I remember when you could leave your door open

Scary Bear

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit concerned by the wording of the title. The OP remembers when I could leave my door open?

How long have you been watching me/us, Scary Bear, and what will it take to stop you giving your evidence to the police?

My olde brother used to get burgled all the time. A local Fagin figure had a gang of kids who would break in (being small enough to fit through little windows). They’d leave the booze but sit in the kitchen and tuck into Coke, crisps etc. 

20 hours ago, The OP said:

Walking into people’s houses and taking their car keys was a thing I remember being common fairly recently. Made a lot of people in middle class areas reevaluate their policy of not locking their door while they are in, particularly if they had one of the commonly targeted cars like a Mercedes, Audi, BMW, etc in the drive.

I also have mates who live in big new build houses in commuter towns who seem to keep getting warnings about people going about trying doors and whatnot but none of them have been burgled so dunno if it’s urban myth.

Also : don't leave your car keys on a table near the front door, there is a gang going round with a fishing rod, hooking the keys out through the letter box.

8 minutes ago, Tynieness said:

You had Magee in your house, that should be the least of your worries.

We should all let Magee in our homes every so often.  

3 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Done that pished on more than one occasion. Also left the keys in the car a few times.  

As a kid we went on a weekend break and came back to spot my mum’s handbag on the roof of her car and her house keys in the door. Honest bunch the Fifers. Made a change from her putting them in the freezer, washing machine etc. 

Just now, Tynieness said:

He is probably watching you right now

@Flybhoy what is Addie up too.

Of course he is.  Im making a fry up for him.

We are like Johnny and Denny.

Where I used to live quite a lot of cops lived in the area, so the area was consequently quite well patrolled. Just how well patrolled I found out one night when I was sitting watching a film and eating a pizza when two polis walked into my living room. 

Near shat myself.

I'd come home half cut and managed to not shut the door behind me properly - lock hadn't clicked, it had blown a bit open and literally ten minutes later two of Strathclyde's finest were on the case.

My aul fella leaves his front door unlocked at all times, including overnight and whilst at work, only locking it when going on holiday. He insists that's the norm in his small town. Here in civilisation (upcoming irony intended) I keep mine locked at all times, including whilst home. My old next door neighbour had a dvd player lifted whilst they were home as some chancer noticed the door wasn't locked.

6 minutes ago, Sweet Pete said:

My aul fella leaves his front door unlocked at all times, including overnight and whilst at work, only locking it when going on holiday. He insists that's the norm in his small town. Here in civilisation (upcoming irony intended) I keep mine locked at all times, including whilst home. My old next door neighbour had a dvd player lifted whilst they were home as some chancer noticed the door wasn't locked.

Have you still got it?

Archived