West Region Cup Committee

archieb

Matt Bamford (President)
Scott Robertson (General Secretary)
John Boal (Beith, Super Premier)
Gordon Anderson (Maryhill, Super First)
John Dalton (Whitletts Victoria, Ayrshire District)
Robert Watson (Wishaw, Central First)
Peter Higgins (Royal Albert, Central Second)

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The west region has set up this committee to look into possible changes to Cup Competitions following reorganisation of the leagues after the end of this season.

These are the people selected to take part - including one representative from each of the existing divisions - who, I presume, are expected to consult with the other clubs in their division.

No remit for the group has been issued afaik so what opportunities other interested parties will have to give their input remains to be seen ....

With the increase in league games next season the status quo isn't an option..

Either scrap the Sectional entirely or make it an early season midweek knockout. Can see some resistance to this though from some sides who still see their biggest gates of the season against bigger sides in the current format.

This one's SJFA- wide, but scrap Junior Cup replays - straight to penalties after 90 mins.

Local cups contested March onwards by lower division sides who tend to finish their seasons earlier - a chance to win silverware along the lines of the Challenge Cup?

I only know two of the people on that committee personally, but if Matt Bamford and John Boal are involved then I am confident of a sensible proposal coming from the result of the discussions by this committee. It's good to see that some forward thinking is taking place on this matter, as the status quo simply cannot be an option.

I will be sending an e-mail out to all the clubs in the Second divisions to get their thoughts and ideas on the best way to move forward .

As said earlier with the extra league games should we scrap the sectional league cup and start  straight away into the league campaign,  but there are teams who like this because it brings much needed revenue into their clubs at the start of the season.

The Central Cup could be revised as a divisional cup played at the end of the seasons between the teams in the lower leagues as most will be out of the Scottish and West. it will also give the lower league clubs a chance of winning silverware, as already said by Hillonearth earlier.

Hopefully all clubs will participate in this and get their thoughts heard.

I only know two of the people on that committee personally, but if Matt Bamford and John Boal are involved then I am confident of a sensible proposal coming from the result of the discussions by this committee. It's good to see that some forward thinking is taking place on this matter, as the status quo simply cannot be an option.

Matt Bamford (President)
Scott Robertson (General Secretary)
John Boal (Beith, Super Premier)
Gordon Anderson (Maryhill, Super First)
John Dalton (Whitletts Victoria, Ayrshire District)
Robert Watson (Wishaw, Central First)
Peter Higgins (Royal Albert, Central Second)

That’s a fantastic selection of guys. Not got an easy task, but wish them all the best & sure some sensible proposals will come out of it.

33 minutes ago, wintonfan said:

Scrap the sectional cups altogether, start with league games, keep the ayrshire cup and its central equivalent. Scottish ties straight to penalties if level at 90 minutes. For clubs who have devils lanterns schedule midweek games.

Remember that this is a West Region working committee. They will not be able to make any decisions over the format of the national competition run by the SJFA.

7 hours ago, Troon Portland said:

Scott Robertson West Region General Secretary + another 6 to nod his proposal through.

That’s a fantastic selection of guys. Not got an easy task, but wish them all the best & sure some sensible proposals will come out of it.

A fantastic selection?  Who made the selection? Were clubs asked to nomimate a committee member?

Will turkeys vote for Xmas?  Will it be four games a week for some clubs in the final weeks of the season? We need to know.

Have to disagree with Scottish ties going straight to penalties if scores are level after 90 minutes. It is a great achievement to get a draw in a Scottish tie and the away team will have earned the right to a replay on their own patch. Alternatively if only 1 match , 1 team park the bus ( a la Mourinho) and hope to pinch it on penalties. No Thanks

Disagree with Scottish ties going to pens , don't play Scottish ties in Winter and you will see a massive difference. Sectional cup has to go utter waste of time. Ayrshire Cup is not the original Challenge Cup and there is no Ayrshire region so  don't care if it goes. Scottish and 30 match league campaign plus maybe West of Scotland ( if it's organised well enough ) is a decent enough treble. 

Scottish cup can't go straight to penalties , I know the final did but that was at a neutral venue , a huge part of the Scottish cup is the right of earning a replay if youre drawn away in the first game , looking at that committee and can only say that them guys will do a good job , know three of the people listed and they aren't only good for their own clubs but they are genuinely interested in the well being of junior football , it's good that this has been set up for me and the governing body are communicating with people from clubs hence this committee , going to be interesting next season and I think the ardagh cup should be optional with it maybe being split into two or three instalments over the course of the season , the club's who don't want to play in it can focus on other games and thinking radically the so called smaller teams could be out of the west / Scottish anyway which would free up fixtures for them to play in the ardagh / central equivalent

At least give us a chance before you start having a go at us.

I know that Robert Maxwell and Gordon Anderson are not yes men as you have alluded to, and I include myself in that also.

As you can see from the people above there a lot of pros and cons for each suggestion,  which in itself is a good thing it means clubs can have there say, coming on here and slagging it of before it even starts gets us no where.

13 minutes ago, Mr.Albert said:

At least give us a chance before you start having a go at us.

I know that Robert Maxwell and Gordon Anderson are not yes men as you have alluded to, and I include myself in that also.

As you can see from the people above there a lot of pros and cons for each suggestion,  which in itself is a good thing it means clubs can have there say, coming on here and slagging it of before it even starts gets us no where.

Robert Maxwell? Hope they're not meeting on a boat :)

Robert-Maxwell-1.jpg

Archived