Strange Currencies

PB 4.2

One of the financial consequences of getting yourself involved in a relationship that extends beyond casual penetration is holidays to exotic climes.    And with love comes Strange Currencies.   So here is my appeal:   Whats the strangest currency you've used?   Discuss.  

When I went to Jersey, they have their own Jersey pounds there. But it’s not like Scotland where we just print our own banknotes (which also happens in the Eurozone) but it’s actually a completely separate currency pegged to the pound.

2 minutes ago, Rugster said:

A Dundee united fan, can't recall who, claimed to have been paid in 500 pound notes on here. Or something like that. 

Invergowrie Arab.  Invergowries has its own currency that’s linked to the value of raspberries.

It also has its own language and culture.

I use the term ‘culture’ very loosely.

I've visited Macedonia 4 times  now and used the Denar when there- that's a pretty obscure currency. The 50 denar note was quite pretty but it's now a coin:

5a2dc74fbcfc7_50denarnote.jpg.b193b150d82c0b0d5db4410551341ff5.jpg

I first visited 20 years ago and had the Denar equivalent of a 20 quid note. Nobody would accept it as it was too high a denomination. I felt like the man in the film "The Million Pound Note". 

Other weird currencies: simoleons, econs. Apparently simoleon was late 19th C slang for a dollar and there was me thinking they'd made it up for The Sims. 

Think I saw my first £100 note at the supermarket today. Cashier wasn't fazed at all, I would have given it a careful sniff.

We get them fairly regularly in the bookies. You're more likely to see a fake 20 now than a 50 or a 100 because they get inspected much less than the latter.

I've been in Namibia for the past few days where the N$ is pegged 1:1 with the SA Rand. As a result, I've just been firing around using SA notes in every shop without issue and can't help but feel it's absolutely nothing but a post-independence vanity project for them. Understandable though of course.

Don't think it's recognised as an international currency so have to use up any N$ notes (given as change off rand) on beer before I leave as no bureau de change outside of Namibia will touch them.

24 minutes ago, Hedgecutter said:

I've been in Namibia for the past few days where the N$ is pegged 1:1 with the SA Rand. As a result, I've just been firing around using SA notes in every shop without issue and can't help but feel it's absolutely nothing but a post-independence vanity project for them. Understandable though of course.

Don't think it's recognised as an international currency so have to use up any N$ notes (given as change off rand) on beer before I leave as no bureau de change outside of Namibia will touch them.

What's the bus service like?

Archived