Alloa Athletic vs Arbroath

I would be kidding myself to think otherwise but what i would give to have Calum Crane signed permanantly , solid back and  as good as his namesake waters in different ways . he was excellent tonight .

there is no way Jack ross will let Ross stewart go but i would be optomistic of getting jordan kilpatrick back but i hope it Works out for him at the saints !

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The four Alloa goals first half were absolute gifts...mind you they kindly gifted us two dreadful goals second half at the same end. We occasionally threatened to make a game of it, which another goal at certain stages might have achieved. Difficult to know what to make of this performance for either side. Second half Alloa sat back for 20 minutes in their own half, repeating their Gayfield performance but then upped a gear later on and a couple of great saves from a Hutton kept the score vaguely respectable. Their on loan centre half got the better of OBrien first half and looks handy. No idea why McIntosh gave away th3 early penalty stretching high for a handball.

11 minutes ago, farflung lichtie said:

No idea why McIntosh gave away th3 early penalty stretching high for a handball.

Too right that was ridiculous no need for it but our keeper parry kinda made up for it ..that said he is good for us normally . your keeper was excellent . great reflexes !

Alloa Athletic 5-3 Bobby Linn XI

A few observations...

Piss poor defending cost us and pretty much put us out of the game within the first 15 minutes unfortunately. A variety of individual errors with Tam O'Brien having a nightmare of it against Ross Stewart; the first bad game I've seen him play for us.

Everything we created coming forward went through Bobby Linn down the left hand side. He was superb and deserved his goal (although obviously a keeping error) and also got two assists. On the right hand side, Omar didn't manage to beat his man once or get the ball into the box at all and really didn't offer us anything at all going forward or defensively. I've nothing against Omar and like him as a squad player, but tonight and away to Airdrie a few weeks ago he has offered us nothing, and I would consider his performance at Airdrie the worst individual performance of the season. He's obviously a good squad player and one who has contributed assists/ goals throughout his time at the club but based on the last month or two there's no way he should be starting ahead of Bobby Linn, Danny Denholm or David Gold in my opinion.

In the middle of the park, I think we need to have a real look at what each individual player offers us in there and how they play together alongside each other. I don't like to pick on Mark Whatley but in our previous two games I felt we had the upper hand in the midfield, especially against Stranraer where we absolutely dominated in the centre of the pitch and we more than matched full time Raith in there as well with Scott Martin, Blair Yule and Gav Swankie all offering something different and all complimenting each other nicely. This evening, there seemed to be a lot more space in there than our last few games, and I really think Whatley needs to up his game to justify keeping one of the above 3 out of the team in the next few weeks.

Gavin Swankie, for the third game in a row, put in a real shift, used the ball well and in the second half when moved up top was even holding the ball up  well like some sort of target man and again laying it off and moving it about very nicely. We seemed to build some momentum, get it back to 4-2 and be on the front foot a wee bit and suddenly we took him off, all the momentum we'd built up suddenly disappeared and the game petered out from the minute we made the sub. A very frustrating substitution, as mentioned above Omar was struggling bigtime on the day and seemed to be the obvious, logical change to make. I really hope Gav can keep his game at this level till the end of the season; I've been critical of him when he wasn't justifying being picked every week but in the last 3 games he's deserved a lot of praise not just for the on the ball stuff but also  off the ball, his workrate and desire seems to have upped tenfold.

Kader misses a fucking sitter at 0-0. Like a genuine my granny would have done better sitter. Unreal ball into the box from Bobby and Omar somehow manages to hit the ball back the way!Hopeless.Then McIntosh decides to punch the ball in the box when Alloa aim for the man at the back post, which they do again at the next corner and get another goal. Christ knows what happened at the third goal, then McKenna finished a Linn cross to get us back into it...until TOB makes a c**t of getting it back to Hutton. Highlight of my evening definitely the man-child wearing the Russian hat celebrating Alloa scoring a header at the back post, despite it not even going in. Parry made a hash of a Linn shot, we had a few half chances with Hutton making 2 great saves to keep us in it. 5th goal was likely with us pushing forward. Denholm scores a header at the back post getting on the end of another good Linn cross. DC dishes out some baffling team positions and bringing Whatley in for Martin tonight was one of them. Martin is 10 times the player Whatley is, and can actually tackle without giving away stupid fouls. Kader in for Denholm the wrong decision to, as proven by Kader’s 0/10 performance in which he beat his man maybe once. Alloa targeted Hamilton all day and it became even worse when we went to a 4 at the back. Thank Christ I only paid £4 for that ;)

Arbroath have impressed me since getting promotion and look likely to take third in the league but it will be tight , any team that can score 3 goals against a defence that do not concede many can't be bad , considering your promotion and now with  the playoff place almost a given ,you must be happy . linn was excellent tonight like him a lot .

your keeper too is very good . looks very much like the top four is settled almost! .. I find it incredible that you criticise your manager , look what he has done for you , be careful what you wish for !!

