Queens v Dundee United

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really feel for those United fans for a wasted day. The first half they were terrific and their play at times was a joy to watch with King pulling the strings. We looked a threat on the break though and their defence still looks abit fragile. Was really enjoying the game and dont even think it occured to anyone that there was a remote possibility of the game being in danger. Noone was running cautiously and there didn't seem to be any loss of freedom of movement for anyone.  Brownlies tackle looked very rash! Borderline red? Maybe as SD says he slipped and that impacted upon his decision. That is only untoward incident of the entire first half, but Dykes was slipping all over the place in far colder conditions at Dunfermline last week yet that game continued.

Can see both sides regarding charging. Some season ticket holders will begrudge paying to get in when they have already spent big on their season long commitment, but then the club could claim they were getting 18 and a half games should they give free entry. Most likely outcome is a £10 entry fee for everyone, which may well benefit the club should we get a half decent attendance. 

5 hours ago, football maniac said:

Really feel for those United fans for a wasted day. The first half they were terrific and their play at times was a joy to watch with King pulling the strings. We looked a threat on the break though and their defence still looks abit fragile. Was really enjoying the game and dont even think it occured to anyone that there was a remote possibility of the game being in danger. Noone was running cautiously and there didn't seem to be any loss of freedom of movement for anyone.  Brownlies tackle looked very rash! Borderline red? Maybe as SD says he slipped and that impacted upon his decision. That is only untoward incident of the entire first half, but Dykes was slipping all over the place in far colder conditions at Dunfermline last week yet that game continued.

Can see both sides regarding charging. Some season ticket holders will begrudge paying to get in when they have already spent big on their season long commitment, but then the club could claim they were getting 18 and a half games should they give free entry. Most likely outcome is a £10 entry fee for everyone, which may well benefit the club should we get a half decent attendance. 

Fair assessment fm, although I would expect the attendance to be well down in the rearranged match. Mid-week in Winter for Utd fans.

Disappointing out come for all yesterday.

Seems the importance of the match is a consideration in whether or not it should be abandoned. And people pay a lot of money, so prefer for it to stop halfway through, apparently.

I’m not one to defend referees but are people really suggesting Craig Thomson had an ulterior motive?

The safety of the players is paramount, everything else is secondary.

Given Queens put 5 past Dunfermline in the previous game I’m delighted that we hardly gave them a sniff whilst pilots no pressure on st the other end.

10 hours ago, Cardinal Richelieu said:

Yes. Accumulating your inconveniences with a complete stranger is a great way of proving your point. 

Not attempting to prove anything other than a significant number of QoS fans do not live locally. Conversation came occurred long before abandonment. What’s your problem, apart from supporting Stranraer?

BBC website apparently unable to give a match report because the match was abandoned.  We actually played 45 minutes you arseholes.

When we get independence we should kick all these c***s into touch.

Not defending the referee particularly but have now watched all the post match interviews and it seems like the concerns regarding the pitch surface “changing” came from the players. He’s then gone out and confirmed it’s changed. If he’s gone against the players and kept going then he’s liable for any injuries so I think they’ve left him little choice under the circumstances.

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Darren Brownlie got himself booked for a foul on Robson (I think) not long before the interval that the United players were pretty annoyed about and I don't know if that challenge was one where he said he'd slipped? That might have been a factor.

That's the only real explanation that I can think of.

I can't think of any other possible occasions when players were slipping and falling.  It wouldn't surprise me if Brownlie was pleading having slipped, in mitigation for what looked a fairly crazy lunge.  Maybe slipping was genuinely a factor, but I'm pretty certain I've seen matches played to a conclusion before, despite players having fallen over.  

It had not once entered my head that this match might be in trouble.  I still can't quite get my head round it being abandoned in such circumstances.  Thomson still has explaining to do.

No, but it does count towards his season total (so makes him one closer to the totting up suspension)

Aye that's what I meant, just worded badly as usual. That's a bit harsh is it not? Had Dobbie scored it wouldn't have went towards his goal tally and pretty much ever other stat will be void so why is it bookings count?

11 minutes ago, die hard doonhamer said:

No, but it does count towards his season total (so makes him one closer to the totting up suspension)

You sure? I thought that rule was changed a couple of years ago so that bookings were wiped on abandoned games (though red cards still count). I'll see if I can confirm.

EDIT -

Disciplinary Procedures for Players section 1, paragraph 1.7:
"Any cautions reported in a match that is abandoned or declared void shall not apply except where the match is abandoned or declared void due to player misconduct."

(Rule 1.6 confirms that any sending off DOES still apply however.)

34 minutes ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Unless you have a ref with a bit of common sense and the balls not to listen to the persistent whine of Scott McDonald. 

You watch John Rankin’s interview then make a stupid comment like that.  Are you trying to be a Dundee fan?

3 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

That's the only real explanation that I can think of.

I can't think of any other possible occasions when players were slipping and falling.  It wouldn't surprise me if Brownlie was pleading having slipped, in mitigation for what looked a fairly crazy lunge.  Maybe slipping was genuinely a factor, but I'm pretty certain I've seen matches played to a conclusion before, despite players having fallen over.  

It had not once entered my head that this match might be in trouble.  I still can't quite get my head round it being abandoned in such circumstances.  Thomson still has explaining to do.

I will give the ref credit for acknowledging some players had concerns but I still believe he was wrong to abandon the match when he did. Has he ever reffed a game in the rain?

Archived