Elgin City Vs Edinburgh City

So Edinburgh make the long journey up to Elgin on Saturday with new manager James McDonagh STILL looking for his first win!

Elgin have been in decent form climbing up to third in the league.

I'd be pleased with a point here, but fear Elgin will be too good for us!

I'm going to be optimistic and predict that Saturday's defeat was simply down to Annan being our bogey team and we'll pick up our form from beforehand. There aren't many better fixtures to get back on track with.

Elgin's ON??! Well, better than going there in a midweek I suppose...!

This could be the most disastrous trip into polar conditions since Captain Scott in 1912. 

I'm just going out for a pie, I maybe some time... 

Edinburgh defended well and Elgin as so often were clueless in front of goal. If we had s ored first I am sure we would have got a few more as Edinburgh would have to have attacked but as it was they were able to sit back and let Elgin mess about in the middle then lose the ball in the final third. It's hard work being an Elgin fan!

The first half and large parts of the second were a continuation of the game at Galabank last week. Distribution in the midfield by some players is dire with balls going straight to the opposition  and lots of huffing and puffing up front, with no real threat. Only when  Sutherland and Byrne came on did we manage to get some width on the flanks and turn their defence.

Edinburgh's defence were excellent with Beattie holding the line, a couple of excellent saves from their goalie  and with the general stature of their players at the back, it has to be questioned(same at Annan last week) why we persist in pumping balls high up the  field for them to mop up, when we are clearly at our best when we play the ball on the deck .

Next week's game is going to be a real test if reading the Montrose v Berwick link is anything to go by. If we persist with the same approach I fear we will be getting a real going over. Of coarse we could always adopt the defend at all costs mentality  and hope for a breakaway goal. 

As a matter of interest you Elgin fans, what's the position with Shane Sutherland? He was your McAllister before he got crocked last season. Is he struggling/not the same player now?

Will still be an interesting game at Mo next week as you lot have a good record there - but, history is history!

Archived