I remember when you could leave your door open

Scary Bear

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 17/12/2017 at 08:57, Boghead ranter said:

Also : don't leave your car keys on a table near the front door, there is a gang going round with a fishing rod, hooking the keys out through the letter box.

Yeah, they don't even need to physically get a hold of your keys or even see them any more (excuse the shocked teenage girl title of the video):

Police now warning folk to keep keys well away from doors/perimeter walls to stop this happening.  Interesting to note that these key cloning machines can read through metal, so if you're worried then keeping your keys in a metal storage box in the house somewhere is probably a good idea.

On 12/18/2017 at 02:22, Gaz FFC said:

I don't lock doors and regularly leave my car open all night.

I find it unsettling when folk lock me in their house even though several people are in there.

How petrified of life do you have to be to lock doors when you'e in?

Madness to go to sleep without locking your doors, surely?

Just now, Gaz FFC said:

Depends where you live.

Like I say I've left the motor unlocked all night.

I'd not be able to sleep if I didn't lock the door before going to bed.  Leaving the car open is slightly different - you're not going to wake up in the car to find a burglar rifling through the glovebox. Then again, I'm from Dundee and have lived in Bolton and am now in the Philippines so perhaps i'm more cautious.

1 minute ago, hk blues said:

I'd not be able to sleep if I didn't lock the door before going to bed.  Leaving the car open is slightly different - you're not going to wake up in the car to find a burglar rifling through the glovebox. Then again, I'm from Dundee and have lived in Bolton and am now in the Philippines so perhaps i'm more cautious.

For the record I do lock my doors at night, actually the wife does.

I was more referring to when it's the afternoon or evening and you go to someones house to find the door locked when you arrive and they lock you in too.

I've looked at what a thief would steal from me and have to say he'd be pretty pissed off in my house.

If he could get my Tele off the wall and discretely steal that I guess it's about all that would be worth his while.

I'd probably need to exaggerate the claim to the insurance company to make myself sound less poor. 

I used to leave my front door open out of laziness more than anything else. 3 years ago I woke up and had been burgled. Never heard a thing. So I lock it.

Folk trying folks doors at night is absolutely rife, so if you don’t lock your door at night it’s probably only a matter of time before you get burgled.

d360e99e61781920e66ab5766270daf7.jpg

That’s 2 folk who tried my daughters house a week or two ago.

I thought you were about 19.

I caught a guy trying my car door at the start of summer. The wee one had just been born so luckily I was up during the night. I was just getting back to bed when I heard a noise outside. Looked out the window and saw someone walking round my car to the driver door.

In a moment of inspiration I simply opened my bedroom window and went “can I help you mate?” The guy just sprinted away. I found it quite funny at the time because the whole area was quiet so I could hear him sprinting all the way out my street and up into the next street back to Onthank (the scheme for those who watched the show).

The next day I was quite angry about it though and I felt as if I had been broken into just because the guy tried it. Having a kid makes you re-evaluate what’s important and I’ve found myself being a lot more security conscious and aware ever since.

13 hours ago, pittsburgh phil said:

Surely it depends on where you live? I'm in the leafy suburbs of Perth these days and reckon I'd be fine but lived in Leith (maybe at a push) and Granton (not a chance)...

You'll not be fine once Brexit starts biting those poor fermers.

Tryfield's big bro left his door open 24/7, folk used to just pop in and have parties even when he wasn't in, Tryfield put an end to that behaviour when he moved in.

On 17/12/2017 at 06:19, Shandon Par said:

My olde brother used to get burgled all the time. A local Fagin figure had a gang of kids who would break in (being small enough to fit through little windows). They’d leave the booze but sit in the kitchen and tuck into Coke, crisps etc. 

I remember a time when I could squeeze through the bars of business premises, I've got to take a deep breath to get in the turnstiles at San Somerset now.

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

This happened to me last year of sorts.  Had left my previous car open (my dads old Fiat Punto) and when I went out int he morning, the passenger door was slightly open and the glove box was open and had clearly been rifled through. Luckily the sum total value of car and contents was about 40p so no harm done. 

I was more getting at the fact that leaving the car door open was less risky than the house door as it's unlikely you're going to disturb a burglar in the car. 

This happened to me last year of sorts.  Had left my previous car open (my dads old Fiat Punto) and when I went out int he morning, the passenger door was slightly open and the glove box was open and had clearly been rifled through. Luckily the sum total value of car and contents was about 40p so no harm done. 

Somebody slept in my car when I left it open one night.

I didn’t even realise until I had been in it for a few mins. It smelt really badly of smoke but I was a smoker in those days so it took a couple of minutes for me to realise it smelt worse than normal. Then I found a lighter and smoked fags in the ashtray that I never used.

About a day or so later I realised whoever it was had used my girlfriends lipstick to write “sorry” and “your gay” on the inside of my window.

Somebody slept in my car when I left it open one night.

I didn’t even realise until I had been in it for a few mins. It smelt really badly of smoke but I was a smoker in those days so it took a couple of minutes for me to realise it smelt worse than normal. Then I found a lighter and smoked fags in the ashtray that I never used.

About a day or so later I realised whoever it was had used my girlfriends lipstick to write “sorry” and “your gay” on the inside of my window.

Wonder if they were sorry for sleeping in the car or writing “your gay” in the car? If I was locked out pished I doubt I’d even think of it, but then most cars lock automatically these days.

Archived