Dundee vs Partick Thistle.

38 minutes ago, Rednyella said:

Archie isn’t getting the sack.

I've asked this before and never really had a proper answer; Why does Archibald seem to have a significant majority of Jags fans willing to insist that he won't get the sack, even if the team gets relegated/goes 20 games without winning etc ?

Serious question, it appears to be only a tiny number of Jags fans that post here that countenance getting rid of him.

• Replies 202
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, Spikethedee said:

I've asked this before and never really had a proper answer; Why does Archibald seem to have a significant majority of Jags fans willing to insist that he won't get the sack, even if the team gets relegated/goes 20 games without winning etc ?

Serious question, it appears to be only a tiny number of Jags fans that post here that countenance getting rid of him.

I'm sure someone else will give you a better answer than this but in a nutshell..

Made his pro debut with us an 18yr old, longest serving player, struggling to think of many stinkers he had as a player

As a manager he has us playing attractive football most of the time, is literally "one of us",  and a lot of us shudder as we remember the Gerry Collins, Britton+Whyte and Dick Campbell eras so know it could be sooo much worse

I'm sure someone else will give you a better answer than this but in a nutshell..
Made his pro debut with us an 18yr old, longest serving player, struggling to think of many stinkers he had as a player
As a manager he has us playing attractive football most of the time, is literally "one of us",  and a lot of us shudder as we remember the Gerry Collins, Britton+Whyte and Dick Campbell eras so know it could be sooo much worse

Barry Smith didn't get that patience with Dundee despite literally saving the club from going out of existence so it's hard to understand the loyalty.

2 hours ago, Spikethedee said:

2 hours ago, cilitbang said:

Agree with cilitbang. Also think our promotion season has a lot to do with him being in credit at the Goodwill Bank. When Ratnamara left for bigger things (:lol:), we were a decent First Division side but our away form was dreadful. Archie stepped up and we never looked back. We had many postponed games over the winter and had to catch Morton by playing twice a week for ages. There was much drama along the way. It was obvious that the team under Archie were right up for it. It was the most thrilling adventure for players and fans. There was a real buzz around the club. Archie finished the season unbeaten. Nobody associated with the club will soon forget that amazing 5 months.

Incidentally, our starting line up last night was the first to include none of the championship side of 12/13. Perhaps Archie is about to lead is on to another adventure. Strap yourselves in.

Cilitbang is spot on with his comments. Sacking managers at Firhill has never gone well for us. Also Archie by getting us promoted and a top six, our highest position in over 30 years, even if we do go down deserves in my opinion a chance to rebuild. I make the comparison to how Burnley have treated Sean Dyche. Loyalty goes both ways and club boards forget that. Archie genuinely loves the club and bleeds red and yellow. Due to his achievements in my book he’s equaled Lambie. Whilst we can be overly critical and miserable b*****ds as a fan base I don’t think we’re as fickle a support as many clubs who have more gaffers come in the door than Kris Commons has had Parkhead scotch pies.
We fail. We do it together. I think many Jags fans see that we have a better chance long term with that view point. #inarchiewetrust
Of course we don’t all think this way.

11 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

Barry Smith didn't get that patience with Dundee despite literally saving the club from going out of existence so it's hard to understand the loyalty.

Think Ludo's undoubted loyalty to Barry Smith is being stretched to the limit with this laughable claim, unless Smith is an anonymous millionaire or better still was moonlighting as an administrator with an in solvency company then Ludo's claims are a figment of his imagination. 

There is nothing to prevent a fan from showering a player/ manager with adulation, but to make out that an employee of the club literally saved the club from extinction is complete and utter madness unless he meets either of the criteria mentioned previously.

11 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

I think that says more about Dundee than Thistle.

Our dreadful financial history coupled with boards changing faster than the seasons has added to panic and a general lack of stability.

