Brno

Girth

Brno is okay IMO: it is a relatively large city with plenty to offer, but it has just never been a favourite of mine. The weather tended to be ropey whenever I passed through as well, which didn't help. Špilberk Castle (a former political prison during the Habsburg period) is worth visiting next to the city centre, which is pretty compact with decent pubs. Brno is in Moravia , which isn't quite as into beer as Prague and the rest of Bohemia: wine is quite commonly drank as well. The Starobrno beer is inoffensive but fairly bland stuff IMO, but you'll be able to get several other Czech beer brands instead. The 'Černá Hora' brand is a good, mid-sized brewery to look out for, as there's usually a couple of pubs in each town that tap it.

Unless visiting for only a day or two, I'd highly recommend traveling to Olomouc, the other historical city of Moravia as well: it's at most an hour between them by bus or train, so can be easily done as a day trip. The centre of Olomouc really is comparable to Prague in terms of its historic architecture, but lacks the rafts of crowds that make Prague's chief tourist areas pretty annoying. Both Olomouc and Brno are major university towns, so if travelling during the term time then they'll have quite lively night life as well. 

Brno is okay IMO: it is a relatively large city with plenty to offer, but it has just never been a favourite of mine. The weather tended to be ropey whenever I passed through as well, which didn't help. Špilberk Castle (a former political prison during the Habsburg period) is worth visiting next to the city centre, which is pretty compact with decent pubs. Brno is in Moravia , which isn't quite as into beer as Prague and the rest of Bohemia: wine is quite commonly drank as well. The Starobrno beer is inoffensive but fairly bland stuff IMO, but you'll be able to get several other Czech beer brands instead. The 'Černá Hora' brand is a good, mid-sized brewery to look out for, as there's usually a couple of pubs in each town that tap it.
Unless visiting for only a day or two, I'd highly recommend traveling to Olomouc, the other historical city of Moravia as well: it's at most an hour between them by bus or train, so can be easily done as a day trip. The centre of Olomouc really is comparable to Prague in terms of its historic architecture, but lacks the rafts of crowds that make Prague's chief tourist areas pretty annoying. Both Olomouc and Brno are major university towns, so if travelling during the term time then they'll have quite lively night life as well. 

Cheers mate. [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Cheap as f**k, nice enough city. Wish I'd done Prague instead but the flights home were cheaper. Oh yeah the "Brno-Turany airport" is tiny and well outside the city but there's a bus that takes you there. Stayed in the Grand Hotel, 4 stars and cheaper than a hostel in Vienna or Budapest. :lol: Between the three of us we had a sit down meal and about 20 pints in the city centre for £12 each.

Lived here for three years now, absolutely love it. If you're looking for a nice wee city to enjoy pints and nice restaurants rather than relentless tourism then it's well worth it. Would be happy to offer recommendations and to show anyone around.

4 hours ago, Menzel said:

Lived here for three years now, absolutely love it. If you're looking for a nice wee city to enjoy pints and nice restaurants rather than relentless tourism then it's well worth it. Would be happy to offer recommendations and to show anyone around.

Are you teaching English?

On 15/12/2017 at 11:09, HibsFan said:

Cheap as f**k, nice enough city. Wish I'd done Prague instead but the flights home were cheaper. Oh yeah the "Brno-Turany airport" is tiny and well outside the city but there's a bus that takes you there. Stayed in the Grand Hotel, 4 stars and cheaper than a hostel in Vienna or Budapest. :lol: Between the three of us we had a sit down meal and about 20 pints in the city centre for £12 each.

Think you made the right choice. Went to Prague a year after the Velvet Revolution, unique from anywhere else I'd been and incredibly cheap. The only way you could recognise a pub was a slightly open door and some red light. Go in and there would be a staircase to a massive cavern where a full meal and 3 pints would cost 50p. Returned a few years ago and it seemed like any European capital in terms of restaurants, pubs and general atmosphere. Brno is definitely on my list. Not bothered about the prices, it was seeing a Prague bar with a Stella sign that pissed me off most, probably.

Archived