viewpoint, today went way beyond the usual default grumbling about avoidable goals?
I will give you that dobbies goal was well taken but it was the first minute of the game and we were caught cold.
Poor defences on both parts tbf. Suppose it's one of the reasons that makes this league the best in Scotland

Great win after an awful start. It was as if MacKenzie forgot how to defend for the first 15 minutes. He was all over the place and the pitch didn’t help much either.

Thought we were quite poor today, too much hoofing the ball to nowhere and ball bouncing off players.

Not big on Stelios but thought he was great second half.

6 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well, where to start.

Started like a dream. Dykes and Dobbie combining to move Dobs to 100 goals within 20 seconds and then Dobbie's perfect pass sending Kane clear to make it two.

We dominated early and both McShane and McGinn should have been booked for persistent fouls long before McGinn eventually was. Still though St Mirren going forward were quick and always dangerous. I thought we had managed to see out the immediate reaction until an utter holocaust of a goal changed momentum. Kerr gave the ball away, Martin has no need to come for it as Brownlie has it all day and even then its no problem if they just communicate and one deals with it. Instead Brownlie headed it over Martin and left Gav a tap in. 

Then we were on the back foot and St Mirren tails were up. More so once Jacobs went off on a stretcher leaving us without our midfield shield. Even so at 2-1 Dobbie missed a great chance, Tapping half volleyed over when more composure should certainly see him hit target and Kerr had a close range shot charged down. I thought Kerr wad fouled in the build up to the equaliser but thereafter Brownlie appeared to get it all wrong and left them in on the keeper.

Second half was never going to live up to the first but it was relatively even without much goalmouth action. The winner was cheap with Kerr (I think) losing McKenzie and Martin either unable or unwilling to come out and take it. Think he might have been blocked by someone in front of him. Not sure if the fact Marshall was struggling was a factor in the winner. Probably not.

Thought McGinn was lucky not to be red carded for persistent fouling but St Mirren never really looked like losing an equaliser. A day that started with a 2-0 lead and closing in on the top with Dobbie grabbing his 100th goal ended with us back in 5th and down two important players, neither looking particularly minor at the moment. Nightmare. Not much consolation now in it being a right good game.

Excellent crowd from St Mirren. Generally well behaved (handful of exceptions) and noisy supporting their team.

Another day when we've had 3 points presented to us by inept defending rather than attacking endeavour. 

Will this run of good fortune ever end?! :lol:

As much as I agree that it was 3 defensive lapses that got us the goals, the same could be said for both the qos goals and most goals in football.
I hope qos keep Morton out of the play-offs at the end of the season as I thought their fans were a credit to them. Good luck with the rest of the season. Good team

Perhaps, but in this case I don't think anyone can seriously argue the St Mirren goals were anything other than disastrous defending from ourselves. The first is just so bad and Reilly just needs to keep his eye on the ball and knock it in. The second is perhaps the most difficult of the 3 as it's a one on one, but given he has absolutely no physical pressure on him I never doubted the outcome. The 3rd is as easy a chance GM will ever get. He did his best to arse it up but 4 yards out with no one on him was only going to have one outcome. From a Saints point of view you can of course argue it was poor defending but in both those cases our strikers had a bit of physical pressure on them and had to finish a difficult chance. I'm sure every striker in the world would prefer a Reilly chance to a Kane/Dobbie chance. If you know what I mean?

Being lucky enough to play each opponet when they are having their worst game of the season is the mark of champions.

I don't think that was anywhere close to our worst game of the season nor do I think anyone has suggested it. Outwith the 3 major mistakes we competed extremely well with the league leaders. Had we got the basics right today I expect we'd have won and possibly by more than 2. I'd be over the moon if that was deemed one of our worst performances of the season.

I don't think that was anywhere close to our worst game of the season nor do I think anyone has suggested it. Outwith the 3 major mistakes we competed extremely well with the league leaders. Had we got the basics right today I expect we'd have won and possibly by more than 2. I'd be over the moon if that was deemed one of our worst performances of the season.
Agreed. Good luck

I can only assume those getting incensed about the St Mirren goals being described as poor defending weren't at the game?  The first goal was about as big a calamity as you will see with both our centre halves and goalkeeper making a complete arse of themselves.  The third is a free header from 4 yards out.  The second goal was a well taken finish from Reilly, but again we contributed to our own downfall.

Goals aside St Mirren played well with their pace in attack really causing us problems.  We played about as well as we can and still ended up losing so that in itself is a compliment to St Mirren.  Morgan is comfortably the best player in the league (aside from Lord Dobbs of course), and you brought the best away support of the season.  Having watched our first game on Alba, and after today I would say you are definitely the best team we have faced.  I have only seen us play United for 45 minutes though.  My personal preference would be for you to win the league as aside from the lolz Dundee United failing to go up again would produce, I would be really please for James Fowler who I feel was harshly let go by us.

