The Chronicles of the Banter Years (2012 - ∞)

16 minutes ago, 7-2 said:

PS - Also the first time I've heard of the 'world famous blue room'.  I take it it's world famous in Ibrox anyway.

Really? It's their trophy room, which led to the song

Oh the blue room is bare
There's no silverware
There's no Mr Sheen
Cos there's f**k all to clean

6 minutes ago, Mark Connolly said:

Oh the blue room is bare
There's no silverware
There's no Mr Sheen

Its not their trophy room its a hospitality type room. Funny song though:lol:

2014-15 - The Cups

While the league campaign would ultimately end up with nothing to show for it there was still the chance of 3 cup victories.  After failing to win the Challenge Cup in their previous 2 efforts you'd expect Rangers to step it up a gear this season.

Challenge Cup -

Clearly Rangers were taking this seriously this season. A battling 2-1 win over Hibs at Ibrox in the first round saw one of their biggest rivals knocked out almost immediately.  The other big rivals for it would be Hearts but they crashed out in the 2nd round to Livingston admittedly with a rather weakened side.  Their 4-1 loss left the door open for Rangers to crown their first ever Challenge Cup. 

Round 2 - Rangers 8 (EIGHT) - Clyde 1

Wow. Rangers run riot against a dismal Clyde side managed by former Rangers legend Barry Ferguson. 

Barry Ferguson greets old pal Ally McCoist

Kris Boyd scored a hat-trick while Lee McCulloch and Lewis MacLeod score two each.  The other goal coming from Fraser Aird.

Rangers' Kris Boyd celebates after putting his side ahead.

Rangers manager Ally McCoist (left) speaks with fourth offical Greg Aitken.

All smiles from Ally while poor Barry....

JS44290729.jpg

Next up?

Crest of East Fife

A trip to Methil on an October night.  This could actually be a tough encounter for Rangers....

East Fife 0 - 2 Rangers

Jon Daly and Ian Black with the goals here.  The most interesting part of the evening was Richard Foster and some of the Rangers fans having an argument after Foster lost the ball. 

There was good news off the pitch as well as a businessman called Dave King was in discussions with the board regarding ploughing in £16million into the club.  A Challenge Cup semi final and money in the bank? A bright day for the Rangers fans.

Image result for east fife 0 rangers 2 petrofac

Semi Final -

200px-Alloa_Athletic_FC_logo.png

Alloa v Rangers

Alloa had drawn their first 2 league matches against Rangers so this definitely had a whiff of banana skin in the air.  Alloa had never beaten Rangers before and were missing Simmons, Marr, Holmes, Cawley and Tiffoney. However Ally McCoist fielded a full strength side and it looked to be paying dividends. Kenny Miller opened the scoring just after half time before Dene Shiels put Rangers 2-0 up and guaranteed their place in the final.

The Final

Livingston FC club badge new.png v 200px-Alloa_Athletic_FC_logo.png

Wait what? 

Back to Alloa we go...

With 18 minutes to go Greig Spence popped up with a goal to make it 2-1 and create a little bit of tension in the Rangers back line. Amazingly Ryan McCord would equalise 2 minutes later meaning with 15 to go it was 2-2!  Who would grab the winner?  Step forward Spence again to score a last minute winner to spark wild scenes of jubilation in the home end.

Image result for alloa 3 rangers 2

Image result for alloa 3 rangers 2 spence

JS52200458.jpg

Image result for alloa 3 rangers 2

The full time whistle went shortly after and Rangers were out of the Challenge Cup.  This would be their 3rd season in the lower leagues (and probably their last) so they had missed their final chance to win this prestigious trophy. 

Livingston would beat Alloa in the final.

League Cup

Sound the klaxon! It's an Old Firm match for the first time in years! Credit where it is due Rangers did a great job in the League Cup knocking out numerous big sides - Queens Park, Inverness, Falkirk and St Johnstone were all dispatched with relative ease. 

The St Johnstone match was a strange one though as only 13023 people turned up to watch the match at Ibrox in protest against the clubs decision to accept a £2m loan from Mike Ashley which would basically give him control of the club. 

JS49597866.jpg

Sons of Struth protested outside the ground.

JS49602033.jpgA sore save by Simonsen!

JS49605121.jpg

The Rangers players celebrate the winning goal scored by Lewis MacLeod.

So on to Hampden

Celtic 2 v 0 Rangers

In what was possibly the most dull Old Firm match ever seen Celtic cruised through against the lower league opposition.  Ronny Deila's side never looked in any danger and goals from Leigh Griffiths and Kris Commons saw Celtic into the final. 