We also suffer from the memory of the halcyon days of the 50s and 60s. (Which I am too young to remember , but my late dad was always telling me about)

Loads of our support are similar I guess in that we have experienced these great days but only second hand,

I remember before p&b arguing on Dundee Mad about the sense behind “splashing the cash” and so on less than 3 years after coming out of admin, and the counter argument was “i dinna care, I’m fed up hearing about aw this from my auld man. I just want what he had.”

20 minutes ago, dd23 said:

Our dreadful financial history coupled with boards changing faster than the seasons has added to panic and a general lack of stability.

We also suffer from the memory of the halcyon days of the 50s and 60s. (Which I am too young to remember , but my late dad was always telling me about)

Loads of our support are similar I guess in that we have experienced these great days but only second hand,

I remember before p&b arguing on Dundee Mad about the sense behind “splashing the cash” and so on less than 3 years after coming out of admin, and the counter argument was “i dinna care, I’m fed up hearing about aw this from my auld man. I just want what he had.”

^^^ good post.

B We have a board (and I think a fanbase) that see the bigger picture. Archibald has been a significant part of the huge progress we have made as a club in the last 5 years on and off the park. I think sacking him is a bigger risk to our long term progress than keeping him. 

He has his flaws but he's also our most successful manager since the early 70s. I think the recent memories of how unbelievably shite we have been also helps. That and we're not as fickle as Hamilton fans.  

14 hours ago, Spikethedee said:

He's pretty much done everything required of him.    Even relegation wouldn't be the disaster it might once have been.

The club are not only free of debt but actually in profit.     Most of the players we'd like to keep are on fairly long term contracts , our development squads are in good order and seen to be showing the improvement we'd hope for and work should begin on the new training facilities in the near future.

He's made mistakes but generally he's learned from them.      The best manager in the world would struggle to cope with the decimation of our midfield.     It's happened and were still in touch.

Think hes gotThe full support of the support and more importantly the board.

5 hours ago, Ad Lib said:

I think that says more about Dundee than Thistle.

Undoubtedly, but there's not a club in the land that would give a manager the full season AND the next after getting relegated when they finished top 6 the season prior. It'd be foolish for the board to keep him on if relegated. ETA: Equally, the fanbase will turn if it doesn't improve (And it may well do as I expect you to be off the bottom by close of play Saturday).

4 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Undoubtedly, but there's not a club in the land that would give a manager the full season AND the next after getting relegated when they finished top 6 the season prior. It'd be foolish for the board to keep him on if relegated. ETA: Equally, the fanbase will turn if it doesn't improve (And it may well do as I expect you to be off the bottom by close of play Saturday).

I think a lot of people are reserving judgement just now or are happy to wait and see what happens when all our injured players return. Whenever that might be. So not like we are blindly putting faith in someone through a poor season. I wouldn't be surprised that if the poor performances continue with a full compliment of players, that he might be offski. 

My own stance at the moment (which has, tbh, varied a bit over the last few years, albeit it's never quite hit the point where I can't be arsed attending matches. Which is to be expected in fairness - had Motherwell completed their comeback at Firhill after the 5-1 shitshow at Killie in all likelihood I'd be saying something completely different, since managers have been sacked for far less than a 5-1 hammering followed up by a home collapse from 3-0 up) is that he's done enough to be given the January window to fix the season; iirc we were in a dire position a few seasons back, particularly with a horrific home record, but he brought in a few players in the January window (most notably Lyle Taylor) and we were able to scramble enough points to be safe.

39 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

In all honesty, I think you need to keep in mind that you lot are the most OTT reactionary fans on here. It's literaly lose a game and you have people wanting blood, win a game and you'll let the manager and team raw dog you.

In all honesty, I think you need to keep in mind that you lot are the most OTT reactionary fans on here. It's literaly lose a game and you have people wanting blood, win a game and you'll let the manager and team raw dog you.

This is pretty much it. Not necessarily the fans on here but our fans base as a whole.

our list of honours won over the years has created this 'only a win is acceptable' attitude...

Archived