Football Games

The Minertaur

In one of the other topics here the conversation has shifted towards Subbuteo and other football related games that we all used to play as kids (and some as adults no doubt).  What was your childhood football game?

For me it was this -

Image result for total action football board game

Used to have to get my Mum to try and iron the creases out of the pitch before playing games against my brother.  You had to push down on the players head and the ball would fly off in whatever direction it was facing.  Used to cause huge fights between my brother and i!

I also used to use the Shoot League Ladders to have a massive cup competition using a dice to work out the scores.  Obviously the drawing of the rounds was the most exciting part with regular big ties such as Oldham v Kilmarnock or Forfar v Chelsea. Somehow or another the Cowdenbeath one would always end up with a mark on the back and they'd get all the exciting draws and to quite well.  They were probably the most successful club in the British Cup. If a 6 was rolled this would could as 0.

Image result for shoot league ladders

Image result for microstars

Used to collect these wee things. You could buy them in packets of one, two or three from some shops. They had ratings for their passing and shooting etc but my mate and I just set them up in teams and set up our own leagues. I reckon we had over 600 between us by the time we stopped collecting/playing with them. 

I used to have a 2 - one was a metallic table top thingy where the players were on little springs, but the players were in slight dips on the playing surface so a well placed shot could be swerved round players (sometimes more than one, first left then right then left again, which was amusing) and the other was the Tomy (I think) one with the batteries where you had maybe 6 or 7 a side? The players were on sliders down each side (red on one, blue on the other) and the pitch was like a green felt thing. Was good fun if a little baby-ish. Had Subbuteo too but was never any good at it.

38 minutes ago, The Minertaur said:

In one of the other topics here the conversation has shifted towards Subbuteo and other football related games that we all used to play as kids (and some as adults no doubt).  What was your childhood football game?

For me it was this -

Image result for total action football board game

Used to have to get my Mum to try and iron the creases out of the pitch before playing games against my brother.  You had to push down on the players head and the ball would fly off in whatever direction it was facing.  Used to cause huge fights between my brother and i!

I also used to use the Shoot League Ladders to have a massive cup competition using a dice to work out the scores.  Obviously the drawing of the rounds was the most exciting part with regular big ties such as Oldham v Kilmarnock or Forfar v Chelsea. Somehow or another the Cowdenbeath one would always end up with a mark on the back and they'd get all the exciting draws and to quite well.  They were probably the most successful club in the British Cup. If a 6 was rolled this would could as 0.

Image result for shoot league ladders

what a game, loved that.

was better than subuteo

39 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Proud inheritor of these bad boys...

pic1065446.png360_93e71e1c7fe5760af8a0c4213367ad83.jpg

ballo.jpgballo2.jpg

7170c573a9cfd65cc48572468a56ff62--toys--blow_soccer.jpg

My brother had a newer version of the magnetic game. He won a competition and we had to go to John Menzies in paisley to get it. There were loads of prizes being handed out by St Mirren legend Campbell Money and my brother somehow ended up with the biggest and most unwieldy one to lug home.

This was the game I received for Christmas when I was 8. The players kicked the ball when you pushed their heads, which I generally did with my palm in order to achieve the fiercest shot. I remember one head eventually came loose and I speared my hand on the protruding wire.

19b05d6c413c484745d159c7bbb62d45.jpg

6 hours ago, The Nightfly said:

This was the game I received for Christmas when I was 8. The players kicked the ball when you pushed their heads, which I generally did with my palm in order to achieve the fiercest shot. I remember one head eventually came loose and I speared my hand on the protruding wire.

19b05d6c413c484745d159c7bbb62d45.jpg

Yep I had that as well.

One team with red strips and the other in black and white.

Handy for a Beith Juniors supporter like myself.

Just scouring the internet to see if I can see any other games that I played. The first is a game that I had forgotten about while the rest are others I stumbled across.

Pict7533.jpg

Pict7553.jpg

Image result for premier table soccer 2000

Action Games ~ Grand Slam Football Game  ~ Mid 1970's

Action Games ~ Grand Slam Football Game  ~ Mid 1970's

Pict7002.jpg

Pict7004.jpg

Pic10415.jpg

I would have absolutely loved to have owned striker as a kid because....

Pic10407.jpg Pic10418.jpg

An actual scoreboard.  Fantastic.

Archived