Trivia

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jim Leighton in about the 2nd minute of a final (against Rangers?) Robbie Winters took over in goal iirc, as Aberdeen didn't have a sub-keeper on the bench. They lost 4-0

Hibs had an utter clownshoe of a defender red card in the 5-1 final. Kuhabi or something.

1 minute ago, jupe1407 said:

Jim Leighton in about the 2nd minute of a final (against Rangers?) Robbie Winters took over in goal iirc, as Aberdeen didn't have a sub-keeper on the bench. They lost 4-0

Hibs had an utter clownshoe of a defender red card in the 5-1 final. Kuhabi or something.

Leighton was carried off, not sent off.  Rod Wallace booted him in the face.

26 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

Leighton was accidentally kicked in the face by Rod Wallace, as I recall.   There was about 17 minutes injury time played in the first half.  That weirdo Aberdeen manager went through a phase of not having a sub keeper, even though every other team did.  You know, just in case your keeper gets accidentally kicked in the face by Rod Wallace.

4 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Pa Kujabi is correct. 

Leighton wasnt sent off, he went off in a neck brace with a fractured jaw and no sub keeper, hence Robbie Winters going in goal.

4 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Leighton was carried off, not sent off.  Rod Wallace booted him in the face.

2 minutes ago, Savage Henry said:

Leighton was accidentally kicked in the face by Rod Wallace, as I recall.   There was about 17 minutes injury time played in the first half.  That weirdo Aberdeen manager went through a phase of not having a sub keeper, even though every other team did.  You know, just in case your keeper gets accidentally kicked in the face by Rod Wallace.

FFS remember it now. The final was pretty much ruined as any sort of contest from then on. Was that during Ebbe's "interesting" reign?

1 minute ago, jupe1407 said:

FFS remember it now. The final was pretty much ruined as any sort of contest from then on. Was that during Ebbe's "interesting" reign?

He was certainly a 'character' was Ebbe Skovdal.

Even under Barnes & Venglos six and seven goal pastings from Celtic were a regular occurrence for Aberdeen.

38 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Roy Aitken for sure. Hacking c**t.

The Celtic wiki pages makes for delicious reading on events.

http://www.thecelticwiki.com/m/page/1984-05-19%3A+Aberdeen+2-1+Celtic%2C+Scottish+Cup.

League champions Aberdeen were strong favourites to win this game. 

Celtic started well with Provan causing Aberdeen trouble on the right flank but the entire course of the game changed in 38 minutes when Aitken was sent off for a foul on Mark McGhee. It was Aitken's first offence in the game and he was sensationally sent off but it was the antics of McGhee, exaggerating his injuries until the red card was produced, and also Strachan's badgering of referee Valentine to order Aitken off which left a bad taste.

Celtic were already infuriated by Black's opening goal in which he looked suspiciously offside.

Celtic refused to buckle and MacLeod who replaced Aitken as sweeper had a magnificent game. With five minutes remaining Paul McStay scored a dramatic equaliser for the 10 men Celts to take the game to extra time.

However the villain of the peace, McGhee, scored the winner in extra time after Bonner had flapped at a cross ball from Strachan.

Aberdeen saw it out to lift the double but most on lookers were of the opinion that the brave Celts were worthy of a replay.

:lol:

18 minutes ago, jupe1407 said:

League champions Aberdeen were strong favourites to win this game. 

Celtic started well with Provan causing Aberdeen trouble on the right flank but the entire course of the game changed in 38 minutes when Aitken was sent off for a foul on Mark McGhee. It was Aitken's first offence in the game and he was sensationally sent off but it was the antics of McGhee, exaggerating his injuries until the red card was produced, and also Strachan's badgering of referee Valentine to order Aitken off which left a bad taste.

Celtic were already infuriated by Black's opening goal in which he looked suspiciously offside.

Celtic refused to buckle and MacLeod who replaced Aitken as sweeper had a magnificent game. With five minutes remaining Paul McStay scored a dramatic equaliser for the 10 men Celts to take the game to extra time.

However the villain of the peace, McGhee, scored the winner in extra time after Bonner had flapped at a cross ball from Strachan.

Aberdeen saw it out to lift the double but most on lookers were of the opinion that the brave Celts were worthy of a replay.

:lol:

"villain of the peace", eh?

10 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

"villain of the peace", eh?

I remember that game, showing my age here, if I recall correctly wee Strachan was over imploring Valentine to send Aitken off, waving the imaginary card, that was what irked most at the time, Aberdeen's first goal was offside too but Celtic played superbly well with ten men for an hour of the regulation time plus ET.

Would have got a replay had it not been for the real villian of the piece Packie Bonner who sold the jerseys at both goals, particularly the second where he did a superman impression attempt at coming for a cross which he completely missed.

• 2 weeks later...
Which eight players have, in their career won the World Cup, European Cup/CL and the Ballon D'or...?

Zidane, Ronaldinho, Kaka and Rivaldo in recent times.

Frank Beckenbauer & Bobby Charlton did back in the day...

And I can’t remember the other two! [emoji37]

1 hour ago, RossDee01 said:

Though one.

Zidane
Ronaldinho
R9 Ronaldo
Kaka
Cannavaro
Matthaus

All I can think of.

Neither fat not modern Ronaldo have won all three, nor Cannavaro or Matthaus, although to be fair the latter two I thought of when I heard this question.

Archived