Who would have thought? Morton are a terrible club...

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In all seriousness this is entirely  unacceptable. The club have made it clear that they paid up as soon as it was brought to their attention but it's a situation that should never have arisen in the first place and it speaks volumes of the culture of administrative incompetence that infested the club in 2014/15, when these players were employed. I'd hope the changes we've had in personnel since would prevent this ever happening again, but we shouldn't be complacent about it and the claim of being transparent rings hollow somewhat when it's only been mentioned publicly by the club in response to being shamed in the national media about it, with a pretty defensive tone rather than an apologetic one: https://gmfc.net/2017/12/08/club-statement-national-minimum-wage/

Still, total minter for the OP to try and point score over the issue, forgetting that his own club were not only guilty of the same offence but actually had to be threatened with legal proceedings by a player who was being illegally underpaid rather than admitting their wrongdoing. Where Morton, Falkirk and Motherwell held their hands up and corrected their errors, St Mirren insisted they had done nothing wrong: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-mirren-starlet-launches-legal-4399034

11 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

In all seriousness this is entirely  unacceptable. The club have made it clear that they paid up as soon as it was brought to their attention but it's a situation that should never have arisen in the first place and it speaks volumes of the culture of administrative incompetence that infested the club in 2014/15, when these players were employed. I'd hope the changes we've had in personnel since would prevent this ever happening again, but we shouldn't be complacent about it and the claim of being transparent rings hollow somewhat when it's only been mentioned publicly by the club in response to being shamed in the national media about it, with a pretty defensive tone rather than an apologetic one: https://gmfc.net/2017/12/08/club-statement-national-minimum-wage/

Still, total minter for the OP to try and point score over the issue, forgetting that his own club were not only guilty of the same offence but actually had to be threatened with legal proceedings by a player who was being illegally underpaid rather than admitting their wrongdoing. Where Morton, Falkirk and Motherwell held their hands up and corrected their errors, St Mirren insisted they had done nothing wrong: http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/st-mirren-starlet-launches-legal-4399034

That was scandalous, mind: newspapers throw the word 'starlet' around so much it's lost all meaning. 

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Still, total minter for the OP to try and point score over the issue.

Yeah, this wasn't "point scoring" (whatever that is), this was just a bit of tongue in cheek posting.

At least you address that it's unacceptable. Surely more unacceptable considering others had fallen foul. Lesson not learnt and all that.

2 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

Yeah, this wasn't "point scoring" (whatever that is)

See original post on this thread made by.. oh, you. 

more unacceptable :lol:

St Mirren, Motherwell and Morton don't surprise me. Falkirk just disappoint me.

I believe ours was probably Will Vaulks on an agreement between the player and club that turned out not to be legislative...then was rectified.

Not sure what St Mirren’s excuse was...previous regime. LOL!

On 08/12/2017 at 22:30, roman_bairn said:

I believe ours was probably Will Vaulks on an agreement between the player and club that turned out not to be legislative...then was rectified.

Not sure what St Mirren’s excuse was...previous regime. LOL!

Weasel words. The term you're looking for is 'legal', rather than legislative (ooft). The thing is, exploiting young workers with their consent isn't just a technical breach of the law it's the entire purpose. That's why there's a minimum wage in the first place - you can't contract out of your right to be paid the absolute bare minimum because unscrupulous employers will inevitably exploit you. The bad faith element isn't in withholding money lawfully due (although that also happens) it's in trying to circumvent the law by convincing young workers to forego their most basic right. 

Weasel words. The term you're looking for is 'legal', rather than legislative (ooft). The thing is, exploiting young workers with their consent isn't just a technical breach of the law it's the entire purpose. That's why there's a minimum wage in the first place - you can't contract out of your right to be paid the absolute bare minimum because unscrupulous employers will inevitably exploit you. The bad faith element isn't in withholding money lawfully due (although that also happens) it's in trying to circumvent the law by convincing young workers to forego their most basic right. 

Weasel words? No. Facts is all I have stated, you knob!

Exploitation is when something is done deliberately. Were my club guilty of naivety? Probably. However the player in question made the offer. Something that worked out extremely well for him in the end.

I do find it hilarious that a supporter of Dundee U, of all clubs, thinks it appropriate to quote morals at anyone.

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Weasel words? No. Facts is all I have stated, you knob!

Exploitation is when something is done deliberately. Were my club guilty of naivety? Probably. However the player in question made the offer. Something that worked out extremely well for him in the end.

I do find it hilarious that a supporter of Dundee U, of all clubs, thinks it appropriate to quote morals at anyone.

You'll be relieved to hear that I don't take my moral -or legal - instruction from my football club. What a bizarre scenario.

I'm not on the wind-up and so claim no particular victory here but you seem to be deeply rattled. I was simply trying to point out that the premise of your post was fundamentally flawed, legally. Vaulks may have consented to being exploited - or, as you suggest, may even have instigated it - but that doesn't excuse it. Falkirk should have people at the club with enough legal knowledge - not to mention moral fibre - to have insisted that the young man be paid a proper wage. Sadly, there's no shortage of unscrupulous employers only too happy to take advantage of desperate young workers in situations like this.

Incidentally, I doubt Falkirk are out on their own in behaving like this. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see other clubs, including my own, involved in similar. It's shite behaviour though and shouldn't be minimised on the basis that this one guy eventually made good career for himself.

Just now, roman_bairn said:

Three times you have made a twat of yourself in poor attempts at wind ups.

I would have saved you the indignity of a fourth but you you can’t help yourself....

You’re the one defending your scum bag club for exploiting an employee. Calling you a twat isn’t a wind up, it’s just a fact.

You’re the one defending your scum bag club for exploiting an employee. Calling you a twat isn’t a wind up, it’s just a fact.

Did I miss something or was it not your club that were the worse offenders?

Some people are born stupid...but you really take the biscuit....

Just now, roman_bairn said:

Did I miss something or was it not your club that were the worse offenders?

Some people are born stupid...but you really take the biscuit....

The difference is I’m not defending Morton, nor making excuses for their actions.

It’s the hypocrisy from you, and having the audacity to defend your club’s actions, that makes you a twat, as well as a stupid c*nt.

The difference is I’m not defending Morton, nor making excuses for their actions.
It’s the hypocrisy from you, and having the audacity to defend your club’s actions, that makes you a twat, as well as a stupid c*nt.

Anybody lost a puppy?

I seem to have one following me around.

Unfortunately he’s not house trained.

3 minutes ago, roman_bairn said:

Anybody lost a puppy?

I seem to have one following me around.

Unfortunately he’s not house trained.

Add shite patter to your repertoire of life achievements.

Replying to posts on a public messageboard on a topic about the team I support, when you have directly quoted me, does not make me a lost puppy, whatever that means.

Add shite patter to your repertoire of life achievements.
Replying to posts on a public messageboard on a topic about the team I support, when you have directly quoted me, does not make me a lost puppy, whatever that means.

Oh and the shite is coming out of both ends too ....

Archived