Scott Brown is shown a yellow card by Referee Craig ThomsonA rare sight...

Goodness knows what the Celtic fans were doing here...

Celtic fans light flares and hold up inflatables

Kris Commons celebrates scoring the second goal for Celtic

JS55851469.jpg

There was no shame in losing to Celtic though as they would go on to win the Cup beating Dundee United.

The Scottish Cup

A week after the above defeat to Celtic, Rangers had the perfect chance to bounce back with a home Scottish Cup clash with Raith Rovers.  A narrow 1-0 win in the 3rd round over Dumbarton was follow followed by a 3-0 thumping of Kilmarnock at Ibrox.  

With this being their last chance at silverware this season a lot of pressure was on the Rangers players when they took to the pitch against the Fife side.

The protests both inside and outside the ground were much bigger than before.

JS56340180.jpg

JS56340068.jpg

Not a single member of the Rangers board attended the match.

Image result for rangers 1 raith rovers 2

47-RAN_3478-800x534.jpg

JS56340262.jpg

Has anybody ever seen such anger in a young mans face before? Literally looks like he's about to shit a hedgehog.

49-RAN_3492-399x600.jpg

Image result for rangers 1 raith rover s2

Somewhere in there is Christian Nade who scored the winning goal as Rovers ran out 2-1 winners in front of a...well...empty Ibrox as can be seen above.  Ryan Conroy had opened the scoring with an absolute beauty of a free kick before Haris Vuckic equalised on his debut.  A massive goalmouth scramble followed with the ball falling perfectly for Nade to tap home. 

53-RAN_3507-800x533.jpg

So the 2014/15 season would see 3 different managers and a total of 0 trophies won. Nicky Law was their star man as he finished the season as top scorer.  Summer signings Kris Boyd  and Jon Daly both managed just 3 league goals.

I've been looking for the DVD review of the season but can't seem to find it anywhere online.

Would 2015/16 bring some joy to the troubled side?

Edited by The Minertaur

14 hours ago, 7-2 said:

Oh Motherwell...

I was at Ibrox for the cup game that day and they broadcast that total minter live on the big tellies. Added to a superb day all round.  :rolleyes:

The dignity that Rangers showed before, during and after the LC cup semi recently just serves to show why we should never engage with them at any level, never mind the fucking abomination above.

I love the taste of re-heated seethe.

13 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Oh the blue room is bare
There's no silverware
There's no Mr Sheen

Who needs Mr Sheen when you've got Barry Scott?

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/rangers/15713969.rangers-appoint-barry-scott-to-ibrox-board/

KDhU5Y.gif

13 hours ago, Mark Connolly said:

Oh the blue room is bare
There's no silverware
There's no Mr Sheen

13 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Its not their trophy room its a hospitality type room. Funny song though:lol:

Really. Why would I know what it is?

I know Ibrox has a trophy room to hold the trophies they bought from the dead club, a picture of the Queen in the home dressing room from pics on here and a marble staircase thanks to Alex Totten comments otherwise the less I know about that place the better. 

Going by Cowden's comment it doesn't look it's as world famous as believed!

This may be controversial, but I think 2011/12 should be included in the Banter Years.

Edited by JamesM82

I'm going to add this piece of pure comedy gold statement from Rangers in Feb 2013 to this thread, was originally posted in the "lets all laugh at rangers" thread.
https://rangers.co.uk/news/headlines/club-statement-27/
Credit goes to McQuade for finding it. 

I must have missed that one.

That is so embarrassing it’s untrue. That’s an official club statement FFS.

17 minutes ago, Dons_1988 said:

I must have missed that one.

That is so embarrassing it’s untrue. That’s an official club statement FFS.

It reads more like a guy being interviewed on Sportscene and talking off the top of his head than a (presumably) carefully-worded statement.

19 pages and no mention (from what I can see) of-

Neil Alexander's last minute own goal to give 10 man Elgin a draw at Ibrox

Gary Thom putting the boot into Ian Black's stomach

https://twitter.com/CraigGTelfer/status/633696496043597824

Lee "Jig" "Elbows" McCulloch diving to try and win a last minute penalty in front of 14 people in a game they drew 0-0. (47:25)

7 hours ago, JamesM82 said:

This may be controversial, but I think 2011/12 should be included in the Banter Years.

Remember the Malmo!

None of those club died. Unlike the uber diddies from Govan.
That's why, no matter what the zombie club do in the future, they'll always be the biggest laughing stock in Scottish football.

I take exception to zombie club, pedant that I am. A zombie suggests that they didn’t die. Tribute club is more accurate