P&B Dead Pool 2018

Spain

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was thinking when I heard the news "A bit like his furniture, Kamprad fell apart after a number of years" 

He must have had a sense of humour though. The best selling bookcase is called "Billy" and how many Billys do you know that can actually read a book... 

3 hours ago, Ned Nederlander said:

Modest solo points for me as the World's oldest man passes

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-5329251/Worlds-oldest-man-dies-age-113.html

Third hit of 2018

2 objections to this story. Daily Mail quotes the Mayor as saying that his death "was a shame for the village and the entire world." Misstranslation of shame surely. And this:

He fought in the Rif War in the first half of the 1920s between Spain and the Berber tribes of the Rif mountains in Morocco and survived General Francisco Franco's 1936-75 dictatorship. 

If he fought in Morocco he was almost certainly under the command of Franco and he probably fought for him in the Civil War too. Well rid imo.

4 hours ago, sureiknow said:

Mark Salling Glee actor and pervert dead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-42880924

Salling's lawyer, Michael J Proctor, said in a statement: "I can confirm that Mark Salling passed away early this morning. Mark was a gentle and loving person, a person of great creativity" .

:thumbsdown

1 hour ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Just realised one of my Pool members is deid already (September 2017).

RIP King Abdul Halim of Malaysia.

Anyway, @Spain I have PM'd you re this and hopefully one of my subbies can be used.

Firstly, no you haven't. I've received no PM's. You've probably replied to a deleted conversation (I have to delete most of the entry PM's as the mailbox isn't big enough for all of them).

Secondly, see the rule highlighted in red below. September isn't the final throes of the year after you've submitted your team.

On 09/12/2017 at 22:25, Spain said:

There are rules however, and you'll be glad to know they haven't changed since last year:

Standard Rules

Firstly, and most importantly, if you meet me in a pub and I’m chatting to a fine lady don’t for the love of the wee man tell them I run a Dead Pool. It doesn’t matter who’s just died, it takes a lot of awkward explaining from there. And yes, this has happened before. No names mentioned.

Teams contain 15 picks. One pick is a "Captain" and another is a “Vice-Captain” who score extra bonus points should they die. This year your Captain will score double base points, and Vice-Captain 50% extra base points, so a younger Captain/Vice-Captain will score more than an older one.

You can't pick the same person more than once.

The game starts immediately after midnight into January 1st 2018 and runs up until midnight on December 31st 2018. Entries have to be in before the game begins, so at or before 23.59 GMT 31/12/17.

To clarify dates for ages and bonuses, other than the entry, start and end times for the games, local dates and times will apply to deaths. If a person dies in Australia in the early hours of the morning for example, their death will appear in their obituary as occurring on that local date regardless if it was still the night before UK time.

People have to be sufficiently famous that their obituary makes a UK-based national news source such as - but not limited to- BBC, national newspapers, or Reuters UK. Local newspapers and special interest magazines (Gardner's Weekly etc) aren't broad enough and don't count.

Regarding this rule: I can't really rule anyone out on the grounds I've not heard of them - people in the past have picked a shedload of wrestlers who were probably all valid picks but I'd heard of none of them. However if your pick dies and isn't so obviously famous that it's all over the news then it's up to you to find a qualifying news story. The main ones where people have difficulty ticking this off are American-specific sports stars of bygone days (NFL, baseball etc) where their death goes totally unnoticed on this side of the pond.

The Lauren Hill Rule - US College Sports stars or coaches will no longer be allowed.

The Liz Taylor Rule - No, not that one. If the person is a relative of a famous person, is he or she also a celebrity? I'm going to go simple with this one; does the person have their own genuine wikipedia or full IMDB page? No, then no dice.

Picks have to be human, real people (no soap opera characters etc) and over 18 years of age at the start of the game.

You're not allowed to pick people currently under sentence of death or awaiting trial where the death penalty is a viable outcome. If they’re fugitives on the run then they are eligible.

You're not allowed to pick someone famous *purely* for being ill. This one has caused a bit of confusion before. You're allowed to pick someone famous who has for example - cancer, and indeed this is a good strategy. This rule is about not picking folk that are raising loads of money for charity as they're about to die or anyone planning a glass of orange juice chez Café Dignitas.

You're not allowed to kill any of your picks. So if you do it, please make sure you get away with it. For all of our sakes.

If you pick someone that's already dead that’s your fault, they will be a wasted pick.

If one of your picks dies in the final throes of the year I’ll try and point it out to you and offer you to choose an alternative but the overall responsibility for your team is yours. Many Dead Poolers submit “reserves” with their lists just in case.

Archived