Cutting your own hair and making an arse of it

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Richey Edwards said:

Does anyone here cut their own hair?

I attempted to trim my back and sides earlier in a sort of Britney Spears 2007-esque moment of stupidity to save a trip to the barbers. I am currently wearing a hat on my way to get it fixed. Pictures available on request.

Has anyone had a similar self-inflicted hair mishap?

2 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

I've cut my own hair for about 10 years now. It's straightforward and saves money, plus I hate going to the barbers. I hate having to wait but more than anything I hate getting hair down the back of my collar and it itching like f**k, which also ruins the t-shirt I'm wearing as no matter how many times I wash it I can't get rid of one or two annoying itchy hairs. For this reason I cut my hair naked, then give myself a quick brush before jumping in to the shower.

Usually it's fine, but if I make a dick of it I can just cut it short, which is why I'm currently sporting an 8" on top and 2" back and sides. I had trimmed the back and sides at the weekend and trimmed the fringe, but cut a bit too much off of one part, so it just looked ludicrous, so off it all came. My forehead feels cold as it's the first time in about a year it's been exposed. It's much quicker to wash now, and I don't have to do anything to it before leaving the house.

It grows back quick enough.

Have you two no' rights ever thought of moving in together?

2 hours ago, bennett said:

Go to the barbers ffs and stop being so cheap.

Don't be so harsh.

Along the same idea, I can imagine what he might mention next.
"I had a bad tooth but didn't want to pay a dentist to pull it out when I could do that myself."

I look forward to reading about that.

2 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Depends who you go to in my experience.  I've been going to the same barber since I was a wee boy and know which ones to avoid and which ones actually listen you. Generally I'll try and get the same guy every time as he knows what I want.  Hairdressers are usually expensive as f**k and you need an appointment in advance, I'd much rather shave my own head than be arsed with any of that shite. I also find that with every year that passes by I give less of a shite what my hair looks like, taking the simpler approach of "as long as I don't look like a hipster or a bam I'm doing fine", so forking out £8 to the barber suits me fine.

How is needing an appointment in advance a hassle :lol:

If I can't make an appointment somewhere I won't bother. What's a hassle is sitting waiting on a barber for half an hour or more at times when you could just stroll in at the time of your appointment and be seen immediately. 

I assume people who cut their own hair just clipper it, each to their own but I don't want to look like Forrest Gump.

2 hours ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I'm a self cutter. It's getting easier by the year luckily enough.

A few years back I was giving my self a number 2 all over (no, not that one) when I took the guard off and asked the missus to trim my curly bits and square off the rear end. She duly obliged and then said "I'll just tidy this bit up" and proceeded to take a massive strip off the back of my bonce.

Had to do a work tour of India with what was practically a reverse Mohican. Minter doesn't even come close.

I cut my own fringe when I was about 7, straight to the hairdressers with a raging maw.

I'm blessed to be part of the bald community so just zero my napper and 3 my beard (grown in response to baldness so as not to look in any way right wingy) weekly.

Going to the barbers weekly is an expensive habit. When I moved and parted company with my barber mate who only charged me £8 I started doing it myself. It's about £15 anywhere in Edinburgh, arsehole nearest my flat was £25 cause he lined my beard with an open razor. That was the final straw.

Archived