Relegation Threatened Thistle vs Moultless Motherwell

Classic game of two differing halves.  Thistle started off on the front foot and benefited from the shake up in midfield. Took our chances and played the ball forward at every opportunity. 

Second half Bigirimana did a Mulumbu on us and let Tanner and Frear get into the game. I'm still not sure what the Motherwell goal was disallowed for (offside?). By now Woods was flagging and we found Barton and Edwards in midfield again. 

Just glad to get the win and we have another winnable game on Saturday.

First half performance is required to make a decent fist at safety. Play more second halves and we're off to Fife on league business.

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I forgot how much Tomas Cerny boils my piss. I'm generally a pretty easy going guy at the football but his timewasting and shithousing antics turn me into a raging da. 
Certainly carried that on from his Accies days.

It's annoying as f**k, aye, but it's also completely understandable. If the referee isn't going to do anything about it, then why would he hurry anything up in that position?

1 hour ago, Thistle_do_nicely said:

Sammons celebration, a Blair Spittal Special, Sammon and Edwards scoring. Well worth it so far (pun sorta intended)

Still cant fucking relax tbh, the way the season has gone so far...

...and with good fucking reason, too.

That second half was ridiculous; we either lost the first or second ball from EVERY. SINGLE. GOAL. KICK.

7 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

I'm still not sure what the Motherwell goal was disallowed for (offside?).

Yeah, whoever tapped it in right on the line seemed to be in an offside position. Not sure who it was, maybe McHugh? Funny thing about it was the ball was going in anyway and would have definitely been a goal if he hadn't tried to steal it.

2 minutes ago, Desp said:

Certainly carried that on from his Accies days.

It's annoying as f**k, aye, but it's also completely understandable. If the referee isn't going to do anything about it, then why would he hurry anything up in that position?

Exactly.  Always odd to see Thistle fans getting absolutely apopleptic about time-wasting (the St Johnstone game they beat us 1-0 springs to mind) when our keeper is an absolute pro.  Like you say, if referees are simply going to add a minute or so on at the end for it and rarely book the player, then why wouldn't you do it?  Shite for fans, but at the end of the day they want to win a game.

Yeah, whoever tapped it in right on the line seemed to be in an offside position. Not sure who it was, maybe McHugh? Funny thing about it was the ball was going in anyway and would have definitely been a goal if he hadn't tried to steal it.
I don't know if they gave offside or for studs up as the keeper was going for the ball.

After throwing the first half hard to be raging about anything else. Made our own bed. Went to the bottom of the league, just skelped at the weekend and sat 8 men behind the ball and even then we couldn't defend

Never seen Thistle lose a 3 goal lead. I thought I was about to tonight. Had we drawn, or even lost, I think we would have been fucked. Mentally not sure how we would have recovered.

Anyway, still laughing at Cerny basically talking the referee into disallowing the 'goal'. Between that and his time wasting he can't be very popular with Motherwell fans. Me? I love him.

3 minutes ago, forameus said:

Like you say, if referees are simply going to add a minute or so on at the end for it and rarely book the player, then why wouldn't you do it? 

Speaking of which, 4 minutes of stoppage time was generous to us. 2 goals, a full set of subs from both teams, the Woods injury, Cerny's general timewasting. Couldn't have really argued with 6 minutes, imo.

Refs are continuously shite managing the added time. Which is great for those who need to kill it.

The Motherwell goal was disallowed for offside. Stupid as f**k whoever tapped it in since it was going in anyway. Even then, if Cerny hadn’t kicked off, it looked like it would’ve been given, since both the ref and linesman seemed to give it until they spoke to each other. Bizarre. Still, if that was the other way around, I’d have been raging at the player tapping it in for giving them the decision to make in the first place - the ball was going in.

What a brutal second half that was. Well made good changes at half time but our defence was awful, yet again. I daresay if Moult was on the park, we’d have conceded four or five in that half.

Storey was excellent tonight, probably his best game in a Thistle shirt. I’m shocked he never won MOTM since he’s got it near enough every other home game this season. Woods also had a good game till he pulled up. Hopefully he’s okay for Saturday. Sammon has a great first half, but constantly lost his man when we were under pressure in the second.

Even though we were outstanding in the first half, in true Thistle fashion, we made it difficult for ourselves, and ended up being pretty lucky come away with three points. Will take them though we need a massive improvement defensively for Saturday.

Ryan Bowman? More like Ryan Elbowman, amirite? It was funny against the **** but he's a vicious b*****d. 

