The Chronicles of the Banter Years (2012 - ∞)

2 hours ago, Drew Brees said:

Speirs called them out over it at the time but couldn’t back it up as he had no proof but claimed he witnessed it.

The Gilligan story ?

I've read that from a few different sources online, not sure exactly what he was shouting/singing but he always did come across as 'staunch' so perfectly feasible and likely.

12 minutes ago, Gianfranco said:

I always thought Rangers fans were called **** because German soldiers were called ****. We are the people is very Nazi like.

Nope it’s all to do with religion and religion only. Nothing else. No siree.

23 hours ago, bennett said:

It's hardly bizarre now is it, with the uncertainty over Graeme's future....

Defence needs to be the priority, not the midfield which really just needs another dm.

That post didn't age well. >£20k per week on Scott Arfield? Really? James McArthur won't be cheap either.

Edited by JamesM82

1 hour ago, Gianfranco said:

I always thought Rangers fans were called **** because German soldiers were called ****. We are the people is very Nazi like.

I watched an IRA documentary 'Behind The Mask' the other day and the catholic wives were out in the streets rattling bin lids singing 'Go home ya ****' to the British soldiers, so I'm guessing it's related to that. 

I watched an IRA documentary 'Behind The Mask' the other day and the catholic wives were out in the streets rattling bin lids singing 'Go home ya ****' to the British soldiers, so I'm guessing it's related to that. 

If you listen to Connor Mcgregors walk out music (Foggy dew) there is also a mention of 'britannias ****'. The song is ancient though before it was being potrayed as a religious war, I dont think you could accuse the army of being part of a paticular religious sect anyway.

Etymology note The use as a derogatory term for Germans actually goes back to the First World War. The Historic **** were a barbarian horde who invaded the Roman empire as it was beginning to collapse so it was being used to mean "Warlike and uncivilised" in the same way that the Vandals (a tribe who came later and actually managed to sack Rome) have entered the language. The Oxford English Dictionary lists it 

NOUN

A member of a warlike Asiatic nomadic people who invaded and ravaged Europe in the 4th–5th centuries.

A reckless or uncivilized destroyer.

The derogatory Irish Republican usage clearly came from the "Reckless or uncivilized destroyer" sense of the word in the same way as it's used for Germans

However the OED now recognises that it's entered the language as as a derogatory term for Germans in it's own right as opposed to through metaphor.

derogatory, informal A German (especially during the First and Second World Wars).

"The *** " Germans collectively.

The Irony of the "Foggy Dew" song is that it's about the 1916 Glorious Rising/Terrorist outrage * where Irish Republicans were joining WWI on the side of the Kaiser and against the Empire   

* I'm not judging

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

After the Brechin game, and East Fife in the League Cup they were heading for the 1st league game as SEVCO.

The talk was winning the league winning every game, records to be set, record points,  record goals, season won by.

The 1st ever league game arrived on 11 August 2012 - Peterhead 2 SEVCO 2, and the streets were littered with discarded coupons as the undefeated season collapsed in the 1st 90mins

In fact their first three away league games were all draws ( Peterhead 2 -2. Berwick R 0 - 0, Annan Ath 1 - 1 ), as the hilarityappeared across Scotland in the NE, the SW and even into England .

Edited by MEADOWXI
To clarify

7 minutes ago, MEADOWXI said:

After the Brechin game, and East Fife in the League Cup they were heading for the 1st league game as SEVCO.

The talk was winning the league undefeated, records to be set, record points,  record goals, season won by.

The 1st ever league game arrived on 11 August 2012 - Peterhead 2 SEVCO 2, and the streets were littered with discarded coupons as the undefeated season collapsed in the 1st 90mins

In fact their first three away league games were all draws ( Peterhead 2 -2. Berwick R 0 - 0, Annan Ath 1 - 1 ), as the hilarityappeared across Scotland in the NE, the SW and even into England .

A 2-2 draw meant an undefeated league season was still "on" but not a 100% one.

Edited by Jacksgranda