Aberdeen vs Hibs

Well that was a great day. By far the best and most enjoyable performance of our season.

Hibs will be disappointed but focusing on us I thought we were fantastic. Our work off the ball was outstanding, we let hibs knock it about the back four but as soon as the ball came into the midfield two we pounced and they had no answer to it.

Shinnie was absolutely immense and was key to what I just mentioned above. Christie and McLean not far behind.

Delighted for GMS, I said after the killie game there is a player there and he really showed it today. He needs to produce that regularly though, it’s up to him to show he can produce that consistently.

Two fantastic goals today but all round I thought we were superb. That’s the performance we’ve been waiting for all season.

That’s the benchmark dons, get to that level every week and we’ll be fine.

3 wins in a row too since the mcinnes/rangers saga ended...coincidence?

COYR

• Replies 196
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Jmothecat2 said:

When did we last actually lose to Hibs in the league? I genuinely can't remember. I seem to remember a while where we never seemed to win against them, now it feels as though the opposite is true.

May 2012

Guest Bob Mahelp
7 minutes ago, EdTheDuck said:

May 2012

Yeap.

For years before that both teams wobbled between fairly reasonable and utter gash, and results were pretty much shared around. There were some utterly horrendous 0-0 draws for a while.

Yeap.
For years before that both teams wobbled between fairly reasonable and utter gash, and results were pretty much shared around. There were some utterly horrendous 0-0 draws for a while.

I remember one at Easter Road, early in the season where I don't think either side had a shot on target.

I also remember a loss at Easter Road when two Aberdeen players were wrongly sent off, still took until right at the end of the match for Hibs to actually get the winning goal.

That was the performance yesterday we were all looking for all season. It was like watching last season's team in terms of dominance but with some technically superior play to that.

Obviously GMS had a superb game, I'm not his biggest fan but fair play to him. Shinnie, outside GMS, would have been man of the match. For the second time this season he absolutely destroyed multi million pound man McGinn. A classy performance.

On John McGinn, he's a good player having seen him in other games but against us, he's never showed up whether for St Mirren or Hibs. As such, a lot of Dons fans do not get the hype around him. We nullify him very well.

Now if McInnes can take yesterday into next week in terms of pressing the opponent, that would be nice.

1 hour ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Now if McInnes can take yesterday into next week in terms of pressing the opponent, that would be nice.

That, and if he watched what Hearts did to them, in terms of their game plan, surely to goodness he has to realise that is the way to deal with Celtic

That, and if he watched what Hearts did to them, in terms of their game plan, surely to goodness he has to realise that is the way to deal with Celtic

You'd have thought he had realised that after the Scottish Cup Final but he reverted to type in October, and then again twice v the ****.

Maybe, just maybe he may shed his conservative nature.

Guest Bob Mahelp
11 hours ago, BucksburnDandy said:

Obviously GMS had a superb game, I'm not his biggest fan but fair play to him. Shinnie, outside GMS, would have been man of the match. For the second time this season he absolutely destroyed multi million pound man McGinn. A classy performance.

On John McGinn, he's a good player having seen him in other games but against us, he's never showed up whether for St Mirren or Hibs. As such, a lot of Dons fans do not get the hype around him. We nullify him very well.

Over the last few years it's been obvious Shinnie has been consistently stronger, better and more influential in games than McGinn. In fact, along with Scott Brown, Shinnie has probably been the most consistent Scottish player in the country for 3 seasons now.

I'm reckoning that there are 3 things that work against him......the fact that Strachan and McGhee simply (and bizarrely) ignored him ; the fact that his superb versatility as a full-back, a defensive midfielder and an attacking midfielder makes it difficult for some people to recognise his worth ; and the fact that in the big games over the last few years....last year's Scottish cup final aside.....the team haven't as a whole haven't really turned in performance worth the name.

I've watched the Dons for many a year now and I can't think of a single player in the last 3 decades that has matched Shinnie for the combination of drive, consistency, ability, influence, versatility and leadership.

Lennon thinking it would be a good idea to proclaim we are the second best footballing team in the country before this game worked out well. Absolute moron. Up there with playing Efe Ambrose at right back up against GMS and giving Whittaker a THREE year deal. 

Archived