• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, Tynieness said:

I agree but is it because we're over the hill.  For me when I was younger (40 now) you still had everyone wandering round peoples houses carrying a bottle.  Nowadays if you wandered round the streets you would get a kicking.  Nobody seems to do that now.

Loads of people still do that, I'm 23 and I've done it the past 8/9 years and will be again this year. You've done the classic middle aged person 'it was better in my day' spiel, but the reality is it's just that you've gotten older and your age group doesn't do it.

31 minutes ago, Bairnardo said:

Probably a lot to do with how many people these days live in big massive housing developments where hardly anyone knows their neighbours. I include myself in this.

I may have misunderstood. I don't go round random neighbours houses, but go round to someone's house that I know for a party. If he means just wandering around your neighbours then he's right that has probably died out as I've never heard of a single person doing that.

1 hour ago, invergowrie arab said:

I was in Edinburgh last Saturday. If George St/Rose St is like that just for a few stalls selling hard carved spoons, cinnamon candles and chutney I can't imagine how hellish hogmanay would be.

When I first moved here I used to think the folk I worked with moaning about the Christmas markets were grumpy old b*****ds. 7 years later now I understand, don't get what people find enjoyable about the markets, absolutely awful, you can barely move. Also the Edinburgh NY is shite, I went a couple of years ago as an intermission to my usual Aviemore trip, it was absolutely cack. About 10pm it sort of clicked that I'd paid £15 to get into a street I walk up and down everyday, to drink tins of beer in the rain.

Christmas is mental. I have a my daughters birthday in between Christmas and new year. With a boxing day meal with the inlaws and another family meal on the 28th its all good, if not a bit full on.

I'm fully hoping the kids end up at my parents for New Year so me and the missus can  just get the feet up and watch whatever shit is on the TV and have a few drinks. If we manage to stay awake for the Bells, great.

13 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Billy Connolly talks about wandering about with a carry out listening for parties.

Was this a real thing?

Yes it was in Glasgow. Someone alway knew where there was a party, and each time you arrived it was the same old sh*t. Random folk sitting about eating black bun etc. , drinking , and there was always an old granny or grandpa sitting in the corner with a sherry or whisky. You would stay about 30 minutes then someone else would say they knew a better one so you would all trek off to this house, same scenario different people.

18 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

Billy Connolly talks about wandering about with a carry out listening for parties.

Was this a real thing?

It was and still is, although these days all the neds have to do is look on Facebook  to find out whose house to invade.

1 minute ago, WILLIEA said:

Yes it was in Glasgow. Someone alway knew where there was a party, and each time you arrived it was the same old sh*t. Random folk sitting about eating black bun etc. , drinking , and there was always an old granny or grandpa sitting in the corner with a sherry or whisky. You would stay about 30 minutes then someone else would say they knew a better one so you would all trek off to this house, same scenario different people.

That sounds utterly dreadful. Who would want to go to a random house party with people you don't know, and more importantly, who on earth would allow unknown people to stroll into their house in the middle of a party.

Going to Bruges with my girlfriend for three days over new year. Looking forward to it.

Was in a pub in central London last year, was deathly quiet until everyone piled in about 1am after the fireworks. 

It's obviously not Hogmanay here but I generally can't be arsed with NYE. Have Middlesbrough away the day before which will involve lots of drinking so tempted just to say I'm sick and won't be out on the 31st.

The only downside is I'll feel depressed at midnight, if I do.

Archived