Queens v Dundee United

9 minutes ago, Young gun said:

Never mind this shite about all weather pitches8)

How is the Bairn :thumsup2

The best thing so far about having a baby is that he was the reason I didn't go today. Well done son! 

Everything is spot on so far - exhausting, emotional and life changing but spot on.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, Mustafa_sheet said:

Or lack of it today perhaps! Annan’s closer proximity to the Solway Firth would be my bet!

Current temperatures at Collin - air minus 1.6C road surface minus 2.6C

Current temperatures at Gretna Green (closer to Solway Firth) air minus 3C road surface minus 3.3C.

Very impressed with United today.   Excellent footballing side with pace, movement and quality.  As others have said they should have been at least 2 up at what we though was HT.

We are workmanlike in comparison but tried hard to compete.  We just don't have the quality.

Fyvie orchestrated the midfield and had plenty of willing runners to pick from.

Jacobs did his best to stop them but I thought Rankin was completely out of it both offensively and defensively.    He has been a huge disappointment since joining.

No doubt though, Dykes was the worst today - he just doesn't have it.

As well as being physically lacking he is also mentally lacking -  he doesn't have a 'football brain'.

He just doesn't seem to switch on.    When the keeper spilled it today he should have been anticipating that and been  ready to pounce instead of standing off him.

Time and time again he was caught in possession and what  can you say about the pass to Marshall ?

How he gets  selected week after week is baffling as is the decision to extend his contract.

He brings nothing to the team.

32 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The referee said at half time that several players had told him during the first half that it was slippy but no player afterward reckoned it was unplayable. All the ones I spoke to were astonished he had called it off. They were just looking for a bit of understanding on fouls I think.

The managers were not asked their opinions, they were called in and told. As far as I know neither particularly wanted it off though they accepted the decision without any argument.

The pitch wasnt frozen and isnt frozen now. There was a sheen of light frost forming but it was no slippier than on a wet day.

Sounds bizarre decision, tbh.

2 hours ago, stumigoo said:

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 17.00.54.png

I think it would have been better if Craig Thomson had come out and explained his decision to the supporters of both team before speaking to the press - we left the match without a clue as to why it had been abandoned. I didn't see any one slipping or sliding about in first half and none of the subs seemed to have problems or issues during half time warm up. Dundee Utd didn't seem to be struggling to keep their  feet during their warm down as I was leaving.

Once again stay at home supporters were better informed than those attending a match - it was announced on radio before inside the ground

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

This statement is a total contradiction to the interview given by Ref Craig Thomson - he said that senior players from both teams and both Managers were in agreement with decision.

Not sure if it did us a favour or not - we should have been at least 2-0 down at HT.Certainly if we had reappeared for the second half with the same type of performance it would surely only have been a "matter of time". There again when a team passes up gilt edged chances there is sometimes a heavy price to pay. Still don't understand why Lyndon Dykes has to play as a glorified left back when the opposition threat is a totally one footed left back who is filling in at right back (Tam Scobbie) !!!!!

Hopefully the financial positives regarding the pitch make it all worthwhile because as others have said it has been a bad day for the artificial product today.

Well, it's not really a contradiction. They're just saying that they're disappointed, not that they didn't agree with it.

Disappointed with the call off but heard Craig Thomson’s explanation on the radio and it sounded reasonable.

Thought we played some nice stuff today and totally dominated, though Queens did well and pressed us; they were particularly effective in stopping us playing it out from the back.

Fraser, Fyvie and King all very good, McDonald’s confidence looks shot and was surprised to see Scobbie playing RB ahead of Quinn.  I felt sorry for Tam, he looked really uncomfortable there and I was surprised Queens didn’t try to exploit it more.

I won’t be attending the rearranged fixture despite Monkey Tennis’ kind offer to pick me up then drive me home after the game.  :rolleyes:

35 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

The best thing so far about having a baby is that he was the reason I didn't go today. Well done son! 

Everything is spot on so far - exhausting, emotional and life changing but spot on.

Just wait to your babies have babies mate. Welcome to the rest of your life!

56 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The referee said at half time that several players had told him during the first half that it was slippy but no player afterward reckoned it was unplayable. All the ones I spoke to were astonished he had called it off. They were just looking for a bit of understanding on fouls I think. The managers were not asked their opinions, they were called in and told. As far as I know neither particularly wanted it off though they accepted the decision without any argument.

The pitch wasnt frozen and isnt frozen now. There was a sheen of light frost forming but it was no slippier than on a wet day. Its a pretty baffling decision but its up to the referee ultimately. United were passing the ball well on it and generally well on top. I have seen football played on much worse surfaces recently.

Seriously pissed off, having spent £25 on petrol to go to the game and having handed in my season ticket voucher, I will no doubt be asked to cough up for the rematch ( on a cold Jan / Feb night? - ha ha!). Listened to Craig Thomson’s Explanation to BBC. He said that through the first half players of both sides had been talking to him about the pitch - “senior players”. Scott Macdonald and John Rankin both got a name check. He said that they felt the condition of the pitch had changed during the course of the half.  He responded by going out and spending 5-10 mins with his officials assessing the pitch. They then decided that with falling temperatures it would not get better.( As I drove away the temperature was what it had been as I arrived in Dumfries. I didn’t think the pitch was any slipper than I had seen it before. Does raise the question how  the blazes were players coping on muddy and grass pitches when it was raining all those years gone by.   

37 minutes ago, queenslad said:

Once again stay at home supporters were better informed than those attending a match - it was announced on radio before inside the ground

Yes, the press behind us got the news through and it was announced on Radio Scotland shortly before the tannoy creaked into life.

I still think it was really odd and from what SD's saying, there seems to be a slight mis-match between the version Thomson presented to the media, and the reality.  

There’s folk starving in the world, there’s folk that have debilitating diseases, there’s folk in this country in 2017 living in abject poverty.

Stop fucking moaning because a football game was abandoned at half time.

1 minute ago, Granny Danger said:

There’s folk starving in the world, there’s folk that have debilitating diseases, there’s folk in this country in 2017 living in abject poverty.

Stop fucking moaning because a football game was abandoned at half time.

So you can’t moan about anything because bad stuff is happening elsewhere?

May as well shut this place down then.

Just now, Hughsie said:

So you can’t moan about anything because bad stuff is happening elsewhere?

May as well shut this place down then.

Just get some perspective.  It’s not the end of the world.

5 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

The good news is that by the time this game does get played Scobbie won’t be at RB.   We should be at least be able to get a draw.

FTFY

How’s the wee lad?

3 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

Just get some perspective.  It’s not the end of the world.

I don't think anyone's overplaying it to be honest.  

It was thoroughly bizarre and people are saying so on a thread dedicated to the match on a football website.

Were we harping on about it in a discussion devoted to poverty, starvation or disease, that might indeed seem somewhat trivial and inappropriate.  But we're not.

Archived