Have you ever successfully posted anything to yourself?

Fullerene

Basically this is about using the postal service or couriers to deliver to something to somewhere so it will be there when you get there yourself (or maybe even sooner).

I have tried this once or twice to save money for extra baggage on the plane or to save me carrying it everywhere I go.

The reason I ask is that it has never succeeded properly for me.

Last week I was in Derry and bought 12 posters. Simple solution, buy four of those cylinders, pay 48 hour service to post home - they will still get there before I get home.

Not quite.  One arrived on Tuesday which was 6 days later.  Another arrived today (8 days later), another also arrived today but was empty.

.. and best of all - according to the website - one is back in Derry - "Inverness - where is that?"

Not overly concerned but it is slightly amusing.

Has anyone had better luck than this?

Yes

I walked from Mallaig to Montrose and posted maps and clothes to myself c/o the youth hostel in Newtonmore which was my half way point. I then  posted all my west coast maps and filthy clothes  from Newtonmore back home.

They were in a rare old state by the time i got home. f**k knows what the postie thought.

Anyone who works in a Post Office will be familiar with the local philatelists, who come in to post letters to themselves with the latest limited stamp releases affixed. They'll happily chew your ear off about all the times that they've arrived back postmarked in the wrong position.

How was the postmark on your limited edition Gene Wilder, Danny? Straight enough for you?

3 minutes ago, PB 4.2 said:

I found out that you can send yourself a personal message on P&B.   

Absolute game-changer for certain posters if they won't need an alias account to communicate with their alters  :o

Just now, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Absolute game-changer for certain posters if they won't need an alias account to communicate with their alters  :o

Also great for those that suffer from low self-esteem.    Feeling low?   

1. Send yourself a heartwarming wee message.    

2. Log off 

3.  Tan a bottle of Gordons Gin 

4. Log in and read the pre-written message, with a warm glow.  

Could keep the border-liners away from the depression thread.  

40 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Anyone who works in a Post Office will be familiar with the local philatelists, who come in to post letters to themselves with the latest limited stamp releases affixed. They'll happily chew your ear off about all the times that they've arrived back postmarked in the wrong position.

How was the postmark on your limited edition Gene Wilder, Danny? Straight enough for you?

Why do they want a post mark over their lovely new stamp?

Surely that's like buying a Killie strip and getting Dapode Kayode to sign it? Pointless and ruins it.

About 30 years ago tried to post a Private mag from Majorca. Customs got to it first. They sent me a letter asking me if I wanted to go to court to try and get the post back from them. Gave them a miss, live and learn and all that.

2 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Surely that's like buying a Killie strip and getting Dapode Kayode to sign it? Pointless and ruins it.

Frankly, I was too scared to ask.

Have any P&Bers taken up stamp collecting to take their mind off the bodies piling up in the cellar?

9 minutes ago, whiskychimp said:

Lot of people send a valentine card inside an envelope addressed to the post office in the English village of Lover. The card is then sent on with a Lover post mark on it.

I sent a bag from Manchester to Hong Kong by DHL as the excess baggage charge was much  greater.  It came on the same plane as me, and they delivered it to my apartment about 3 or 4 hours later.  Excellent.

10 hours ago, whiskychimp said:

If you want to keep a mint version of the stamp, you wouldn't be sticking it on an envelope anyway. 

The whole point of them is that you get a fancy envelope with a full set of the stamps and a special postmark over them. They're called First Day Covers. I used to collect stamps as a kid and I've got quite a few of them... I'm hoping they'll be worth quite a bit, but in all probability, they're not. 

Edit: Still, they're a hit with the ladies, which is the main thing. 

If you want to keep a mint version of the stamp, you wouldn't be sticking it on an envelope anyway. 

The whole point of them is that you get a fancy envelope with a full set of the stamps and a special postmark over them. They're called First Day Covers. I used to collect stamps as a kid and I've got quite a few of them... I'm hoping they'll be worth quite a bit, but in all probability, they're not. 

Edit: Still, they're a hit with the ladies, which is the main thing. 

Tramp stamps?

Edit- I just remembered I sent a few belongings off about 2 weeks before I moved to Thailand. Received them about 2 months after I arrived. Quite quick

5 hours ago, SlipperyP said:

Tramp stamps?

Edit- I just remembered I sent a few belongings off about 2 weeks before I moved to Thailand. Received them about 2 months after I arrived. Quite quick

I was on holiday in Ko Samui about ten years ago. I sent my dad a postcard and it took over two years to arrive.

Archived