The Buddies v Dunfermline

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 hours ago, Poet of the Macabre said:

One of our charming supporters shouted that he wanted the ref to "die in his sleep"

I think he was trying to sound malicious but that sounds pretty much how I'd want to go out tbh.

Sounds fine, as long as the passengers in your car are asleep too, I guess.

It would make absolutely no difference

Just watched the highlights and it absolutely is the difference in the keeper staying on the pitch. Great decision by the ref as Reilly hit the ball wide and keeper was late diving in with his hands. He catches Reilly and not the ball, yellow card.

1 hour ago, Grant228 said:

Apparently our own players convincing the ref not to give us a penalty.

The curse from last season looms large apparently.

Which, if true, makes it baffling why Williamson was booked, he could hardly be accused of simulation if he told the ref he hadn't been fouled. 

1 hour ago, buddie06smfc said:

Just watched the highlights and it absolutely is the difference in the keeper staying on the pitch. Great decision by the ref as Reilly hit the ball wide and keeper was late diving in with his hands. He catches Reilly and not the ball, yellow card.

I've just watched it and if you think it was Reilly that hit the ball 90 degrees to his right rather than the keeper, then Reilly must be as bad as all the Pars fans were telling us at the start of the season.

Which, if true, makes it baffling why Williamson was booked, he could hardly be accused of simulation if he told the ref he hadn't been fouled. 

He threw his leg into Eckersley and himself to the ground and then trudged towards the half way line. All the while Higginbotham has placed the ball down for a penalty. Someone is embarrassed about his attempted dive and is now claiming they owned up to it. Grant has fallen for it.

1 hour ago, Hendo said:

I've seen plenty of players take dives that were so obvious that they then hold up their hands saying it wasn't a foul in the hope of avoiding a booking.

This is slightly different in that he'd been give the award, so he should have probably kept his mouth shut taken the penalty and a risk of a retrospective ban for diving (unlikely to happen given the footage).

For me, aside from the player admitting he wasn't fouled, the reaction of the Saints player just behind Eckersley and Williamson speaks volumes.

4 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Those highlights don't make it any clearer at all. If anything it looks like Murdoch got the ball and Williamson was tripped.

It certainly doesn't add any clarity to the situation that's for sure. (edit: btw, I was under the impression he got the ball, and he was carded for being outside the box while doing it)

I chuckled to myself as the camera panned in for an exorbitant amount of time over the away support, with the commentator giving it, "They don't look happy, they really don't look happy". Not sure how that qualifies as a "key incident" .. :lol:

9 minutes ago, D.A.F.C said:

Those highlights don't make it any clearer at all. If anything it looks like Murdoch got the ball and Williamson was tripped.

Murdoch ABSOLUTELY got the ball.

That's why he should have been sent off.

It amazes me the number of keepers who, after coming charging out the box, still try to use their hands to get the ball. If they don't get the ball, they either foul the player or miss him and he has an open goal - and if they do get the ball they should be getting sent off.

Maybe outfield players should start trying to throw themselves into tackles hand first to put players off.

My take on the incidents is that Murdoch handled the ball outside the area, definitely a red card. Eckersley got a touch on the ball but Williamson didn't dive, should have been a corner. Higginbotham, on the other hand, should have been booked for his woeful attempt at winning a penalty by running into Davis.

Also clear the players knew the ref was incompetent and indecisive by the way both teams put pressure on him, quite funny to look back on. IMO he should never ref a game again, probably best for everyone, especially himself. 

Murdoch does handle it but tbh it looks like he isn't that far out, it would be quite interesting to have an angle in line with it to see exactly where the ball is when he touches it, looks outside the box but it is fairly marginal. Reilly has already turned away from goal before murdoch touches it and Ashcroft is covering I don't think that can be a clear goalscoring opportunity. Since the change in rules refs seem more reluctant to give reds even tho in theory the change doesn't effect anything that happens outside the box.

36 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

1e5ea944bcfb40dbd0afe6044adca5ea.jpg

da3dfcc26f2bc1413a02ddb513c600bc.jpg

Maybe there still photos out there that will show it better, but this as close as I can get before/just after murdoch's touch.

Thanks.

Clear a  red as you can get.

Even if a defender gets back, Reilly is still on on one with someone who can't use their hands.

If that's not a clear goal scoring opportunity I don't know what is.

Archived