AVERAGE CROWDS in Lowland League

Bestsinceslicebread

37 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Some photos from the recent Hawick v Vale of Leithen game on twitter, @Vikinghopper - from his pic of the stand then reverse of the grass across from it, it looked about 40-50 in the stand and no one outside.

I counted just over 60 at the game. 

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, Landan Spiv said:

Totally agreed. Both teams seemed decent. I thought a few more would be there though seeing as there were no other Edinburgh clubs playing last night. What I will say though is the Edinburgh uni chairman was very welcoming and the clubhouse was very cosy. That club are definitely worth a visit to a neutral or a fan of an Edinburgh club at a loose  end one day. 

Absolutely. It was my first visit to Peffermill and it wont be my last.

• 2 weeks later...
8 hours ago, WitsTheGoalieDain? said:

Terrible for a senior game.

It's been classed as a Senior league game off and on for over 60 years now. You could argue it's terrible for what's the 5th Tier of Scottish Football.

Even that would be a temporary concern as Hawick are already relegated with Vale of Leithen potentially following. Then you could argue it's terrible for the 6th Tier of Scottish Football.

16 hours ago, WitsTheGoalieDain? said:

Terrible for a senior game.

Well over 200 at Shire ww yesterday. 

Would nae matter if 20 or 2000 imo you've got well run clubs (at all  grades) with hard working committees that keep the game we all love  going! 

1 hour ago, newcastle broon said:

Would nae matter if 20 or 2000 imo you've got well run clubs (at all grade grades) with hard working committees that keep the game we all love  going! 

Official total from the Shire thread is 176 - I woudl've put it down as over 200 as well, but I've never been good at estimating crowd sizes.

Most importantly though - do people have nothing better to do than jump into a forum on the Scottish 5th tier to crowdwank?

10 hours ago, AlansHotBath said:

Official total from the Shire thread is 176 - I woudl've put it down as over 200 as well, but I've never been good at estimating crowd sizes.

Most importantly though - do people have nothing better to do than jump into a forum on the Scottish 5th tier to crowdwank?

We average a new thread once every 6 weeks. 

Would nae matter if 20 or 2000 imo you've got well run clubs (at all  grades) with hard working committees that keep the game we all love  going! 

Fair point! Wasn’t meaning to sound disrespectful to the clubs in the lowlands, simply stating a fact. Scottish football as a whole is in a terrible state.

6 hours ago, WitsTheGoalieDain? said:

Fair point! Wasn’t meaning to sound disrespectful to the clubs in the lowlands, simply stating a fact. Scottish football as a whole is in a terrible state.

Is it? Fair enough we continue to slide down the rankings but crowds wise are we really doing that bad? I went to Widnes v AFC Liverpool after the derby on Saturday and the crowd was 79. That was North West Counties, £6 to get in and Widnes 2nd in the table - probably a similar standard to the bottom half of LL. 

1 hour ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Is it? Fair enough we continue to slide down the rankings but crowds wise are we really doing that bad? I went to Widnes v AFC Liverpool after the derby on Saturday and the crowd was 79. That was North West Counties, £6 to get in and Widnes 2nd in the table - probably a similar standard to the bottom half of LL. 

Beat me to it Rab. On the park our game is in a helluva state, but it’s all we’ve got, and we continue to support it in respectable numbers imo.

2 hours ago, haufdaft said:

People ask because they are interested. What's the problem with that?

Where else would they find out as many clubs do not publish their attendance?

On the existing threads.  

2 hours ago, haufdaft said:

People ask because they are interested. What's the problem with that?

Where else would they find out as many clubs do not publish their attendance?

Whitehill's crowds are published in the programme. Rab's too modest to tell you :wub:

Whitehill's crowds are published in the programme. Rab's too modest to tell you :wub:
I suppose you could go searching through all the clubs individual sites or buying their programmes.

I'd suggest it may be a bit easier just asking here.

I don't know why it upsets Lowland league team supporters when fans from other leagues show an interest.

1 minute ago, haufdaft said:

I suppose you could go searching through all the clubs individual sites or buying their programmes.

I'd suggest it may be a bit easier just asking here.

I don't know why it upsets Lowland league team supporters when fans from other leagues show an interest.

Whitehill tends to be 80-130 depending who's playing, from Edu to Gala or Gretna. Occasionally 250 for Spartans visits. In the good old days in the 1990s we could get a good 1200 or so in the Scottish Cup, now it's more like 350.

Whitehill tends to be 80-130 depending who's playing, from Edu to Gala or Gretna. Occasionally 250 for Spartans visits. In the good old days in the 1990s we could get a good 1200 or so in the Scottish Cup, now it's more like 350.

Pollok, Clydebank, Talbot, Linlithgow etc. pull around 300-400+ for your average league games. It’s a weird one when there’s Junior teams with more fans than these senior teams. Sooner a decent pyramid structure comes into play, the better.

11 minutes ago, WitsTheGoalieDain? said:

Pollok, Clydebank, Talbot, Linlithgow etc. pull around 300-400+ for your average league games. It’s a weird one when there’s Junior teams with more fans than these senior teams. Sooner a decent pyramid structure comes into play, the better.

It is what it is and has been for years.  There’s obviously a few more watch at some bigger junior clubs but some senior clubs are just as strong on the field. Some are even better run with good youth systems and facilities. Bring on the pyramid we’ve been trying for years. :) 

• 8 months later...

Archived