Queens v Dundee United

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The stick Mercer gets is beyond ridiculous and completely without merit. He’s a better option than Rooney in my opinion.

I wouldn't give the guy stick at the game as it's not productive. I do have a huge amount of sympathy for the boy as he's just not good enough for this level. Rooney isn't any better at defending but isn't too bad going forward. I'd be happy to see both leave in the summer though.

39 minutes ago, palmy_cammy said:

The stick Mercer gets is beyond ridiculous and completely without merit. He’s a better option than Rooney in my opinion.

What kind of stuff do people shout at him?

9 minutes ago, Flash said:

What kind of stuff do people shout at him?

They shout that he doesn't give a f**k about the club, and only cares about the money!!!

Like some kind of Mercernary......

Sorry........ I'll get my coat.... :(:(:(

Personally I think Rooney is a much better footballer than Mercer. Unfortunately when defending he makes rash decisions that usually end in tears. He has pace so no reason why he can't just get himself goalside and "jockey" - if he did that and avoided the daft stuff he would be a decent asset.

He has scored 3 goals from a handful of appearances and I can think of a number of other good passages of play where he has nearly added to his tally.An ability to score goals from RB is a huge asset especially when our central midfielders repeatedly draw a blank.I definitely think there is a player in there but if he keeps making the same defensive lapses then he is destined to be overlooked. He could potentially play wide right midfield but if he responded to good coaching he should easily be able to make the RB berth his own.

Mercer knows his limitations and plays accordingly - did ok on Sat and now has a chance to prove a few wrong ( including me).

Enjoy visits to Dumfries, a lovely town centre with the river running through: very pleasant on a sunny day.

Unfortunately, my transport is booked in to a club outside the centre, but I'm sure it'll be a good day. 

And I expect us to score at least a couple of goals, so it'll be down to the defence to keep them out.

10 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

Have decided against making the 7 hour plus round trip for this but kudos to any Arabs who do.

May have a run down in April if we’re still in contention for the title.

7 hour plus round trip?

How far into darkest Angus do you live?

16 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:

Personally I think Rooney is a much better footballer than Mercer. Unfortunately when defending he makes rash decisions that usually end in tears. He has pace so no reason why he can't just get himself goalside and "jockey" - if he did that and avoided the daft stuff he would be a decent asset.

He has scored 3 goals from a handful of appearances and I can think of a number of other good passages of play where he has nearly added to his tally.An ability to score goals from RB is a huge asset especially when our central midfielders repeatedly draw a blank.I definitely think there is a player in there but if he keeps making the same defensive lapses then he is destined to be overlooked. He could potentially play wide right midfield but if he responded to good coaching he should easily be able to make the RB berth his own.

Mercer knows his limitations and plays accordingly - did ok on Sat and now has a chance to prove a few wrong ( including me).

Rooney with his height and athleticism reminds me of Kevin Holt, who lets not forget was very raw when he first broke into our first team.  The difference is that Holt was excellent at recovering from his mistakes, usually with a last ditch tackle that he had no right to get to.  Rooney's positional sense is awful, sometimes to the point you wonder if he has played the position before!  In the games I have seen, when Rooney has made a mistake it either ends up with a goal, or a silly foul in a dangerous area.  The positive aspect to this is that things like positioning can be coached, and he clearly possess a lot of natural ability.  You would hope a former international full-back would be the perfect man to do this.

Mercer is a much more back-to-basics style player who gets his head down and does the job.  With a consistent run of games I could see him become the sort of player that you never really notice, but who puts in 7/10 performances most weeks.  To write him off after one bad game where he was up against probably the best player in the league seems unfair.  Nearly all of the squad have had at least one equally bad performance, and I'm not seeing comments about them not being good enough for the league.

Longer term it would be good to see Rooney as our first choice because of the attacking threat he provides.  Perhaps he could be the key to unlocking the stuffier teams that we have struggled against.  For the moment I'd prefer the reliability of Mercer.

2 hours ago, palmy_cammy said:

Rooney with his height and athleticism reminds me of Kevin Holt, who lets not forget was very raw when he first broke into our first team.  The difference is that Holt was excellent at recovering from his mistakes, usually with a last ditch tackle that he had no right to get to.  Rooney's positional sense is awful, sometimes to the point you wonder if he has played the position before!  In the games I have seen, when Rooney has made a mistake it either ends up with a goal, or a silly foul in a dangerous area.  The positive aspect to this is that things like positioning can be coached, and he clearly possess a lot of natural ability.  You would hope a former international full-back would be the perfect man to do this.

Mercer is a much more back-to-basics style player who gets his head down and does the job.  With a consistent run of games I could see him become the sort of player that you never really notice, but who puts in 7/10 performances most weeks.  To write him off after one bad game where he was up against probably the best player in the league seems unfair.  Nearly all of the squad have had at least one equally bad performance, and I'm not seeing comments about them not being good enough for the league.

Longer term it would be good to see Rooney as our first choice because of the attacking threat he provides.  Perhaps he could be the key to unlocking the stuffier teams that we have struggled against.  For the moment I'd prefer the reliability of Mercer.

Well put, I agree with this.

10 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

7 hour plus round trip?

How far into darkest Angus do you live?

Just outside Dundee.  Google saying just over 3 hours; I was sure that when I looked previously it was 3.5+.

Even 3 hours each way is a bit much tbh.

Archived