Cutting your own hair and making an arse of it

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From about 2013 - 2016 I was cutting my own hair. Usually it was just a one or a zero all over but then I started to experiment with doing just the back and sides. I kept fucking it up though so had a solution. This is where you'll think I'm insane but I would get an old shoelace and tie it around my head. I would then shave up against the shoelace and it would prevent me going too far with the clipper. Nobody really noticed but it didn't really look great on reflection so have been going back to the barbers except when it's a zero which I just do myself.

For years I've cut my own hair: don't like listening to a barber or hairdresser talking pish and asking questions.

Bought a Remington kit a number of years ago, but generally just chop bits off in as uneven a manner as possible on the top, while keeping the sides in a roughly neat manner. Must have saved a fortune over the years. In any case, the hairdressers I've been to in the past have rarely listened to instructions. They have their favourite styles, which aren't mine.

Just now, Snafu said:

That's a sweeping statement.

So just because you failed at this possible once attempt, no one else could possibly succeed at basic self maintaining task.

There were times in the (distant) past where I struggled financially, however I have never been desperate enough to try this.

I cannot imagine anyone doing this for non-financial reasons.

Anyone who can afford to go to a barber and yet still thinks “hey, I’m going to cut my own hair” is a fuckwit of epic proportions.

1 minute ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

For years I've cut my own hair: don't like listening to a barber or hairdresser talking pish and asking questions.

Bought a Remington kit a number of years ago, but generally just chop bits off in as uneven a manner as possible on the top, while keeping the sides in a roughly neat manner. Must have saved a fortune over the years. In any case, the hairdressers I've been to in the past have rarely listened to instructions. They have their favourite styles, which aren't mine.

^^^

images.jpeg

37 minutes ago, Jamaldo said:

This is where you'll think I'm insane but I would get an old shoelace and tie it around my head. I would then shave up against the shoelace and it would prevent me going too far with the clipper

Back in the day as a nipper I went to a barber that used to put a bowl over your head, quite effective.

changed clippers a few months ago, the old one grade 1 was 3mm long but this new one grade 1 is errrr 1mm. Pisses the wife off no end, which is pleasing. Having hair just irritates me

6 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Indeed you can't imagine. You obviously believe because you are incapable of this simple task no one else is. Some are better than others at cutting their own hair, many never learn because they are either too lazy or prefer someone else to make the choice for them on how their hair should look. Learn how to cut your own hair properly through practice.

But until you get it right you don't mind looking like a twat?

26 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There were times in the (distant) past where I struggled financially, however I have never been desperate enough to try this.

I cannot imagine anyone doing this for non-financial reasons.

Anyone who can afford to go to a barber and yet still thinks “hey, I’m going to cut my own hair” is a fuckwit of epic proportions.

When I first moved to Argyll, the nearest barber was an hour each way in the car. The (now ex) wife was quite capable of using electric clippers.

In my case, time was the factor - not finance. 

4 minutes ago, heedthebaa said:

Back in the day as a nipper I went to a barber that used to put a bowl over your head, quite effective.

changed clippers a few months ago, the old one grade 1 was 3mm long but this new one grade 1 is errrr 1mm. Pisses the wife off no end, which is pleasing. Having hair just irritates me

This was because you are ugly.

1 minute ago, tongue_tied_danny said:

I borrowed a set of flippers from a mate and tried cutting my own hair.

It was a fucking disaster. I didn't look £8 better off and I didn't feel £8 better off.

I just leave it to the professionals now. Besides visiting a hairdresser gives me a rare opportunity to speak to women.

Is your mate a dolphin?

Archived