Is that enough compliments to stop you getting so precious?

22 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well, where to start.

I thought it was Kerr for the 1 at goal but might be wrong .Kerr fault for the 3 rd he completely lost McKenzie at the corner but Martin has to do better the ball was inside his 6 yard box.

17 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

Goals aside St Mirren played well with their pace in attack really causing us problems.  We played about as well as we can and still ended up losing so that in itself is a compliment to St Mirren.  Morgan is comfortably the best player in the league (aside from Lord Dobbs of course), and you brought the best away support of the season.  Having watched our first game on Alba, and after today I would say you are definitely the best team we have faced. 

See I didnt think St Mirren were particularly good in the Alba game up there. They won because we gave them the first goal and then Morgan as usual found the bottom corner with two terrific strikes. I thought we were the better side on the day though and stats suggested we had more of the ball and more shots.

I think St Mirren deserved their win today. Notwithstanding the goals they were quick and dangerous all day. Morgan was excellent again though I have seen him play better. Reilly was a handful. Best I have seen from him since he left us. However it is frustrating as we were two up, playing fairly well, and then handed the initiative over. The first goal would have my son's u8's coach tearing his hair out. It was effectively an own goal. The second and third were poorly defended too albeit not the sort of give them a goal stuff the first was. 

Not sure about who is better between them and United. I do think they will be the top two though and the rest of us are playing for 3rd. Both Saints and United can attack with pace and look very dangerous. Neither look particularly sound defensively. The head to heads will likely be crucial. 

No doubt that we played well today infinitely better than last week.

Kane and Dobbie were terrific especially first half.

Our defending today was awful but I have to say that i have seldom seen a goalkeeper who inspires less confidence in his defence. Invariably glued to the line for all aerial attacks he never seems capable of coming for a cross and alleviating the pressure. Totally out of character he then does come a long way for a ball that looks to be under the control of our central defence and we start to undo all the great early work. For the umpteenth time this season he allows a corner to sail into the six yard box with him again standing like the proverbial statue.

Credit to Saints - to come back and win the game from 0-2 away from home takes some doing.......in saying that it is Queens we are talking about. I thought we might be pegged back to 2-2 but a 2-3 defeat is a sore one even by our standards.Morgan is different class and from midfield to front they look good. Their back 4 was decidedly shaky - that may be the weak link in the context of a title challenge but don't think they will be far away.

An enjoyable afternoon. Eventually. Dodgy defending for all of the goals but our first was by far the funniest. Had just finished moaning about us shelling it forward only for Queens to make an arse of it.

Morton fans strangely quiet on this thread tonight.

25 minutes ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Their back 4 was decidedly shaky - that may be the weak link in the context of a title challenge but don't think they will be far away.

Probably down to being Gary MacKenzie's first game in months. Looked all over the place in first 10 minutes.

An enjoyable afternoon. Eventually. Dodgy defending for all of the goals but our first was by far the funniest. Had just finished moaning about us shelling it forward only for Queens to make an arse of it.
Morton fans strangely quiet on this thread tonight.

Do they tend to venture into your topics when you lose? Maybe that Saints winner wasn't a bad thing then.

I thought we managed to restrict Morgan about as well as you can hope for really which is credit to Mercer and yet we still couldn’t live with Saints.  I was never that confident at 2-0 up and Brownlie was responsible for the worst  backwards header at Palmerston  since Kevin James’s hilarious own goal.  It just felt inevitable with Mckenzie’s goal seemingly happening in slow motion.  At least you can’t say we aren’t exciting....

With Fordyce and presumably Jacobs now out with Marshall taking also knock it’s about as bare bones as you can get really. The prospect of Rooney at centre half because of a suspension would be too much for my heart.  If being near the playoffs was enough incentive to bring someone in, then now it’s a necessity. 

13 minutes ago, 19QOS19 said:

Do they tend to venture into your topics when you lose? Maybe that Saints winner wasn't a bad thing then.

Oh f**k aye. You don't see them for months and then one defeat and they descend. 

It's been such a barren season for them, they even started on us when we didn't get the city of culture vote. :lol:

3 minutes ago, Sloop John B said:

I thought we managed to restrict Morgan about as well as you can hope for really which is credit to Mercer 

I would have given Mercer Man of the Match. After the roasting Morgan gave him last season he clearly fancied it again, even switching wings when Merce had to go to left back. But he contained him as well as you could reasonably expect him to and was our best defender. He has really played well the last few weeks.

Archived