I remember when you could leave your door open

Scary Bear

It was a simpler time.

Old people on telly tend to go on about leaving their door open when reminiscing about times gone by. As this was a sign that people trusted each other and didn’t worry about crime.

I leave my front door open, well, unlocked anyway. Do you?

Maybe, they meant when they were out at the shops and the likes they left the door open. In which case that’s stupid. I would lock my door.

What are your door locking habits?

*topic sponsored by the Chartered Institute of Housebreakers.

**apologies, but this is what my hungover brain is contemplating. I’ve no outlet for this boring topic other than here. I suppose I could try and turn it into a poem on Facebook but I’m not ready to travel that road as yet.

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Who remembers a forty page argu-thread about this back in the day?

Was that the one where XBL broke into someone’s house and assaulted them?

Maybe the man who lured the averagey looking cocktease away from him.

23 minutes ago, Scary Bear said:

It was a simpler time.

Old people on telly tend to go on about leaving their door open when reminiscing about times gone by. As this was a sign that people trusted each other and didn’t worry about crime.

I leave my front door open, well, unlocked anyway. Do you?

Maybe, they meant when they were out at the shops and the likes they left the door open. In which case that’s stupid. I would lock my door.

What are your door locking habits?

*topic sponsored by the Chartered Institute of Housebreakers.

**apologies, but this is what my hungover brain is contemplating. I’ve no outlet for this boring topic other than here. I suppose I could try and turn it into a poem on Facebook but I’m not ready to travel that road as yet.

Burglary was much easier back in the day, but you have to adapt. Internet fraud is the way forward. I'm to old for clambering in and out windows.

My door locks automatically after 3 seconds.
Tbf I'm living in a hotel.

Where my mum lives, most people don't lock their doors, unless they are going on holiday.
I honestly don't think I've ever met anyone that has been burgled, is it still a thing?
I thought everyone just did thieving online now?

8 minutes ago, Brother Blades said:

I honestly don't think I've ever met anyone that has been burgled, is it still a thing?

Walking into people’s houses and taking their car keys was a thing I remember being common fairly recently. Made a lot of people in middle class areas reevaluate their policy of not locking their door while they are in, particularly if they had one of the commonly targeted cars like a Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc in the drive.

I also have mates who live in big new build houses in commuter towns who seem to keep getting warnings about people going about trying doors and whatnot but none of them have been burgled so dunno if it’s urban myth.

10 minutes ago, The OP said:

Walking into people’s houses and taking their car keys was a thing I remember being common fairly recently. Made a lot of people in middle class areas reevaluate their policy of not locking their door while they are in, particularly if they had one of the commonly targeted cars like a Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc in the drive.

I also have mates who live in big new build houses in commuter towns who seem to keep getting warnings about people going about trying doors and whatnot but none of them have been burgled so dunno if it’s urban myth.

TBF it was quite easy for them to lose keys at parties.

12 minutes ago, The OP said:

A friend of mine was robbed this way, until he put out a rant/appeal on Facebook.

As his family were well known in Aberdeen an apology was given and everything returned.

Archived