Ridiculous game, showed what we can do with an actual sitting midfielder but he was burst after 35 minutes and the second half was a rerun of the game at fir Park. I think Fraser's race might be run, sadly for him. Probably needs to drop down a level. 

At least we grabbed the lifeline offered, if we can get at least 4/6 from Dundee and Hamilton (ignoring celtic away in between)  we probably are still in with a shout of staying up 

Not that it matters now but for the “offside” goal Dunne’s actually on. Whoever the Thistle player at the back post plays him onside. I guess the lino only sees the first player. Keown’s probably playing him on too.

Dunne’s left foot is on the 6 yard line the Thistle boy at the back post is fully in the 6 yard area.

Doesn’t take away from us being utterly gash in the first half mind.

0d321584d89601e405d9a75b1a22bbec.jpg

1 hour ago, YassinMoutaouakil said:

I forgot how much Tomas Cerny boils my piss. I'm generally a pretty easy going guy at the football but his timewasting and shithousing antics turn me into a raging da. 

I don't think he took any more time taking a goal kick in the second half than he did in the first (I find this is often the case when fans rage at a 'keeper for 'timewasting'). It seems to be endemic in his play to take his time, which can infuriate us too as we rarely see him start a quick counter attack, even at 1-0 down late in a match. Delicious when he basically became the referee at the disallowed goal though.

Anyway how we contrived to turn that into an ugly, scrappy win I don't know. Both teams lacked quality in the middle and I don't think five passes were strung together all game. No one seemed to have the confidence or quality to take control of the ball and slow the game down a bit for us which led to the unbearable pressure in the second half - we just punted it to nowhere and regrouped as best as we could.

We did for once in the first half manage to win some tackles though and showed quality in the final third when we got there - the black guy with the blonde hair getting pasted time and time again.

Any kind of draw would have been a blow for us in the current circumstances, but blowing a 3 goal lead would have knocked the stuffing out of us irreparably. If we are to stay up this will probably go down as our most important result of the season.

We were terrific for 25mins of that game. Ripped Motherwell to shreds! 

The next 55+mins though you can see why we’re where we are.  Really poor all round.  Thought we looked a bit better when Lawless and Doolan came on but I still fear for this season. 

When your team goes 3 nil up it really should be a case of doing everything that you can ti keep them from having the ball.  However, we seemed to be actively lumping it back to them at every opportunity! If I was a Motherwell fan I’d be raging that we didn’t get at least a draw from that.

ill take it though  

OTIG

Just want to say as soon as we have a fit midfielder Barton can go as far away as possible.. don't understand people saying he had a good game at all, he's a liability constantly gives the ball away the only difference tonight was he put a bit of extra effort in to recover the ball when we didn't have it.

Exactly.  Always odd to see Thistle fans getting absolutely apopleptic about time-wasting (the St Johnstone game they beat us 1-0 springs to mind) when our keeper is an absolute pro.  Like you say, if referees are simply going to add a minute or so on at the end for it and rarely book the player, then why wouldn't you do it?  Shite for fans, but at the end of the day they want to win a game.
Err because that's what football fans do? Be extremely biased towards their own team and have double standards. Whether it's actually just part of the pantomime of going to the game and having a vent at the opposition players/fans, or actually being a thick hypocrite is a debate for another day.

What a bizarre game that was last night - still can't get myself into a seething frenzy over Accies-quality timewasting or the fact that the goal being disallowed was a shite piece of officiating regardless of whether Dunne was offside or not - the first half was the killer.

I get that every other week, we will be playing a team with more resources than us and so our very direct, pressing style is a good thing on those occasions - but on the other hand, we will be playing our peer group of teams other weeks and we need to have the courage to actually pass the ball and play some football when we do. Last night when Bigi and Tanner came on, we started moving the ball as well as we have for weeks and looked a half decent team - Frear was brilliant when he was was brought into play as he was constantly in the 2nd half. I'm more annoyed that from the outset we didn't play in a way that exposed Thistle's obvious weaknesses - and allowed them to have joy with ours.

McHugh is showing every sign of being a player that needs dropped for his own good - he has shown he is very decent indeed but is hugely short of confidence at the moment and has been the biggest disappointment of the season for me. I doubt even he would complain if Hartley was made captain as things stand - it doesn't seem to sit well with him.

This week has shown that we, like most teams, can't cope with our 4 best players being injured at once - but that can't be an excuse when the fringe players put up a decent show in the 2nd half that would see us being at least competitive.

PS - if there is a crowdfunder for some Grit Bins in Maryhill, count me in.

Archived