Montrose v Elgin

A win here would be brilliant and the way we are playing fully expect us to do so.Elgin will be 10 times better than the English mob last week so any kind of win I would take......2-0 the mo a goal in each half.

Safe travels to all making the trip down from Elgin. I suppose by now it's probably too late to travel by train, so hope your gritters have done the business and that everything will be okay for your journey here and back up north.

(Just to clarify, that by here I didn't mean Vientiane, Lao People's Democratic Republic, I mean Links Park, Montrose, Angus, Scotland.)

Couldn't make it to the game today but on edge all afternoon, mostly in the car without updates. Elgin have been a bit of a bogey team in recent times so a great result today for the Mo. Bit of a gap opened up now but I'd rather have the points in the bag than games in hand which have to be played midweek probably. Another clean sheet as well.

Although I missed the game it looks to me from our line up that we played a similar formation as last week. Masson and Redman in the inside forward positions in support of the front two and snapping up the second balls - both scored as well. With Steeves and Ballantyne marauding down the wing back positions tirelessly it's putting loads of pressure on opposition teams and pushing them back. That means territorial advantage - terrtitorial advantage means more likelihood of goals - and it's working.

The Mo are on the march - would like to see the crowds coming back to at least the 600 mark as the players, the manager and the Board deserve it.

Comfortable win in the end, though we should have put ourselves further than 1-0 up at HT, and thus left the door open with another slow start after the break. Penalty was well saved and sapped some energy from the opposition from there on in - Elgin looked okay but were nowhere near the level of performance from the September game at BB.  The SpongeBob attired keeper had a shocker, letting the second dribble in past his paws and looking a bit silly for the third.

The difference between this team from last year to now is a thing of joy TBH : workrate, effort, skill, purpose, etc, almost every aspect has moved forward since Petrie took charge. Not getting carried away yet -  long way from the finish line, and there's two very sticky fixtures next. 2/3 points from them would be would be okay, 4 very handy, 6 bloody brilliant. 

In short:

nZy1WP.gif

So my unbiased view was nothing really between the teams up until Elgin missed a dubious penalty then after that only one team in it, thought Montrose no24 was excellent but sorry big Sanny needs to give up, having watched him at Brechin in his prime it was not easy to watch. I really hope that Monrose win the league, the board at Montrose have put a lot of work in to build up the club to a real community club, a model for others to follow. Only downside for me yesterday were the few absolute wallopers behind the Elgin goal second half  spouting 1970's style shite patter towards the Elgin keeper and to a small band of passing Elgin fans, it was truly cringworthy and embarrassing. We have some belters at Brechin but these throwbacks are miles ahead or behind however you look at it ( keep in mind these are so called grown men not youngsters)

Awful drive down with the obligatory traffic jam in Aberdeen. Montrose looked pretty good and even Templeman looked a lot fitter than in the past few seasons when he's just just been a big lump of a target man. Best team won however if we could just stop f*&King about in front of goal and shoot then we may pick up more points. We're about where I'd hoped without Shane Sutherland but I'd hoped to see him playing by now. If we can keep ourselves around the playoffs then Shane coming back may make a huge difference. The absolute tossers in the stand second half are a disgrace to football. Pathetic throwback mutants and if I'd had my kid at the game I think I'd have taken him out. Hope they were a couple of pissed up no-marks that don't reflect on the rest of the supporters.

Wasn't at the game yesterday as I had a function to attend.
However, a word of warning for More fans. I was in the company of a guy who is a regular Pars fan. They are getting very disgruntled at their form of lately. There are murmurs of a change of management and Stewart Petrie is the name being branded about.

14 hours ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

The absolute tossers in the stand second half are a disgrace to football. Pathetic throwback mutants and if I'd had my kid at the game I think I'd have taken him out. Hope they were a couple of pissed up no-marks that don't reflect on the rest of the supporters.

Sorry about that. I couldn't make the game on Saturday but Mo fans aren't usually like that. My guess is it was a few guys with a bit of alcohol fuelling - shouldn't happen though

14 hours ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

Awful drive down with the obligatory traffic jam in Aberdeen. Montrose looked pretty good and even Templeman looked a lot fitter than in the past few seasons when he's just just been a big lump of a target man. Best team won however if we could just stop f*&King about in front of goal and shoot then we may pick up more points. We're about where I'd hoped without Shane Sutherland but I'd hoped to see him playing by now. If we can keep ourselves around the playoffs then Shane coming back may make a huge difference. The absolute tossers in the stand second half are a disgrace to football. Pathetic throwback mutants and if I'd had my kid at the game I think I'd have taken him out. Hope they were a couple of pissed up no-marks that don't reflect on the rest of the supporters.

The keeper getting a pile of abuse is from our last 2 visits to Borough Briggs and he has decided to launch water bottles at kids behind the goal.  Yes it was particularly pleasing that he had a nightmare on Saturday.

As for some of the shouts to the Elgin fans when they are coming round taunting the home fans with w****r signs and calling anyone everyone a c**t then unfortunately some of the home supporters will react and shout some abuse back.  This follows on from their Neanderthal behaviour at homes games where they have shouted abuse at Away Supporters some as young as 8 and think it’s all great fun. 

Generally speaking in regards Away goalkeepers we have a good bit of banter with them throughout the seasons and when they play for various clubs, as said the past 2 games antics from the Elgin keeper saw sections of the home support giving him some abuse.

On 17/12/2017 at 06:42, Best Team in Angus said:

So my unbiased view was nothing really between the teams up until Elgin missed a dubious penalty then after that only one team in it, thought Montrose no24 was excellent but sorry big Sanny needs to give up, having watched him at Brechin in his prime it was not easy to watch. I really hope that Monrose win the league, the board at Montrose have put a lot of work in to build up the club to a real community club, a model for others to follow. Only downside for me yesterday were the few absolute wallopers behind the Elgin goal second half  spouting 1970's style shite patter towards the Elgin keeper and to a small band of passing Elgin fans, it was truly cringworthy and embarrassing. We have some belters at Brechin but these throwbacks are miles ahead or behind however you look at it ( keep in mind these are so called grown men not youngsters)

Being behind the goal the abuse and hand gestures towards some home supporters who were around the 12/13 year old mark saw some of the home fans provoked in to reacting.

Archived