The Buddies v Dunfermline

6 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

I'd be in favour of going:

Smith - McManus

Cardle - Shiels - Higgy

Wedderburn - Martin

Ashcroft - M'Voto - Morris

Murdoch

How has Andy Ryan looked? For all intents I'd have said Clark and Ryan would be your first choice forwards this season but neither seem to be regular scorers at all. 

• Replies 352
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

How has Andy Ryan looked? For all intents I'd have said Clark and Ryan would be your first choice forwards this season but neither seem to be regular scorers at all. 

When he plays he scores but the manager doesn't play him and now he's injured. Looks a player in my opinion. 

10 hours ago, TheMessiah said:

I'd be in favour of going:

Smith - McManus

Cardle - Shiels - Higgy

Wedderburn - Martin

Ashcroft - M'Voto - Morris

Murdoch

Oh ya fucker. 

Trying to pick the central midfielders gives me a bit of a headache. Martin should not be in the midfield IMO, but other than that we're very limited. Shiels' natural role is sitting higher up, but his distribution and awareness is normally excellent, so I wouldn't complain with him sitting a bit deeper. Paton has shown to be fairly useful in the middle of midfield, but I don't know how he'd cope in a fairly isolated position. Nat is in very poor form just now, which is very frustrating as he strolled several games early on this season, including the 3-0 against St Mirren at EEP. 

Aird over Higgy at the moment. Clark and McManus up front. I'd rather not see any change to the back 4, Ashcroft, Morris and Williamson have struggled recently but the alternatives (Martin/M'Voto) give me the fear. 

Pars.png

Bizarrely, AJ's team selections have on occasion mirrored what I have posted in jest. This time AJ..

Gill

Williamson M'Voto  Morris  Ashcroft  Paton  Murdoch  Wedderburn  Cardle  Shiels 

Clark

Looking at all the DAFC team posts made me think there's hardly been any discussion on Saints line ups this season.

Mainly I think because at any given time the first 11 has picked itself due to injuries and suspensions.

The odd occasional shout for Sutton to come in, and some debate about what would happen if Baird, Davis and McKenzie were all available, but really very little other than that.

2 minutes ago, Bobby_F said:

Looking at all the DAFC team posts made me think there's hardly been any discussion on Saints line ups this season.

Mainly I think because at any given time the first 11 has picked itself due to injuries and suspensions.

The odd occasional shout for Sutton to come in, and some debate about what would happen if Baird, Davis and McKenzie were all available, but really very little other than that.

Same for Dunfermline until recently. The team has just ticked over and picked itself. 

He's looked good, I like him and would definitely give him more game time.

Think our last two goals from open play have came from Clark.
Oh ya fucker. 

Trying to pick the central midfielders gives me a bit of a headache. Martin should not be in the midfield IMO, but other than that we're very limited. Shiels' natural role is sitting higher up, but his distribution and awareness is normally excellent, so I wouldn't complain with him sitting a bit deeper. Paton has shown to be fairly useful in the middle of midfield, but I don't know how he'd cope in a fairly isolated position. Nat is in very poor form just now, which is very frustrating as he strolled several games early on this season, including the 3-0 against St Mirren at EEP. 
Aird over Higgy at the moment. Clark and McManus up front. I'd rather not see any change to the back 4, Ashcroft, Morris and Williamson have struggled recently but the alternatives (Martin/M'Voto) give me the fear. 

Pars.png.72d8376e5c2953d16e161b8b605554ab.png
Murdoch
Williamson Morris Ashcroft Talbot

Paton Shiels

Aird Higgy Cardle

McManus

Tough on Clark and nat but that team looks mobile and changeable. If we went ahead I would bring on nat for Paton.

Nat and Shiels doesn't work.

A midfield two of Paton and Shiels would get ridiculously overrun, there's not a defensive instinct between them. Any runners from midfield would just stroll through.
M'Voto [emoji38]
Get him the f**k away from the starting line up. He's fucking garbage.
Martin in midfield is also something that should never happen. Ever.
Martin was fine in centre midfield against Livingston, and apparently good against Dundee Utd. And I've barely seen enough of M'voto to see if he's garbage, I reckon he'll have games where he's beneficial, against teams who play direct he'll do, wouldn't play him against St Mirren. Ashcroft did have an absolute howling performance though.

Murdoch

Williamson
Morris
Ashcroft
Talbot

Martin

Shiels
Paton

Aird
Cardle

Clark

7 hours ago, smpar said:

Oh ya fucker. 

Pars.png

'Last Saturday' is all that needs to be said re Shiels coming deep. 

Sandy Clark was at the saints midweek game a couple weeks ago, along with some unrecognisable nobody in a Dunfermline tracksuit. He had quite the rant about ‘Higgy’ as he had been sent off in a recent game and then got hooked during the Morton game as he was at fault for their goal.

All is not well at Dunfermline. Hopefully he’s not playing as he’s a decent player and was the best player on the park against us last time, granted he was up against Stelios.

We’ve been a bit off recently as well so hopefully a decent enough game and we can get back to the way we were playing at home earlier in the season.

2 hours ago, Grant228 said:

He's looked good, I like him and would definitely give him more game time.

Think our last two goals from open play have came from Clark. A midfield two of Paton and Shiels would get ridiculously overrun, there's not a defensive instinct between them. Any runners from midfield would just stroll through. Martin was fine in centre midfield against Livingston, and apparently good against Dundee Utd. And I've barely seen enough of M'voto to see if he's garbage, I reckon he'll have games where he's beneficial, against teams who play direct he'll do, wouldn't play him against St Mirren. Ashcroft did have an absolute howling performance though.

Murdoch

Williamson
Morris
Ashcroft
Talbot

Martin

Shiels
Paton

Aird
Cardle

Clark

Is there any defensive instinct in Martin? Also Nat has been like playing like a man down recently.

Martin cost us a goal at Falkirk the last time he played in defence and was ironically cheered off, rather harshly, by our fans last week.

The whole team looks disjointed and apart from Clark our best players look shakey at best. If Higgy and Cardle don't play up we just seem to fall to pieces with no idea what to do. The win against Saints seems like a different season.

Last season turned on the signings of Clark and Herron, we need some more midfielders in now.

I'd be tempted to go 4-2-3-1 for this one, but that doesn't suit Clark who is our main goal threat and we don't have enough midfielders in form. So maybe:

Murdoch

Williamson
Morris
Ashcroft
Talbot

Martin
Paton

Higginbotham
Shiels
Aird

McManus

That gives us pace on both sides (Williamson from deep on the right, Aird from the left), allows Shiels to play in his natural position and has two players shielding the back four - one who is a stopper and one who can be calm and spring counter attacks with some decent passing. We need to keep things fairly solid - if we lose the first goal it's game over.

Archived