I will happily pay £16 to watch a grown man celebrate a cross into the box and a diving header being cleared off the line as if his team had just scored a last minute header. Unreal. Also think this man wants Omar to "go back to Australia"?

Omar misses a sitter and then it is 3-0 all of a sudden. Bobby Linn and David Hutton our stand outs, Kader and Whatley to be dropped for the weekend with martin and denholm coming in.

Aye, it has to be said that it was utterly bizarre how angry some of the Alloa fans were despite their team giving us a pumping. Boy I mentioned above also spent the whole game calling Colin Hamilton an Alloa reject which is weird when I’m sure he rejected a new contract at Alloa to come back to Arbroath.

Two teams going toe to toe. Hopefully the gaffer can now see what we are capable of when he throws caution to the wind. Great value for money tonight. Well done to Arbroath too for making it an open game. Both teams made amends for recent Gayfield shocker

I can see what we’re trying to do with utilising the squad with the amount of games we are cramming in to a short space of time, I’d have preferred Kader and Whatley to have came in against forfar if we were worried about fatigue.

The goals we lost were shambolic, no idea why players give penalties away like the first, Hutton is just a very average goalkeeper, I feel very nervous whenever the ball goes near him or a half decent shot comes in, shocking from O’Brien for the 3rd who looked out of sorts all night.

played some decent stuff going forward and could’ve conceivably been 5-5 if we’d taken chances.

run had to come to an end sometime, a bit of work still to do to make the play offs. 

Yep, good to see some early end to end action and the first goal leading to a really open game. Credit to both teams.

Despite conceding three goals, I thought we defended okay. We maybe invited Arbroath on a bit at times but they do have some good players. Bobby Linn still very decent. Not bothered about the Parry error. Even the best goalkeepers have one of them a season- would rather it happened when we were 4 1 up in a game.

Await the potential stats telling me his successful tackle ratio was 24.3%, and Jim Goodwin covered 156 more blades of artificial grass in the dugout, but I thought big Fleming was outstanding last night. Great to finally see him off the mark as well- think he was getting stick at his work for not scoring. Powerful and aggressive when its required, shifting to neat and tidy in possession.

Arbroath keeper pulled off two wonderful second half stops. Surprised its not been mentioned yet but thats the kind of game it was. 

A great reaction after the Stranraer defeat. 

Ross Stewart reminds me of what Lewis Coult would be like if he could play football.

Also, why was Swankie spending most of the first half playing as the deepest lying midfielder? Utterly bizarre. I actually quite like him in midfield, but having him alone sitting in front of the centre backs is asking for trouble.

9 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Aye, it has to be said that it was utterly bizarre how angry some of the Alloa fans were despite their team giving us a pumping . Boy I mentioned above also spent the whole game calling Colin Hamilton an Alloa reject which is weird when I’m sure he rejected a new contract at Alloa to come back to Arbroath.

No need for that. Hamilton struggled at Alloa initiallyand the Championship was probably a step too far for him at that point, particularly the role Danny Lennon  encouraged him to play at the start of the season. After Jack Ross came in he changed things and Hamilton did much better in the second half of the season,  concentrating on his strengths. Deserves a lot of credit for that and played his part in great results against Hibs and Rangers. Don't think anybody could have a go at him for leaving either as he was likely going to be backup at Alloa had he stayed.

Hopefully Alloa can build on this and nail down the play-off spot. Should really be finishing 3rd with the quality of player we have now. 

Some photographs and GoPro from last night.

First defeat since 23rd December so a good run, but just lots of individual errors.  Very reminiscent of the performance when Albion Rovers pumped us at home. 

Still a very hard to predict league. We thump Stranraer, the following game they beat Alloa, then last night..

Bobby the best player in maroon by a mile.     Parry made a mistake, but still one of the best keepers in the league.  I think McCallum just shades it for me.  

https://www.flickr.com/photos/scotsman_in_hawaii/albums/72157688554038670

IMG_5416 copy.jpg

Archived