Cutting your own hair and making an arse of it

Does anyone here cut their own hair?

I attempted to trim my back and sides earlier in a sort of Britney Spears 2007-esque moment of stupidity to save a trip to the barbers. I am currently wearing a hat on my way to get it fixed. Pictures available on request.

Has anyone had a similar self-inflicted hair mishap?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've cut my own hair for about 10 years now. It's straightforward and saves money, plus I hate going to the barbers. I hate having to wait but more than anything I hate getting hair down the back of my collar and it itching like f**k, which also ruins the t-shirt I'm wearing as no matter how many times I wash it I can't get rid of one or two annoying itchy hairs. For this reason I cut my hair naked, then give myself a quick brush before jumping in to the shower.

Usually it's fine, but if I make a dick of it I can just cut it short, which is why I'm currently sporting an 8" on top and 2" back and sides. I had trimmed the back and sides at the weekend and trimmed the fringe, but cut a bit too much off of one part, so it just looked ludicrous, so off it all came. My forehead feels cold as it's the first time in about a year it's been exposed. It's much quicker to wash now, and I don't have to do anything to it before leaving the house.

It grows back quick enough.

5 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

I've cut my own hair for about 10 years now. It's straightforward and saves money, plus I hate going to the barbers. I hate having to wait but more than anything I hate getting hair down the back of my collar and it itching like f**k, which also ruins the t-shirt I'm wearing as no matter how many times I wash it I can't get rid of one or two annoying itchy hairs. For this reason I cut my hair naked, then give myself a quick brush before jumping in to the shower.

Usually it's fine, but if I make a dick of it I can just cut it short, which is why I'm currently sporting an 8" on top and 2" back and sides. I had trimmed the back and sides at the weekend and trimmed the fringe, but cut a bit too much off of one part, so it just looked ludicrous, so off it all came. My forehead feels cold as it's the first time in about a year it's been exposed. It's much quicker to wash now, and I don't have to do anything to it before leaving the house.

It grows back quick enough.

I read that imagining it as a Patrick Bateman-esque voice over. 

10 minutes ago, Shandon Par said:

My mum tried cutting my hair when I was a kid. Was petrified as she was so scatterbrained and unsurprisingly she sliced through my ear. Now a nice man called Gary looks after my locks. 

Are you in his gang?

1 minute ago, The Moonster said:

By this do you mean you go to a hair salon? Because barbers actually cut hair too.

A hairdresser, yes. Barbers do shite haircuts.

Just now, smpar said:

A hairdresser, yes. Barbers do shite haircuts.

Depends who you go to in my experience.  I've been going to the same barber since I was a wee boy and know which ones to avoid and which ones actually listen you. Generally I'll try and get the same guy every time as he knows what I want.  Hairdressers are usually expensive as f**k and you need an appointment in advance, I'd much rather shave my own head than be arsed with any of that shite. I also find that with every year that passes by I give less of a shite what my hair looks like, taking the simpler approach of "as long as I don't look like a hipster or a bam I'm doing fine", so forking out £8 to the barber suits me fine.

Archived