Queens v Dundee United

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I don't think anyone's overplaying it to be honest.  

It was thoroughly bizarre and people are saying so on a thread dedicated to the match on a football website.

Were we harping on about it in a discussion devoted to poverty, starvation or disease, that might indeed seem somewhat trivial and inappropriate.  But we're not.

People just need to be a wee bit more laid back like me.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s folk starving in the world, there’s folk that have debilitating diseases, there’s folk in this country in 2017 living in abject poverty.

Stop fucking moaning because a football game was abandoned at half time.

There are other websites for these heart-rending appeals. Don’t assume that people who discuss football matters on a football board don’t care / give to charities. 

The statement on our OS is also distancing the club from the decision and how it was reached.

My opinion for what it's worth is that every attempt should be made to finish a game after it has started. Only in very extreme circumstances should an abandonment take place. I don't honestly think that by any stretch of imagination the conditions today warranted the Ref's decision.

Let's be clear he got away with it because it was 0-0. If either side had been winning at HT there would have been an outcry and I don't think Thomson would have taken it any further. In reality though the HT score should make no difference - it is either dangerous and unplayable or it isn't.

There are some abandonments which are glaringly obvious - this wasn't one of them.

I think SD may be right in suggesting that the players who spoke to him were seeking clemency for sliding into challenges. I don’t believe that the pitch was a) any worse at HT than at the start b) any worse than many a game there played to a conclusion.

There’s folk starving in the world, there’s folk that have debilitating diseases, there’s folk in this country in 2017 living in abject poverty.
Stop fucking moaning because a football game was abandoned at half time.

There is pot noodle available to survive .

3 hours ago, stumigoo said:

I really don't know. I would assume that having 22 players and a referee using the pitch for 45 minutes (plus the pre-match warm up) would suitably wear down the pitch and that if anything the surface would improve, not deteriorate. 

The 4G pitch at St Andrews (which Utd train on) is the same (or very similar) surface to the one at Palmerston and I've played on that one in sub zero conditions no bother.

Bizzare decision from Craig Thomson

FWIW it also seems that some players are bemused as well

We'll be charging for the replay, probably not full price but we'll be charging. Mid-week under lights for the full duration with before and after lighting, we are a business after all with Billy in charge. 

1 hour ago, calcutta said:

If that pitch was unplayable, then at the first drop of rain any match on a grass pitch should be immediately postponed. Oh wait, the ground gets hard when it's dry., that's no good either.

This.

Was the pitch in perfect condition? No. Neither was Tannadice when we went up there last January after it survived a mid morning pitch inspection though. Pitches rarely are perfect at this time of year, even plastic ones. It was a little slippy but no more so than if it had a fairly decent rain shower during it. Hell up to about the end of September we usually water it to make it slicker!

However, it was not by any stretch of the imagination "frozen". Anyone who walked on it after the game was finished will confirm that the crumb was freely moving. A 3G pitch generally won't freeze until it gets to about -4C and we were still 3C when it was abandoned.  15 miles away Annan started and finished an SPFL match on an older plastic surface.  United had played some terrific fast flowing football on it, especially in the 15 minutes or so before the break and appeared to be coping just fine. Darren Brownlie got himself booked for a foul on Robson (I think) not long before the interval that the United players were pretty annoyed about and I don't know if that challenge was one where he said he'd slipped? That might have been a factor.

Current temperatures at Collin - air minus 1.6C road surface minus 2.6C
Current temperatures at Gretna Green (closer to Solway Firth) air minus 3C road surface minus 3.3C.

Ok, but we’re talking about 4pm here......what were the air/Road/Gretna/Collin temperatures then?

7 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Ok, but we’re talking about 4pm here......what were the air/Road/Gretna/Collin temperatures then?

I didn’t check then. But the point is that it can be colder closer to the Solway than it is further away from it.  Your point was that Annan is milder because it is closer to the Solway and, as those figures illustrated, that isn’t always the case. Far more likely that the temperatures in Dumfries and Annan were broadly similar. 

Note also that Carlisle’s game was completed on a grass pitch. And Accies game, further north and not closer to any coast, was completed on a plastic one.

17 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Temperature at Palmerston at 4 was plus 2, according to thermometer in my car.

Archived